Narcolepsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Has anyone ever heard of a beardie or other reptile with narcolepsy? I'm starting to wonder if that might be part of what's going on with Campbell Jane. She will be awake and active, and then literally a split second later, her eyes are closed and she's unresponsive. It seems to happen more often when I'm doing something that stimulates her, such as giving her a bath or feeding her. I saw a show about a dog who had narcoleptic attacks when he was excited, such as during play time or at feeding time. It looked exactly like what happens to Cam.

1DRAGON

Hello Jasper's Mom. How long have you had your beardie? If you just got it, you may need to let it adapt to the new pad for a while. I didn't handle my Rex for at least a week after I got him. Sounds like your beardie is reacting that way due to too much stress. In the pet store when I handled mine, He sat there on my shirt like a statue, with both eyes closed, afraid to move. Then he pooped. I later learned it was due to the stress. Hope this helps you. Good luck!

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sandi, if you haven't already, you might want to mention this to the vet. That could be quite dangerous for an ill beardie, especially for her digestive system.

Does the narcolepsy last long? If it's only a couple of seconds, maybe it won't be much of concern. Or she may be having issues with properly pumping the blood through her heart during excited situations, thus causing her to be unresponsive.

Boy, she sure knows how to keep you on your toes, huh?

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I did mention it to the vet, and he said that in all the years he's been practicing, he has never seen or even heard of a reptile with narcolepsy. Not to say it couldn't happen, just that it's not at all common. I think it must be due to the stress of the bath and the feedings.

Bowser does this too...she just closes her eyes and stops responding to things. She'll also do it if you touch her face or head. I just thought it was a personality thing.

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
Wow! Never heard of a reptile with it, but as you mentioned, I saw videos of a dog who had it. Poor thing. I hope Miss Campbell is ok :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom