Nails???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peanut04

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone,
I have a question. My beardie Bob...his nails are horrible, they are so sharp that my daughters won't pick him up anymore. Everytime they do he runs up their arms and they bleed from the scratches :( I went to pets mart to get crickets and the girl told me to use kitten nail clippers.....( I know...petsmart :roll: ) I did buy them, but I havn't used them....I'm afraid I am going to hurt him....is there anything I could use to somehow file down his nails or clip them??

Thanks,
Dana

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I've heard to use baby nail clippers. I just take mine to the vet to get their nails trimmed. If you put tiles in the viv it's suposed to help keep their nails filed down.
Sara

MeatHead

Hatchling Member
I had posted a thread about this a while ago because MeatHeads nails were getting really long and sharp. I was told to use regular nail clippers or a nail file. I found a video on youtube that shows what to do. You can use reg nail clippers and just trim the very tip of the nail. The black part. Its kinda like trimming cats nails, you can't go too far up or you will cut the quick and they will bleed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-1HR0T-at8

That is the video we watched and it helps. He also says that its easiest when they are calm and dont want to explore. If your beardie is used to being held and stays calm while you are holding them then he/she should be fine. You could also try to burrito your beardie and see if that helps, or try right before lights out while he/she is sleepy and doesnt want to do much.

I hope I have been able to help some. I cant remember what to use if you accidentally hit the quick and they bleed. Maybe someone else will chime in and let you know about that part.

Also what do you use for substrate? Ceramic tile will also help file their nails down if you use that as substrate.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Our vet covers our beardies eyes when they get their nails trim. As for the bleeding, there is a powder you can buy for dogs. I think its a sulfur mix. I would assume it's okay for beardies, but I'm not positive.
Sara

Peanut04

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone! I use reptile carpet right now, but since he needs a bigger tank I'm kinda waiting for that to put tile down( I also heard that tile helps file them down) I'm going to wait for my husband to get home and help me before I mess with him :D

Dana

EllenRae

I've cut my own beardies nails since he was a baby and haven't ever had any problems. It seems fairly easy to me as to where to clip and where the quick is. If you don't feel comfortable cutting them though, I wouldn't. The last thing I would want is to hurt my lil guy.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
It makes me nervous every time I cut Scorch's nails, but she sits still and haven't had any problem. If you look at the nail closely you can see the white part that should get cut off and where to stop so they don't bleed. It is not hard but understandable to be nervous about it. Their little feet are so small it's scary.

spikez123

Hatchling Member
that pedipaws for dogs was recomended by my vet. he said to turn it on then just touch their nails cause any longer and you can get their fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom