nails worn down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grommet

Hatchling Member
Hi all! I need some advice with one of my newest additions.

I adopted two dragons a few weeks ago, both have mild MBD from improper lighting and were on calci-sand.... The boy is a super eater and loves his set up but is very active, running back and forth in his tank off and on throughout the day and glass dancing often. A few of his nails are almost completely worn down to his toes. I've been covering the tile in his tank with fleece (changed every day, as he hasn't gotten the hang of pooing in the bath) but am worried that he is waring them down from glass dancing.

Anyone had this problem before? suggestions?
Do some BDs have softer nails than others, or is this directly related to calcium deficiency?
Will his nails grow back?

He doesn't appear to be in pain, but I am worried, as I assume they are worn down well past the "quick." Also, I have seen no sign of blood - none of his nails/toes look bloody.... surprising, as they have worn down quickly.

I'd hate to put him on play sand, as he does poo in his tank, but reptile carpet is a bit on the pricey side.

Any of you keep your dragons on folded fleece blankets? See any problems with that?

Thanks!
Kailin

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
hi there,

Well I cant say for certain, but nail strength does have a link with calcium in humans, so I would imagine the same would be true for beardies.
I think its a sensible step to keep him on a soft surface until he builds up his calcium levels and gets some nice strong nails.

I have a disabled dragon called Ruben who is missing a whole arm and leg on one side so has to drag himself along the floor with his other leg, so in order to allow him to get a good grip Ruben is housed on a bath towel.
He is so much more active on it than he is on rock or slate surfaces and he has suffered no ill affects from it (other than developing nails that I need to trim!)

I would suggest you try toweling rather than a fleece. Towel tends to have a rougher texture and he might be more comfortable on it. If you are worried about it being too hard on his toes you can pop the fleece under the towel so it is very soft and has more give to it. It will be harder for him to snag or wear down his nails that way.

The nails should grow back now he is in good care unless they have been completely ripped off.

I would also suggest you try some "rice rocks".
Considering he is so active it would be a shame to remove all his climbing branches/logs/bricks etc to make sure he doesnt wear his nails down on them. Insted try replacing them with a few stacked up rice rocks.
A rice rock is very basic.
All it is is a sock packed full of uncooked rice tied off at the end.
They allow your dragon to climb around without scuffing up his nails. Ruben uses his to climb (see bellow!)
My baby also has one in her viv which she loves, because you can pop a ricerock in the microwave for 30 seconds to get it nice and warm for them to bask on.

here is Ruben showing off his toweling and rice rock staircase:
DSC00870.jpg

Hope to have been of some help :)

Holly

Grommet

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Holly!!!!!! Rice rocks are a brilliant idea for little Peug!I think I will go with towel too, at least for now, until I make sure his nails are growing back. I feel horrible that I have to change his viv (he's just calmed down and gotten used to it this way - I got the "where's my stuff?!!" frantic dance for a week when I first brought him home) but it's for the best I'm afraid.

Thanks again!!!

Kailin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom