nail clipping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrlyBloomerzBaby

Hatchling Member
Ok two questions actually

Spyke is 1 year and a few mnths old now and his nails are pretty sharp. [they cut the crap out of my hands] I was reading a lot about how to clip a beardies nails, so I know how, BUT I don't know how to distinguish the difference between the vein and his actual nail as the black line goes to the very end of his nail. Which leads me to my next question. . .Obviously, I don't want to hit the quick. . .but if I do and it starts bleeding, what is a good way to stop the bleeding without causing him any harm?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Caitlynn

Tigg

Juvie Member
All you need to be doing to trim their nails is to cut the sharp tip off, don't try to cut all the way down to the quick, beardie's nails do not grow as fast as a dog or cats.

A little dab of an antibiotic cream (i.e.. polysporin) should slow the blood down enough for it to clot within a few min. it that doesn't work... and I know a lot of people may jump on my for saying this but CRAZY GLUE works great.... Others will recommend "liquid band-aid". I don't find that stuff ever works very well, and is expensive. Crazy glue has been used for eon's as a home remedy for cuts on humans, it is also 100% non toxic and would be just as safe to use on your beardie's nail.

Just please keep in mind that I am talking about using a very, very, very small amount!!

OrlyBloomerzBaby

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the help! The Crazy Glue idea is a good one. To be honest it made me laugh. I will use that if the polysporin doesn't work. Or if there are no other better ways to stop the bleeding.

Thanks again
~Caitlynn

OrlyBloomerzBaby

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wait. . .I just watched that youtube video on clipping a beardies nails and it said that its ok to clip up to the white part [but not past!]. . .[I thought the black was the vein?] Anyway is it safe to do that?

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-1HR0T-at8

Here is a decent video explaining how to do it. There are other videos on youtube that have kids laughing ,yelling and shoving their hands in the beardies face making it uncomfy! Please Try and be very careful when you do and make sure your beardy is comfy. :mrgreen:

Let us know how you did.

OrlyBloomerzBaby

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Spyke did great! I layed him on his blanket in front of the window so he had something to occupy him... I clipped them within maybe 5 minutes. . .with no problem at all!

Thanks
Caitlynn

p.s. I watched that youtube video. . .BIG HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom