MY TWO NEW RESCUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
update, grumpy is finally eating on his own. he actually ate some supers today and yesterday and some of his greens. he ate more supers in one day then he did his first whole week. he is allready less grumpy, lol.

aidan724

Hatchling Member
I am so glad that you got them & that they are doing better. :) I'm sure they will continue to blossom with you.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've been following you on facebook, but wanted to check out your thread here, you're getting great advice and I hope you can get your two to the vet soon. I know it's expensive, but it's worth it, as yellow fungus is an awful disease. You got some great answers on Facebook, too, which is great. Good luck!

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have an appointment for 1pm week from today. I talked to the vet for over 30 minutes, she had lots of questions, and asked me what I was doing now for it, and gave me some helpful help and some warning about my two others and even warned me that people can get yellow fungus too who are have issues with their immune systems,(not that I have an issue with my immune system) so she suggested always washing with warm water and soap every time I touch them and not let any other people touch them. She also told me to keep their cages really clean. so I am all a go on that. She was the only recommendation from three different vets in my area, said she was the best reptile vet in a 150 mile radius if not more.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well that is good new & Hi Sue, I love reading your posts on Facebook, too, you're always such a great help. Chris I hope you get good news of your 2 new beardies and that it's not yellow fungus after all. You've done miracles with them in the short time you've had them. The previous owner should be made accountable for such bad husbandry, but I know they'll thrive with you! I have 3 rescues and always get so angry at the terrible way they're taken care of, but guess I have to get off my soapbox, I'm just glad they're yours now.

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I saved the original post from craigslist, it has been deleted but I saved the text of the post:
i have 2 male dragons in separate cages, that need homes, i should have never taken them on I forget i have them all the time. The can go at no cost i did not pay for them I have full enclosures and will sell their set ups with heat and UVB each with an extra bulb the cages are "custom" about 5 feet long and they will go with the meal worm "colony" thanks for looking Oh and they Can not go to a rescue.

the whole reason they could not go to a rescue, was because (I found this out latter from the rescue group who went there before me) the rescue center, told her she should have taken better care of them, that he felt the one had yellow fungus and that she was not feeding them right. She kicked them out. the rescue group is in a group of mine on facebook and told me this, he even told me more history about them then she gave me. He knew the original owners before her. I even told the lady that it looked like yellow fungus to me, and she said "no its not, thats just his natural colors" and she got real defensive, so I just shut up, I wanted them out of her house.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Sounds like she's a real beaute. UGH. I'm glad you "shut up" and got to take them! :wink: They are far better off with you! They are already making great strides in your care!
I keep a big jug of GermX next to Dino's tank. I use it before and after I pick her up/put her down. I have it at my "medical station" too. Use it before I put the disposable gloves on and after (this is because she has MRSA-not because of the fungus, I've never worn gloves prior to the MRSA). Before I touch anything that gets touched by anyone else, I squirt my hands. I'm pretty sure I have the most dried out hands this side of the Mississippi! LOL! Put it this way... I squirt my hands before I wash my hands! Not.Even.Kidding. :?
I've never been told that yellow fungus is transmittable to humans. I've asked 2 of the vets out of the 4 that I've had. I suppose if someone is immuno-suppressed, they could be at risk for anything though. I think I did read that in an article somewhere... about being immuno-suppressed and keeping away from the YF infected beardie. Hoping that it's NOT YF. That would really stink. :| *Fingers Crossed* for you! I'm looking forward to seeing your updates!
(Hi Deb! :wave: )

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So am I & am crossing my fingers that it's something else entirely. I've followed Dino on Facebook and it's just awful and so difficult to get rid of, Dino's doing so well, considering and Sue is the ultimate beardie slave. So I'm so glad that you got these two, as they're already doing well under your care. I'm also glad that stupid previous owner put an ad on Craig's list and that you spotted it, it was meant to be. How could anyone forget they have 2 dragons in 5 foot tanks? Just boggles the mind, that does :banghead:

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, I got back from the vets, wow, the vet was great with them, and she was very reasonable with her prices. for her to see both of them, and get the scraping and testing on Gimpy, it only cost me 146.50. She doesn't feel its yellow fungus, but she said you never know. She said if it is, its in the early stages except she suspects the nose, and toes are from some kind of fungus issue. Gimpy aka Buddy is, with Lamisil and Betadine baths, looking alot better from when I got him, she said continue doing those baths and giving him lamisil daily and keep his cage really clean. She says there is no signs of a fungus on Grumpy aka Spike. A scraping was done on Gimpy and I will not know results, she said, mostlikely for a month or two. She weighted them both and they have added a bunch of weight since I got them. Gimpy is now 394g and Grumpy is 325g. If you remember, Grumpy was having to be fed by syringe for the longest time. I got him he was near 240g. They are doing great, thanks all for your support. And help. Ill keep you updated when I know more. Oh, Gimpy does have an issue on his tong, the tip is gray and she was little concerned with it. She gave me Genamicin Ophth Soltion for his tong and need to give him one drop on his tong daily for 10-14 days. she said its weak enough to not cause issues with his stomach and his natural bio in his belly but would not hurt to give him some soy yogurt if I can get him to eat it. So I think to be safer then sorry, I am going to pick up some tomorrow. Is there something else better out there for him then the soy yogurt?

also, as you can tell, I am still having troubles with names for them, but I think they will keep their original names and their new names and refer them here as both, but mostlikely their original names of Gimpy and Spike.

Thanks so much everyone with the suggestions of the lamisil and the Betadine baths, the vet was really impressed that I was doing that, and said to keep it up, she thinks in reality, from some of the pictures I showed to her of him before I started the treatment, she thinks he is doing wonderful. I have two months or so possibly to find out what is wrong, and she wanted me to continue this untill we find out whats going on.

william488

Juvie Member
Original Poster
oh, ya I forgot, she also said she thinks Gimpy has had MBD in the past, as his bottom jaw is not alligned right, it is pushed forward and to the left a bit. From the pictures of when I got him, to now, she thinks I got him with it and its slightly correcting it self now that he is getting both calcium and lights. I am not sure if I allready said it here, but he was only under a fishing tank light, no reptile lights, only Spike was, and he was under a reptisun 5.0 both did not receive calcium either on their bugs and this was atleast the last 6 months or so before I got him, not sure of how they were taken care of their first 6 months except I know that Spike was burned bad by his basking light about 7 to 8 months ago now.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so glad you found a good vet and got a good price for seeing both of them. Good for you! And so glad the betadine baths and Lamasil were already treating the fungus, so hopefully it's not yellow fungus.

And it does make a world of difference when they get the right UVB and calcium on a regular basis. The MBD might never go away but it will improve, I mean look at the improvement already!

Soy yoghurt is a probiotic, so there are a few other options for you, Acidopholus and Benebac are two. Tracie, who's a moderator here, has a site http://www.bug-de-lite.com where you can buy either. I've used Benebac and it was very useful for a dragon I rescued, Gabriel, last April. He was the same, really skinny, dehydrated and he was also full of parasites, so the Benebac helped put good bacteria back into his digestive system and helped him heal. So either of those will do your beardie good. I order often from Tracie. There are several other sites, http://www.beardeddragon.co that is a store run by Cheryl & has alot of other things, too. I like the fact that Tracie has liquid Acidopholus, not just powder, so sometimes is easier on their stomachs, also Tracie has electrolytes, which helps if your dragon is dehydrated, but if you're giving them at least 3 baths a week, then they're well hydrated.

I am SO glad you took them in, they are doing do well under your care. Just keep doing what you're doing and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I read the update on FAcebook, so glad it's not Yellow Fungus and that they're both doing well and shedding. It's wonderful news!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SilverSelene
Top Bottom