My Tokay Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Today I went out and got a few Tokay Geckos. Boy are they beautiful. :)

Anyway, from every person 'experienced' with tokays I have heard that they are either just nasty, untameable, or overall bad pets(with few exceptions). I got home and before I put them in their viv, I was holding one for about 15 minutes and he was only just starting to calm down. By calming down I mean he went from nippy to get away-y. I set him in the cage and got my second one, and she was nippy for about 20 minutes before she started to calm down. Basically I think they have an extremely bad temper, of course, but you only have to be patient and trusting for a short, or possibly long, time before they make a fun pet to hold. :)

To compare to a beardie, I've only ever had the run away from the giant hand phase before I got my beardies to open up to me. That took about a week for each. My tokays seem like they will become very tame over time if I work with them. I am thinking it's just the fear of being bitten that people are so afraid of tokays. :) Kinda obvious, huh..lol. Well, it won't be long before I get them to be friendly, from get away-y.

Just thought I'd share that. :)

Does anyone else have some tokays? Experiences with them?

I don't own any but I have met some that other people have. It seems to me that they are more aggressive in that they will attack rather than just run, but overall if they are handled regularly they should calm down. My dragon was very aggressive when I first got her but after a few months she basically begged to be held.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom