MY Setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Not sure if this SHOULD be in Health, but I care about my beardies health and I would really like anyone and everyone willing to tell me what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong with my beardies care and cage/setup.

I am new to this board. I also have a very new dragon and I am very worried about her health because when I got her she was a bit sick. I am hoping my setup is not making things worse, and I am doing things right, because that's what I want to do for my Squeak.:)

I will be providing pictures but if this is not enough, I should be here on and off to respond and explain more about what you ask(if you ask).

Without further adieu..

This would be my cage setup. I have two pictures.
Cage.jpg

Cage2.jpg

This is the calcium supplement that I dust her crickets and veggies with.
Calcium.jpg

NOW THIS is what I am mostly worried about, because it's what I know about the least(I think). This is her UV lighting, and the info on the bulbs that come with it.
UVlightbox.jpg

UVlightinfo.jpg

Any advice? Anything you can teach me, ask for, or tell me will be muchly appreciated! Thank you!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Corey. The Zilla is a bulb that has been responsible for causing all sorts of problems from eye problems to health complications. It is a very strong light, but puts out the incorrect wavelength of UVB. That simply means the wavelength that it puts out is not conducive to D3 synthesis which over time can lead to metabolic bone disease.
I would switch UVB sources to see if there is any differerence. Try getting the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for awhile to see if there is some improvement. One thing is that the screen does filter out at least 80-90% of the UVB so if you can find a way to mount it underneath of the screen so it is within 6-8 inches from him that would be helpful.
How often are you dusting with calcium and vitamins?
Since your beardie is so young, be sure to keep him well hydrated as babies can get dehydrated VERY quickly.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay. Bad light :( Could you give me an estimate on how much the reptisun 10 bulb would cost? Don't I need a lamp to go with it? x.x I will be going to the store tomorrow...I am really worried about money, though. I will have to make it happen. >.<
I put about 10 little crickets in her tank mid-day and a couple more an hour or so before she goes to bed. She really only eats about 4-5, which worries me. :( I dust the crickets every other time, so pretty much every morning/noon when I first feed her.
I mist her every couple of hours. Well, mist as in misting right in front of her so she can lick up the water. I also dot her nose with a few drops until she licks that up, too. I have been worrying about dehydrating her so I give her water quite a lot.
I am also taking Squeak to the vet tomorrow, I think he/she will be able to help me further, also.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Best place and cheapest would be probably be http://www.petmountain.com

You can get the bulb for about 20 bucks
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html

The hood fixture is about 25 dollars.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-light-fixtures/518113/20-inch-1-x-18-bulb-not-included-.html

I would also soak her in warm water instead of misting her in the viv. She will take in water through her vent and it will keep the humidity down in her viv.

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Ok I have a little bit of input for you too, they should never be fed that close the bedtime, they need at least two hours under a hot lamp to digest their food or it will just go through. Second any crickets that she doesn't eat need to be taken out or they will cause her a lot of harm. With your set up does she have a baking area that gets to be at least 100 degrees?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is the temp of the basking spot right on the log where your baby is sitting in the pics? Did you put the probe right on that and wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising? What size tank is it and what is the wattage of the basking bulb?

With a baby, you should dust the feeders 5 days a wk but only 1 feeding a day with calcium and then dust the other 2 days with vitamins but only 1 feeding a day.

jortiz9758 is right, you shouldn't spray inside of the tank because you don't want the humidity too high because it can cause an upper respiratory infection. Baths are much more beneficial, a soaking in warm water tested by the inside of your wrist in a low plastic container for about 15 min would help a lot. Put a wash cloth down in the bottom to keep him from sliding around and be sure to watch him very closely. I would also be sure to remove the water dish especially at night as they can drown in a small amt of water.

Moved here from Health forum

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I thought I made sure to mention I only sprayed right in front of her. I don't spray here tank, just to let it accumulate into one little puddle she can drink out of. I use the mister because I can mist my crestie tank and give Squeak a little water. I don't let her tank get too humid. I also give her baths, but only about one a day(this is also when she has the most trouble staying upright..). Is this too much? Or too little?

Her basking spot is about 101-104 during the day, and an average of 85-89 around it, with the cool side being around 75-80 on average.

And thank you Elijah, I will go with your method of feeding. It SOUNDS better, already. Is my calcium supplement alright? Or is there a special kind that BD.org-ers buy?

I am going to try and buy her a reptisun bulb and fixture tomorrow. If it's too expensive at the store, that site should deliver pretty quick, right? I have, uhh, duct tape and super glue. >.< Any idea on how to plant her UV light inside the viv to make it better for her?

Thank you all so much for your help! Anything else that needs to be changed or thought about would be greatly appreciated. I want the best for my Squeak.

I got a fixture at walmart for about $12 for my reptisun. I have it mounted inside the tank with 2 suction cups. The really strong kind that you press down on and they kind of lock in place. They hold it really well. The cord runs up the side of the tank and out under the screen. It was pretty easy to set up. Pet Mountain does ship fast and the whole thing, light shipping and set up cost about $35. It is well worth it. I hope this helps.

jen.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you very much Jen. :) The suction cup thing is a great idea. Thank you for your help :)

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
I had an idea for your UV lamp. Instead of planting it inside the tank, do you think you can cut a hold in the screen just the size of the bulb? That way you get the UVB to your dragon without the screen but your fixture can still rest where it is.

Elijahsmom, putting the uvb light on top of my tank puts it too far away from the basking spot. My tank is 18 inches high so it was impossible to get the light within 6 - 8inches of the basking spot without making the basking spot really high and way too hot. Looking at the pictures of the set up the Grimleo posted I think they would have the same problem. By having it placed inside with the suction cups it is just right. It was a really cheap and easy solution to the problem!

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
That is a great idea Elijah :) but Jen is right because my tank is about 18 inches high and putting it inside the tank seems like it would be perfect. I even have an old screen right now and it would be plenty easy to just cut it up..

I am being very creative lol I have these STICKY plastic light reflectors that I found around my house and I am going to drill little holes in them, and plant the little suction cups that came with my digi thermometer. Then I can just stick the reflectors to the big light and put it in the viv :D

TODAY I ordered a reptisun 10 and I bought an 18" fixture already to put it in. I also got this cool water drip thing that will slowly drip water into the water bowl...Hopefully that will help get some drinking done while I am out :)

Elijahsmom

Hatchling Member
Lol! Thats a great idea with the suction cups, I myself may have to get creative like that. With the water bowel I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you are bathing her like daily to every other day she will be fine. Elijah has NEVER drank from his water bowel. I offer it to him every day and he just snubs it but I given him baths often or pop him in the shower. They will stay plenty hydrated that way.
Glad Squeak is doing well. :)

MissT

BD.org Addict
One other thing I noticed..... the probe from the thermometor is on the floor.... do you place it on the rock to check that temp too??

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Haha do you really take a shower with Elijah? Doesn't falling water bug him?

MissT I move the probe back and forth a couple times a day, I always worry about the temperature >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom