My scalebabies-Now with added Sokar

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I've been meaning to do this forever. I find myself often wanting to post pics in other people's threads, but I don't want to steal them. so hopefully this will get it out of my system. I'm going to start with their hatchling pictures and work my way up. This will probably be pic heavy because I love taking pictures of them and I think they all look great.

I got them from a pet store on March 4, 2010. They were 3 out of about 30-40+ in one tank. All very much different sizes. Some looked freshly hatched, and some looked several months old. I only intended on getting 2. I had dragons before, Dante and Isis. Isis did great for several weeks, then got sick and died within days. She actually died in my hand right across the street from the vet. He spent some time trying to bring her back but was unsuccessful. He told me that when they are hatchlings, they can go downhill very quickly, and sometimes they just die and they don't always know the reason why. Dante died of old age several years ago. I had been wanting to get more since, but money and timing wasn't right. I didn't want to get stuck dragonless again, so I planned on getting 2 just in case.

while I was shopping for some supplies my husband fell in love with Bane. I didn't think Bane was a good choice. She seemed way too small, very dark, injured and lethargic. I didn't think she would make it and I told him so, but if he wanted to chance it, it was his money and heart and I was getting my 2 no matter what. Astarte was my first pick. Sokar was actually Bane's buddy. My husband actually saw the other dragons chase Bane around, and Sokar intervened then they stopped. Bane's leg was injured, and Sokar used to give Bane piggy back rides even in the store. We believe they had the same parents. Their coloration and patterns remained remarkable similar as they aged. It's sometimes hard to tell them apart. Sokar was missing most of the toes on his back legs, and had a red streak right behind his ears. Sokar also had a softer look in his eyes. Bane has a permanent stink eye, which is how she earned being named after a sith lord. My husband was a little disappointed Bane turned out to be a she.

From left to right: Astarte, Bane & Sokar. In the beginning they were housed together because we had unexpected delivery delays with their permanent tank.
IMG_2070.jpg

Astarte her first night here. That substrate did not stay long. It came with a starter kit we bought, and my husband put that in not knowing any better. It got taken out immediately after the first photo shoot. This is not a great picture, but um. Well Astarte actually had quite a bit of red on her when we first bought her and these are some of the few you can actually see it a little in.
IMG_1994-1.jpg
IMG_1995.jpg
with bane
IMG_2068.jpg

More Astarte slightly older
IMG_2077.jpg
IMG_2192-1.jpg

this is what she looked like most the time during the first months. By the time she showed her happy colors then she was completely orange.
IMG_2025.jpg

This was early when we got her. I didn't realize it at the time but WOW they were skinny! I don't think she would have lasted much longer in that pet store.
IMG_2009-1.jpg

Astarte & Sokar
IMG_2055.jpg

One of my favorite pictures of Bane. She looks so sweet and innocent in this picture
IMG_2057-1.jpg

Bane didn't really have much color at all when we first got her. But she had some beautiful green sidebars and a remarkable pattern. I kinda wish she would have stayed the same. Don't get me wrong, i think she's beautiful now, but I would LOVE to see a full grown dragon with those colors and such a crisp clear pattern like that. I think it would look amazing.
IMG_2109.jpg

Bane & Sokar. Here you can see the huge size difference between them. The sad part is Sokar wasn't even the largest dragon in that tank at the pet store.
IMG_2010-1.jpg

here's one that shows the color similarities of Bane & Sokar. I caught Sokar mid flex when he was stretching his beard. Someday i will get a full blown beard pictures of one of my dragons. As soon as they catch me looking they stop and act like they weren't doing anything.
IMG_2147.jpg

The only time any of them used the hide, that lasted all of about 2 seconds.
IMG_2280-1.jpg

Sokar. He quickly became my favorite. From day 1 he was tame as can be, very easy going, loved everyone, tolerated everything. He could be trusted to sit still with small children, and would even sit on my should while I practiced my music. And he LOVED getting his picture taken.

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2183-1.jpg

IMG_2079-1.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

I can haz some crickets?
IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2083.jpg

Sokar and Bane
IMG_2095-1.jpg

Funny sleeping picture. The string was a very popular place to sleep. At least one of them was on it every night until they got too big.
IMG_2103.jpg

Very poor quality, but the best sleeping pose ever! Believe it or not, he did managed to sleep like that all night.
IMG_2122.jpg

I guess that's enough for now. Next time will be older baby pics.

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
I love it, can't wait for next wave of pics. Bane was so tiny :) and Sokar is very beautiful. :mrgreen:

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Time for round 2!

This one I decided to dedicate to Sokar

Sokar LOVED this log. I have quite a few pictures of him on it. On one side it curves downward that was just the perfect size to fit his buddha belly.

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

enjoying his rock, his tank always came out a bit orangey in pictures
IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2185-1.jpg

Bath time. This is when he first started showing a bit of orange in his beard. The white sink really shows off his colors well
IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2189-1.jpg

hanging out on my leg. By this time he started having difficulty climbing due to his missing toes.
IMG_2245-1.jpg

mid-glass dance
IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

more pics ma??
IMG_2082.jpg

okkies enough now
IMG_2084.jpg

this is the last picture of Sokar. Sadly I had been really busy and didn't take very many pictures. He was so huge. He was estimated age of 6 months and already 16-17 inches, and very bulky. I'm not sure of his weight because I didn't own a scale at the time. He ate anywhere from 80-150 crickets a day, and frequently grew 1 inch a week.

I had just started a 2 week long chamber music program and was gone most of the day. It was probably the only time they had ever been alone for any significant amount of time. Two days after this picture was taken, I fed him like normal. He chowed down on his salad that morning, then enthusiastically ate his usual massive amount of crickets. He seemed active and chipper as ever when I left for my camp. My husband came home from work about 3 hours later to find him dead. We were unable to afford a necropsy at the time. Just prior to this we had to replace $100 worth of feeders that died on us. Money was already tight when that happened, so we were pretty strapped for cash. We found a lightning bug flying around the house later that day. It is assumed he either got a hold of one, or he had some kind of congenital defect that was previously undetected.

Sokar.jpg

He was one of the best dragons ever. From the day we got him he was as tame and calm as can be. I could let small children hold him. He loved his salads and would finish it every day. mustard greens, strawberries and raspberries were his favorite. Even as a hatchling he wold happily hang out on your shoulder for hours at a time. He was my last pick, but immediately became my favorite of the 3. The pooper nearly ate me out of house and home, but he had a big heart and you couldn't help but to fall in love with him. He is missed by all that knew him, even a few who claimed to not like reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom