My red girl just wont stop laying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
She has laid every month since October. First 3 clutches were infertile but last month I finally put her with my red male and on Jan. 16th she laid 22 fertile eggs. I took the male out right after I saw them do the deed, and she is packed with eggs again and ready to lay. I understand the whole thing about holding the sperm and all but will she stop at some point. She is just over a year old and luckily big enough to handle all the egg laying, but I don't want her to get wore out.
Is there any way to get her to stop so she takes a break for a while?

Krisymof2

Hatchling Member
Maybe one of the moderators will move this to the breeding section but I'm sure someone can answer this for you. I thought I heard they can lay anywhere from 3-5 clutches from being bred 1 time. But if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes, as I said I know all about that holding of the sperm and laying a few times from one breeding but this will be 5 months in a row she has laid now. The first 3 were without a mate though so they were all bad eggs. I am just wondering when she will stop..... :)

Krisymof2":491c1 said:
Maybe one of the moderators will move this to the breeding section but I'm sure someone can answer this for you. I thought I heard they can lay anywhere from 3-5 clutches from being bred 1 time. But if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

chrisallen

Hatchling Member
I think it was a bad idea to take a young female(12 months is young) after laying 3 infertile clutches, then putting her with a male. What does she weigh? Kind of forcing her to produce more eggs than what she may have with just one breeding. I would make sure she is getting plenty of calcium, and plenty of water. Also, dont put her with the male again until next breeding season.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I am not exactly sure of her birth date. She could be closer to a year and a half actually. Normally I would not breed quite this young but she is about 370g and constantly laying eggs so I figured she is mature enough and big enough to introduce her to a male. As long if she is wanting to lay eggs, mine as well get some good ones out of her. I don't feel I am forcing to do anything. She was laying month after month on her own. And yes the male has since been taken out and I don't plan on breeding her for the rest of the year.

chrisallen":ac0b9 said:
I think it was a bad idea to take a young female(12 months is young) after laying 3 infertile clutches, then putting her with a male. What does she weigh? Kind of forcing her to produce more eggs than what she may have with just one breeding. I would make sure she is getting plenty of calcium, and plenty of water. Also, dont put her with the male again until next breeding season.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
JD,

While I agree with Chris on this one but, I have heard of the constant egg laying happening before from a big breeder. The breeder did like you only it was after the 6th clutch. He introduced a male and got one clutch of fertalized eggs then no more. I don't recall how old the female was.

Good Luck

Ernie

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
If she laid 3 infertile clutches, and now has laid 1 fertile and working on laying another expect 5-7 total clutches! Not all girls can produce this many clutches, so you will just have to wait and see. Females go through egg laying cycles, changes are she might have been finished with her first cycle after the 3rd infertile clutch, and since she was breed not to long after that breeding re-initiated her ovulation cycle again and another 3 clutches can be expected... Typically females are predictable with the number of clutches, but you don't know what she's capable of until she's finished for the year...

Keep feeding her as much as possible and keep her calcium and vitamins levels high!

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom