My New Rescued Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Most of you have probably seen my thread on Baldric’s death.

When I asked the vet what other animals might have similar needs to a beardie when he gave me the necropsy results, he recommended that I go talk to a man at a certain reptile store. So this afternoon I went in and spoke to the man for quite a while, and he found out all about the way I’d kept Baldric and everything I have and did for him. Then he told me that he rescues, rehabilitates, and re-homes bearded dragons and told me to wait for him and he’d be right back.

He came back holding a beardie whose face looks so much like Baldric’s that I lost it and started sniffling and saying, “He looks like Baldric, he looks like Baldric!” He held the beardie out to me and I put the beardie against me, and he snuggled right down. I asked him to hold the beardie for me until I could disinfect the viv, and he said, “Don’t worry, he’s yours.” He sold me some disinfectant and I paid the $25 rehoming fee and ran home to clean and redo the viv and restart the lights.

This one’s a citrus. Baldric was a translucent with a lot of orange. I was hoping for a nice light pastel to match this user name, but when I saw this one's face it was a done deal. This beardie’s nearly two inches shorter than Baldric, but it’s like having a younger, healthier version of Baldric back. As soon as I put him into his viv he started looking at the empty plate and even though it’s less than three hours until lights out, I put a fat superworm rolled in beardie vitamins into the plate and he ate it right up. I hope he has a good appetite because I have too many dubia and superworms. It’s been a while since Baldric had a good appetite.

This particular beardie’s rescue story is that some kids wanted a snake, and the mother wasn’t going to allow that so the parents bought them a beardie. The kids didn’t want a lizard, they wanted a snake, and so they ignored the lizard. They kept him for about three years and finally got the kids their snake, then decided the lizard had to go immediately. Then they surrendered him to the man who works at the pet store because they wanted him gone and when they gave him their information they didn’t put down whether or not he has a name. I asked about his name, and he offered to call them to see if he has one. I said never mind. I asked about his size, and the man told me that there’s no telling what they might have fed him, he could just be stunted and might grow more. What do you think?

He needs a new name along with his new life. I’d like something that sounds medieval, since dragons and medieval knights sort of go together. (Yes, I know dragons and knights had issues, but….) Baldric sounded medieval to me, and I can’t seem to think of any more. Chaucer? Your suggestions are needed.

Here are some pictures of the new one:

Note: Compare this one's picture to Baldric's in my avatar, and you'll see why he had to come home with me!

Pushkin

Juvie Member
He looks SO handsome!!! :love5:

As for names, I do like Chaucer! Here are some more ideas!
Ulric
Rowan
Lief
Gavin
Cedric
Dane
Digory

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you both! He even fights with his reflection like Baldric did when he was healthier. I'm just so thrilled to have him. The vet told me he thought another bearded dragon would be a good choice and sent me to that beardie rescuer. Maybe he sort of planned this? :lol:

I sort of like Rowan.

Cassius, Dragomir, or? His old owners just kept referring to him as The Lizard. We can come up with something better than that.

I hope he's not good at escaping, too!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I looked up medieval names. The name Jayden means "God has heard." "Aldwin" means "old friend."
Those are my favorites. Good luck! Choosing a name is not easy.

sue09

Hatchling Member
I think Jayden would suit him perfectly with its meaning,good luck with your adorable new beardie,Sue

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
sue09":4imiik7h said:
I think Jayden would suit him perfectly with its meaning,good luck with your adorable new beardie,Sue

You are absolutely right!

Thank you, Esther, for finding his new name!

I was up before the alarm went off and Jayden was already awake. He'll have a big breakfast and as soon as the little beardie bathtub has been sanitized, he'll have a bath and maybe we'll have another photo session. The best pictures will get posted. :D

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here are some more pics! We had a photo shoot outside today.

Hi there!

Whose spines are sharper, mine or this pinecone's?

Relaxing after a short bath

And do you think there is something wrong with his mouth? There is a v shaped indent at the very front of his top lip where scales are missing and I tried to take one from the side where it looks like the mouth line is sort of wavy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Christine,

He looks exactly like Baldric, so it was meant to be.
Choosing a name is definitely the hardest part. :D
He is one lucky little boy indeed, that he found you.

Tracie

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you Tracie, but I think it's me who's lucky to have him. :)

Jayden was hiding inside his cork round this afternoon, and I pulled him out to make sure he's OK. Now he's hiding under his beardie hammock. Is this normal? Baldric never hid under anything, and now I'm worried that there might be something going on with this beardie. The top of his cork round is at 95 degrees. He ate a dubia that I gave him this afternoon, and this morning he ate a little of his salad and four superworms.

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
Original Poster
This morning I pretty much ignored Jayden outside of giving him his breakfast. He ate the superworms and barely touched the salad again. He's basking and acting much more normal, so he probably just had a bad case of stress-out yesterday from having too much attention too soon. Whew!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom