My new landlord hates reptiles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
So I have a new landlord because the other one sold the house we live in. My old landlord didn't really care that I had reptiles but new landlord is so scared of them that she wants me to get rid of them so she never has to see them. I am pretty mad because she lives 50 miles away and only comes here one a year to check up on the place. She said when she did the walk through before buying she almost had a heart attack because my bearded dragons are super scary and could eat her. Sure.... So I don't know if I should just hide my beardies when she comes or sell them.

NaviTheBeardie

I'm not the best person to answer this but i'll give my opinion..
Well first of all it's kinda rude of her to make you get rid of them because your other landlord allowed them!
But you could probably get in trouble for hiding them...
So what I would do is send them to a family members house or a friends for when the landlord visits and then when she leaves go pick them up, so then if you do hide them there's no way she could find out!
Good luck! Hope this helped!

Siren

Juvie Member
"super scary and could eat her".....my head hurts from the stupidity.

So if she bought the place...were you still under the lease from your original landlord and did it mention anything about being allowed to have pets? If it did say you could have pets, she is SOL by law I believe. But I would look for a new place when the lease is running out. Because she likely will add a clause of no reptiles.

I would first though give her a call and speak to her about their husbandry and behavior. Offer to send her information and remind her, it is okay for her not to like them, but they are family members to you. They are legal to own and safe.

IMO, the last thing I would do is sell them. I would find a new place. But that is me.

BEARDIESandCOFFEE

Hatchling Member
hahahaaha! oh man, people are so ignorant…. :lol: :lol:
Making you get rid of your beardies…? really??? :angry5: :banghead:
what i would do first if i were you,
1. review your contract! DETAILED! If she only verbally told you to get rid of them, but nothing is in writing, or your contract doesn't say anything about pets (specifically reptiles) she can piss off.
2. If it doesn't say anything, I would (just to be polite…kinda) when she does come to check on the property, hide them, JUST TO AVOID DRAMA. one days worth of hide and recover is soooo worth not having the drama. agreed?
3. Depending on how dedicated you want to be about keeping them, you could get LEGAL about it. I used to live in washington, and might i say, it is a very liberal state. lol. so, it would not be hard at all to push that they are emotional support animals. Look it up. the federal government has no laws in regards to having an emotional support animal or service animal needing to be "certified" in any form. if they calm you down after a stressful day at work, they are an emotional support animal. therefore, renters/landlords HAVE TO HONOR that, and can not make you get rid of them. Thats like telling a blind person he can have his seeing eye dog because the landlord is scared of ferocious killing four legged animals… PUH-LEASE!!!!!

only reason i say this, is because I'm tired of seeing people have to give up there babies in circumstances like this, all because of someone else's lack of knowledge and or ignorance. its BS. FIGHT FOR THEM. if your don't fight for something you'll fall for everything. herd that before right? i really do believe that as a herp owner, if we don't stand up for the rights to be able to own these guys and care for them, over time, it will dwindle and become harder. states are allowing counties to ban ownership of pet reptiles now and its starting to get ridiculous. gotta fight. check it out… http://www.10news.com/news/u-t-protest-stops-reptile-ban-in-chula-vista

just an example.

Hope this helps sway you or give you some insight! God Bless!!! :study: :D :blob8:

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Thanks everyone :) I looked my lease and it does say I can have other pets and it looks like she oked the reptiles. She is just now changing her mind but since the lease is signed for a year contract she cant redo it. So I told her they are staying and to deal with them. She wants me to put a towel over them when she comes. What is funny is that I have snakes too and I told her and I guess she didnt see them on the walk through. I thought she was going to die. lol. She told me the reason she doesnt want the reptiles is because they are causing mold in the attic. I called bs on that.

Siren

Juvie Member
It is a happy medium...cover their cage as she requested when she stops by. She is still a stupid cow, but gotta take the bad with the good.

sue09

Hatchling Member
Why are some people so ignorant of animals and so darned stupid!!! I hope your pets stay happily with you.

Jam

If I was a property owner and I had an intense phobia of spiders and I came to do a walk through on a property and walked into a room that had a tank with tarantulas I would most likely loose my sH*T, but
that is not the renters issue it's mine.
I had a pet rat (hairless dumbo) at my old apartment because the lease stated "no dog or cats", after a year the owner who was always in my apartment for repairs got wind of it from another neighbor trying to be shady towards.
He stood in my apartment and told me that Ratatouie HAD TO GO, I pulled out my lease agreement and
showed him the print and told him that until he changes the lease and specifically list the types of critters not allowed the rat was staying. He was pissed with me but he knew he was wrong for trying to tag a loved and adored member of my family with a stereotype of wild rodents.

I say; DO NOT get rid of your dragon, just give it a playdate at someone elses house on the annual walk thru.

Best wishes

Josie

dom02

brittani299":1f4qzo8l said:
lol. She told me the reason she doesnt want the reptiles is because they are causing mold in the attic. I called bs on that.

wait, hold on. they could cause mold in the attic????????????????????????????????????????? How could someone ever come to that conclusions??????????

I'd be more concerned about this land lords stupidity and what other crazy ideas she may come up with.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I have a dumb question, if there is mold in the attic isn't she responsible for getting the mold under control and killing it before you, your family and your animals get sick? Reptiles do not cause mold in attics, not even if there is high tank humidity. It sounds to me like there may be a mold, even if its in her own mind, problem and to get out of the responsibility she is laying it at your feet by blaming your reptiles. Be careful of that just in case, no telling what she may do if she's trying to change the lease, she may have the attic sprayed for mold and lay the bill at your feet.

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
We're in a "no pets" lease. And our LL only walks through once a year as well. There place we purchased our BD from is a reptile store, and they will house or BD for $10 a day ($50 a week) they supply the viv and food, and we supply the comforts from home.
Im sure it will be a bit stressful for him, but we plan on utilizing their services one time when she comes out to inspect the place, and then we will put his viv in the garage, covered by a blanket. We might even consider putting him in the garage in the viv, covered by a blanket for the one hour she will be here. He might get a little disoriented but he will be none the worse for it.
Could you consider doing something like that? Or even taking your guys to a friend's house for a day in their vivs?
I mean, really, how else would the ll even know they exist in your house any more, if you did something like that?

BTW, I agree, your ll is loony. Ours is too. So we dont even bother to reason with her any more. Out of sight, out of mind. We keep the inside and the outside of our place immaculate, yet still, she raised the rent $17/mo last lease because we watered her lawn during the summer months and it made the water bill a bit higher during those months. But heaven forbid we should let the lawn go yellow. We're about 6 months away from buying our own house and we can't wait!

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Depending on the temperature I would consider putting him and his viv in the garage. Or have his stuff put away and have someone take him for a ride while she is gone. I hope everything works out for y'all.

BlueMorpho

Juvie Member
I know it's an old post, but I saw it was bumped, gotta put my two bits in...
Recently my friend and I have been looking for places to rent or buy. He's hung around my place a lot and has gotten to know my lizzies pretty well. He's not really a reptile fan, but he gets that they're my babies, and has even been watching me take care of them and been willing to share beardie cuddles.
Dragons are no different to me than any other pet, so I certainly wouldn't move into a place that won't allow me to keep my strange, scaley family together, so we only looked at and applied to "pet friendly" places.
A lot of landlords seemed ok with them (oops, did I forget to mention they eat crickets? ;) )
There were, however, quite a few (insert mean word here) people who came up with a myriad of (silly) reasons as to why lizards were a big no-no. Some claimed property damage risk (so I mentioned how much more damage a pretty fishtank can do...) and so on.
The best one (which we got about four times,) was, "what if it escapes and climbs into the heating vents?!" (A couple added the possibility of them breeding in said vents).
My friend must have gotten pretty fed up with peoples' ignorance, because as I started turning away in a mix of rage and exasperation, he retorted, "that's just stupid. One, they're way too big, and two, if they somehow did, they'd die."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom