My New Beardie! Question about his behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sati

Hi Everyone!

So I just got a beardie that is about 16 months old. I wish I could formally introduce him, but I have yet to name him and I want to get to know him to choose the perfect name. He's a very handsome little guy.

I have one slight issue that is perplexing me though. I was holding him great in the store both times I went, and even when I first put him in his tank I picked him up and held him for awhile. He really was such a sweet heart. Now every time I try to pick him up or go near him, he starts turning black, hissing and puffing out his beard.
I have been feeding him and he's been eating, and have been keeping on the correct amount of light and heat. I even put a shirt of mine in there and he's been sleeping on it.

Should I just try and pick him up anyway? I just don't want him to feel threatened and bite. I've been reading that black means they're pissed, and puffing means they're scared. I know I need to hold him for him to get use to me and accept and trust me.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get him in my hands and calm I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much everyone!

-Sati

PS: Sorry if i'm posting in the wrong area. I'm new here and wanted to introduce him and myself and figure out this issue in the same post. :p

Also, if someone can tell me how to post a picture of him I will be sure to do that!

Sati

Original Poster
He's also hiding underneath the wood i have in there every time I come near..

HLSLeO

Hatchling Member
This is normal behavior in a recently moved beardie. Give him time to adjust to his new environment. He's probably going through some stress and discomfort due to the move from the store to your home. Try and give him at least a week or two before you try to handle home too much.

Sati

Original Poster
Thanks Leo. I think you're right.
I was able to hold him for awhile today actually. He got alittle squirmy and tried to jump eventually after sitting on my chest for awhile, but calmed down and just sat on me again, then tried to jump again, and i put him back as to not press him. I got him out by hand feeding him some greens with some pieces of a grape on there as a treat. I know this will take alittle time to build the trust.

He is also kinda black all the time. Could this just be from the stress of moving and being in a pet store and not handled consistently enough?

HLSLeO

Hatchling Member
well, he could be black due to stress from moving, and remember, he is also not 100% used to you just yet...

like for example when I have family over the house, and they go see my 2 year old beardie, if I'm not around, he gets all agitated and starts the head bobbing activity. just the other day, I had a cable guy go into my room, and he puffed out his beard and got EXTREMELY aggressive and hissed at the cable guy and everything... and he is a super chill and relaxed beardie with me. he never throws a fit.

and my girlfriend's new baby that we just got last night, he is all full of stress marks on his beard and belly, and he constantly puffs out his beard whenever we get too close to the cage... I told her the same thing I'm telling you and the same thing I was told when i first got my baby 2 years ago, "you have to be PATIENT..."

try not to handle him unless necessary (like for baths and whatnot) for the first week or so... he should eventually mellow out. and then you can throw him around and carry him on your shoulder and let him climb all over the place.

My Sophie is the same exact way. What I started doing was holding her right before bed when she is to tired to fight you off. It worked last night so I'm going to stick to that and hope it works. :blob5:

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
scoop from the side never the top until he's totally comfy.. try and hold be4 feeding and when he's sleepy, but do not wake since they tend to be a bit grumpy when disturbed (mine does anyway).. keep trying.. just simply sit on the floor and hold him for short periods, even just placing him flat on your lap and lightly touching his back will do @ 1st too... have you been giving him soaks?? how does he respond to that.. also, you'd be a bit miffy if you moved from your home to a place that smelled diff. and sounded weird, give him time and he'll get acclimated on his own watch.. :wink:

AZPumpMan

Mine is going through the same thing for the second time. When she was in her older tank, it literally took about a month of me hand feeding her, then once she warms up you can hold them but for about a week I only held her over her cage (gets to know my face/scent so she isn't as scared anymore) and I end it all (everyday) with a 15 minute bath, 30 minutes of running around the bathroom and then 10 minutes of sun shine. Everyday! Doing that schedule made her turn bright colors I didn't even know she had, and she really enjoys play time now! :mrgreen:

Sati

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone! I have been able to hold him and easily pick him up with no problems at all. (I think he warmed up to me when I gave him a grape :p) He just sits on my chest and looks at me and is so curious with everything around me.

He still has a slight grey overtone, and even darker spots, all over his whole body, but i see yellows and oranges around his eyes. I think I'm going to start giving him baths every day like some of you suggested. Will bringing him in the sunlight help him get some more of those colors? Maybe he's just gonna be a darker dragon though, and thats okay, but I want to do what I can to bring out his true colors.

AZPumpMan

I know that with Hillary she looses her stress marks after about 5 minutes of being in the bath. Once I take her outside she gets really dark and fans out (to soak up the sun rays I think), but after I take her inside she looses them quickly again, but she's never thrown a fit so I'm not worried. Just remember when you take them outside its all new to them, new sounds new smells new sites, there's just a lot of factors. But every beardie is different. Good luck and let us know!

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom