My new beardie Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

zimirken

I just picked Mitch up from the best pet store in the area today. He is 8 months old and the cage said "needs TLC". The clerk clarified that he wasn't held much and was a little squirrely. He was only a touch squirrely when we held him at the store and it was nice to see him fat and active. On our way home we cut a little hole in the cardboard box so we could watch him. When we decided to go in a store we left his box in the car seat and when we came back out we found him sitting on top of his box. He ended up laying on our chest the rest of the way home and acting perfectly nice. When he got home he ate 2 superworms, and a couple bites of greens. He then took a giant poop on his basking rock. So far he has been acting just perfect without showing any relocation stress so far tonight other than chasing his reflection.

zimirken

Original Poster
Today he was much feistier. He would eat some squash, bask for a while, then run around the cage. He love to eat superworms and squash out of my hands and I saw him eating some collard greens when he thought I wasn't looking. I think I'm going to have to hide the crickets and superworms out of his sight, he really wants to get at them.

http://youtu.be/C_nfmVBEwA4

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
How much does Mitch weigh/what is his length?? Hard to gauge from a pic.. hope he has a long, healthy life w/ you..

zimirken

Original Poster
He is 7oz and about 15 inches long. I don't have a gram scale but I have a scale that I can read down to half ounces or so. He really hasn't acted flighty or scared, he just likes to run around, he also enjoys watching beardie youtube videos. I can see myself needing to lizard proof my bedroom in the future. Are there any suggestions about giving him a bath? Like should I do it in the tub or in a plastic container?

He is rather chubby.

AZPumpMan

He's cute! As for baths, I would say bath tub all the way! I just make sure there's a towel under her so she had grip, and I also keep my hand in there so she can hang on (it helps to build trust this way). In fact my beardie only started to loosen up when I started giving her a daily the with 30 minutes to run around the bathroom (if you leave them to run around long enough they usually come right back). Doesn't hurt to try, let us know how it goes!

zimirken

Original Poster
Any guidelines as to how much protein I should give him? I've been giving him about 2-4 superworms and 3-5 crickets for the past few days. He also gets as much salad as he could ever want with some dry food topping,

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
@ 8 months he's still growing.. feed him all the crix he'll eat in ten minutes and a few supers a day, mine is 10.5 months and I feed the crix 1st and then put a couple supers down and add the salad in for him to munch on throughout the day..

zimirken

Original Poster
So last night he was chilling on my laptop and he decided to poop on my keyboard!!!

I quick picked him up and went about cleaning it up but I made a poor decision. Instead of quickly turning off the laptop I started cleaning the keyboard with it still on because I was halfway through running a long cad model computation and didn't want to start over. So after a long story of pain and anguish my keyboard doesn't work anymore. I ordered a new keyboard and if that doesn't work I'm going to be ordering a new motherboard. Luckily they're readily available and not too expensive.
So long story short it was more my fault for frying my keyboard when he pooped on it than his fault.

On the plus side he is up to 9 ounces. However his pooping pattern has been quite variable, but seems to be every other day or so. I've given up trying to train him to poop in the bath for now as he was not pooping in the bath and then he would have a lot of extra water when he pooped which is much more difficult to clean up on slate tile.

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
funny cuz' mine will not poop in the bath, neither would Omni EVER and yes if they're well hydrated the puddle surrounding the poop is alarming 2 times.. I have slate tiles- 2 lg. and miraculously Crixus always seems never to poop in between them.. lucky me.. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom