My new baby beardie i think has a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My bearded dragon who is just i baby i recently bought i think is a little sick he is not opening his eys almost at all when i hold em he has em closed sometimes he opens em up a bit but not for long. Ive been giving many tips and suggestions and so on but i just want to ask from the people who deal with dragons everyday.

If you could reply to this it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Cnochur

Hatchling Member
Is he lethargic or does he have energy? Is he eating?

Someone's gonna ask this eventually, so:

What's the tank setup? Lighting, heating, temperatures, etc. Also, what are you feeding him? Just saying that his eyes are closed doesn't give us much to go on.

thereptilekid

Original Poster
I have 150 watts intense basking spot lamp and a exo terra compact top with uvb compact bulbs. He is only a baby the basking spot is reaching about 38 degrees in celcius. the opposite end of the tank has a temperature of about 10 degrees less so about 28 degrees. At night time i let it fall to room temperature 19 degrees about. he has a log, a hide, a food and water dish, and some fake cactus plants. i feed him as many crickets he can eat in a ten minute period twice a day. And i offer him veggies including Kale, collards, squash, apple, grapes and a treat every now and then a bannana. (**note** he is eating and not puking up his food he eats like crazy could he be stressed?)

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
could be the uvb light.... u said it's a compact... should change to a reptisun 10.0 tube... the coil lights have been known to cause harm to the beardies... I have seen people recommend to discontinue the coil bulb as they do the damage until you get the new light...there are alot of post as to what type of lighting you should have.

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Yup 3 things stand out here for me also. No 1 is the compact coil UVB, they are known to cause eye issues which is why he may be keeping his eyes closed so much, they hurt.
The best UVB are the linear tubes, and Repti sun is most recommended

The 2nd is yiu keep saying the temps are "about" this and that temp.... Temps are really important to dragons and need to be EXACT. What do you measure them with?

3rd, 38 for a baby is not hot enough, they like 42 to 44 deg to thrive, the cool side is fine though. Try to raise the basking site to get it hotter. And please make sure the temp readings are accurate. The only way to ensure this is with either a temp gun or digital thermometers with a probe placed right on top of the basking platform

thereptilekid

Original Poster
Thank you all for your suggestions Tonight i am purchasing a exo terra 36'' dual top includes 2 strips for liner uvb and 2 slots for 2 35w halogen bulbs (obviously not enough heat) but for uvb it should do fine with desert 10.0(s) ill put a digital thermoneter on the basking sight (should i get a humidity gauge as well?)

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Great stuff

As for the humidity gauge....i dont use one, but a lot of people do. If you have money to spare and you want to then yes get one.
But i would say temps and UVB are priority one right now. The rest can come with time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom