My new 90g terr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm new to the board and hopefully will soon be a new Beardie owner. My plans are to use a 90g aquarium as my new Beardie's home. I found these boards while trying to find a product review based on the Zilla combo light fixtures. I found one thread that went back and forth but that the verdict was still out on. I was contemplating using this fixture and the Zilla rep in the post suggested using a gradient pattern of wattage along the 48" strip from right to left to evenly distribute the heat. I was a bit confused though as I read this fixture has a day/night cycle. Am I supposed to leave the nights on at all time and just alternate the day lights? My other question was regarding a basking light...with this fixture would I still need a seperate basking light or would the lighting be enough for that?

I am still in the process of doing my research on this stuff but figured maybe I could get some help on this. What lighting options do I have? The lighting/bulbs confuse me a bit.

Chaucer498

Original Poster
Oh, I forgot to add that I have a brand new dual light fixture that I used on an aquarium. I wondered if I would be able to just use this fixture with ReptiSun 10 bulbs and then add a basking light or something.

Thanks again. I await the suggestions of the experts.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
Using a dual light fixture will work but consider that 2 bulbs are twice the cost of a single bulb. Online the reptisuns are the same price reguardless of length. If the fixture has a clear plastic cover as most aquarium fixtures do remove it since it will have the tendency to filter out some of the uv rays. a separate basking light not only adds to the lighting but is your main source of heat. putting it on a dimmer you can fine tune for your temps without changing wattage of bulbe. This is a great forum for info on everything beardie related. Search and read and you will find just about anything you need to know. Good luck in getting your set-up going. We are all looking forward to pics.

Chaucer498

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. My fixure is already open with no screen but I just wonder if two bulbs would be too much for the beardie. I don't want to overdue it. That's why I thought of maybe just picking up the Zilla fixture since it is tested for reptile use. Would I still need a basking light with that fixture?

Chaucer498

Original Poster
Actually, after reading through some posts and most people only using a UVB and a basking light, it seems to me the Zilla fixture would be overkill with as many lights as it has but I don't really know.

Does anyone use the 48" Zilla fixture with success and how do you go about setting up the bulbs?

I was thinking of maybe using it since my tank is around 2 feet deep.

Chaucer498

Original Poster
I went to the local pet store this weekend. The rep there set me up with 2 Exo Terrra medium dome fixtures, a 150 daylight halogen, a 150 red incandescent heat bulb, and said I could just put a 48" Reptisun 10 or Reptiglo 10 in my fixture (didn't buy it yet). I set all the stuff up on Saturday and started testing temps. The Daylight bulb of 150W raised the temps from top to bottom of the tank to 125degrees. Way too much from what I have read. I called the store and the rep told me that was too high and I should drop the wattage. The other 150W night light got the temps to around 80-82 degrees. From what I understand this is a good night temp.

Today I went back to return the 150W bulb for a 100W bulb. A new rep there told me after hearing my setup that the Reptisun or Reptiglo bulbs will never penetrate to the bottom of the tank and my dragon wont get the UV required. He said that I should go with a bulb that had the UV rays and heat all in one because those bulbs are better and penetrate further distance. He showed me a TRex bulb and a wire dome fixture. He said if I used that I wouldn't need my 48" fixture. I didn't pick that stuff up today because I wanted to do some more research on my options.

What do you all think?

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
You need to not use the infrared d night light, this will hurt your beardies eyes. As long as your temps don't get below 65 degrees at night you do not need a night time heat source.

Also use the reptisun 10.0 not the reptiGLO the reptiGLO has been known to cause problems with the beardies eyes...not a good bulb. What are you using to measure your temps with? You need a temp gauge with a probe on it. You can find these at Walmart for $12. Stick on temp gauges can be up to 20degrees off. You want your temps to be around the 105 range. Your beardie needs to be able to get within 6-8 inches of the reptisun and it's heat source.

Chaucer498

Original Poster
I am using a digital therm with a probe and also a mercury filled thermometer. Both are registering the same thing. I think that I am going to need some kind of heating at night for my beardie which is why he suggested the night light. The tank this morning was bordering 60 degrees without any heat source. What else can I use to keep the terrarium warm?

I have heard that the ReptiGLO bulbs were having issue via this site, which is why I didn't buy it but now I don't know if I should buy a Reptisun until I know for sure my lighting setup will work.

I already have some wood in the center of the tank for the dragon to climb on and I plan on adding more platforms as well so he can climb up to get more heat and UV if he needs but I'm confused now about whether or not the UV and heat should hit the bottom of the tank or just a place in the tank? I know the ReptiGLO say they are rated for up to 20" and a 90gallon tank has a height of 25".

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
Chaucer498":1d3kls2w said:
I am using a digital therm with a probe and also a mercury filled thermometer. Both are registering the same thing. I think that I am going to need some kind of heating at night for my beardie which is why he suggested the night light. What else can I use to keep the terrarium warm?

I have heard that the ReptiGLO bulbs were having issue via this site, which is why I didn't buy it but now I don't know if I should buy a Reptisun until I know for sure my lighting setup will work.

I already have some wood in the center of the tank for the dragon to climb on and I plan on adding more platforms as well so he can climb up to get more heat and UV if he needs but I'm confused now about whether or not the UV and heat should hit the bottom of the tank or just a place in the tank? I know the ReptiGLO say they are rated for up to 20" and a 90gallon tank has a height of 25".

You need to have a hot side and a cool side of the tank. You want your uv and heat source to hit on a spot about 6-8 inches from the UV. It does not need to reach the bottom of the tank. You can use a dimmer or just play around with wattages, a regular household bulb will do just fine rather than spending $$ on the pet shop ones.

If your temps get below 65 degrees at night you can use a ceramic heat emitter. It fits in your dome socket. Make sure your dome fixture has a ceramic socket and can handle the temp. Usually 100 more watts than what your using does great, you can get domes at Lowes that are usually cheaper than the pet stores.

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
Ask around on this site for what you need. The people at petstores have been known to give out HORRIBLE advice. What are the dimensions of your tank? Sometimes if you tank isn't tall enough an MVB (T-Rex, Mega Ray, PowerSun) can heat your tank too much and may require to be put on a stand. You can also look at the pics of everyones enclosures to get an idea of what we mean by basking spots, and warm side/cool side and light placement.

Kudos to you for getting this all figured out BEFORE you get your beardie!

Chaucer498

Original Poster
My tank dimensions are 48 x 18 x 25.

Here is a list of what I have gotten for it:

2x Exo Terra Dome fixtures
1x 150W Zoo Med Infrared heat lamp (this bring the tank temp on the left side to 82 degrees and the right to around 70). Ambient room temp is around 68 degrees.
1x 48" Dual Light Fixture (I had this from a previous setup, it is brand new)

I returned the Exo Terra 150W halogen daylight because from top to bottom it was registering 125 degrees.

I had planned on getting the 100W halogen daylight and then adding a Reptisun 10 to my fixture but then the guys at the store told me it wouldn't work; however, it would work as long as I kept branches/platforms/ledges where the dragon can lay on in both the UV & Heat area.

You're suggesting that the Infrared Heat lamp I have has to go and be exchanged for a Ceramic Heat Emitter of around 250W. If I switch that out and then pick up the 100W halogen daylight and then add a Reptisun 10 with ledges and places where the temps are where they are supposed to be, will my dragons needs be met? I know the tank needs a temperature gradient from side to side so I'm just trying to make sure I get it exactly where it needs to be.

For example, the higher ledges may register 105-110 degrees. The bottom of the tank registers 90 degrees, and the left side is 80 degrees, this would be ideal?

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
Chaucer498":jymv9i0c said:
My tank dimensions are 48 x 18 x 25.

Here is a list of what I have gotten for it:

2x Exo Terra Dome fixtures
1x 150W Zoo Med Infrared heat lamp (this bring the tank temp on the left side to 82 degrees and the right to around 70). Ambient room temp is around 68 degrees.
1x 48" Dual Light Fixture (I had this from a previous setup, it is brand new)

I returned the Exo Terra 150W halogen daylight because from top to bottom it was registering 125 degrees.

I had planned on getting the 100W halogen daylight and then adding a Reptisun 10 to my fixture but then the guys at the store told me it wouldn't work; however, it would work as long as I kept branches/platforms/ledges where the dragon can lay on in both the UV & Heat area.

You're suggesting that the Infrared Heat lamp I have has to go and be exchanged for a Ceramic Heat Emitter of around 250W. If I switch that out and then pick up the 100W halogen daylight and then add a Reptisun 10 with ledges and places where the temps are where they are supposed to be, will my dragons needs be met? I know the tank needs a temperature gradient from side to side so I'm just trying to make sure I get it exactly where it needs to be.

For example, the higher ledges may register 105-110 degrees. The bottom of the tank registers 90 degrees, and the left side is 80 degrees, this would be ideal?

If you are getting a baby then 105-110 would be fine...as it gets older they tend to like it cooler. Also at those temps make sure they keep hydrated with baths and a couple of mistings. You won't need to run the ceramic heat during the day only at night if temps get below 65. Yes NIX the red light all together.

Just curious what are you using for substrate(floor covering)?

Chaucer498

Original Poster
I haven't added one yet because they all seem like bad choices for babies. I don't know if I am getting a baby yet or a young dragon. I guess it depends on which one picks me; therefore, I chose not to add anything yet until I know for sure. If its a baby, probably leave it bare bottom. If I get an adult I think I will ultimately go with play sand. I'm going to try and feed with a vivicator and dried crix first. If the dragon doesn't take the bait and won't eat unless it's live, I'll feed him outside it's habitat or add a platform for feedings.

1sttimebeardiemom

Juvie Member
Chaucer498":3gfupwok said:
I haven't added one yet because they all seem like bad choices for babies. I don't know if I am getting a baby yet or a young dragon. I guess it depends on which one picks me; therefore, I chose not to add anything yet until I know for sure. If its a baby, probably leave it bare bottom. If I get an adult I think I will ultimately go with play sand. I'm going to try and feed with a vivicator and dried crix first. If the dragon doesn't take the bait and won't eat unless it's live, I'll feed him outside it's habitat or add a platform for feedings.

Dried crix really aren't nutritious at all. There really isn't a way to get around live feeders. I found feeding in a tote helps keep the crix out of the way. For the amount they need and the vitamins they need go to the feeding section, people will help you out there with the appropriate food.

Paper towels are great for the bottom because they make for easy clean-up when they poo. Tile is also another good choice.

Chaucer498

Original Poster
Okay, so earlier this week I went back to the shop and picked up a 75W bulb to test the temps in the tank because they were out of 100W until Friday (today). The 75W bulb is not nearly strong enough to get my basking temps to where they need to be so I will be exchanging it for a 100W today when I go in.

I returned the red light and he ordered me a CHE that I have to pick up tonight. I had him order me a dimmer (rheostat) just in case I need to regulate temps. Do you think I should go back to the 150W bulb and adjust it via the dimmer or just get the 100W bulb and hope it gets to the temps I need? I have exchanged these bulbs so many times already.

I order a Reptisun 10 from Petmountain, it should arrive on Monday. I also picked up some more temperature gauges (digitals, analogs and even the crappy strips) and a medium sized cave.

I need to find some cool ways to make platforms. I like the PetTech Magnaturals for ledges so I will be getting some of those. I just need more platforms because all I have in there is a good sized driftwood in the center. I need a good flat basking platform.

I plan on getting a good sized adult dragon since the tank is so big so I got playsand for my substrate.

I know Exo T has desert plants I plan on acquiring some but does anyone else have any desert themed decor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom