My male bearded dragon laid eggs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kort

So I got home yesterday and my male bearded dragon, whom I've had for 3 years, had 16 sacs in his cage, and one more this morning. My husband popped one to see what it was and yellow yoke-like substance came out of it. I purchased this beardy when he was 12 inches long from a very good breeder out in California, so I'm sure he is in fact a male. After these sacs were in the cage, he seemed kinda sluggish and pretty shaky. I asked a few friends who have owned bearded dragons if they have heard of this and so far no one has been able to tell me anything and I haven't found any information on the web yet. Please help me!!!

I'd say get a second opinion on his sex... either way maybe get him to a vet cuz I'm guessing he's either male or something is very wrong with him...

AndyT

Juvie Member
Yeah it sounds like you have a female that laid infertile eggs. Breeders can sometimes be wrong, especially if the dragon was sexed at a young age. Though if it is male, I have no idea whats going on.

kort

Original Poster
Is it normal for a female to not lay eggs until it's 3?? I've never really checked out a female, thinking I had a male this whole time.

Gail

BD.org Addict
They can start laying at any age once they are mature. Some never lay, some lay every year, some lay only once in awhile.
You are lucky she laid them like she did, some females are so picky about where they lay that they retain the eggs.
Learn what laying behavior looks like so next time you can offer a lay box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom