My Journey through the Reptile world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyday I will be giving you guys an update on my Baby Beardie Onyx. But before I get into Onyx I want to tell you my journey into the Reptile World.

I have been in my apratment for three years now living with my fiancee' and my stepson. It was just last year when I decided i wanted a pet because I was bored at home when no one was there. couldnt get a dog and I hate cats so I called the pet store to see what kind of animals they had. The First thing the guy said was a Bearded Dragon. I didn't hear nothing else after that cause the name stuck in my head. i then goggled Bearded Dragons and i fell in love. By the time i got the money to get a beardie it was gone. In November 2008 I came across a House Gecko in Petco. This gecko lost her leg in a store accident and she only had three legs. So they let me adopt her with no extra charge. I named her Karma. 3 weeks later I thought Karma deserved to have a male companion. I went to a totally different Pet Shop and bought another House Gecko (Sabian). He died over night. The next day i got another one (Toa) he lasted a week and then Karma died the next day. i found out the 1st Gecko (Sabian) and the other one (Toa) which came from the same tank in the same pet store were ill and they passed it on to Karma. It took me a couple of months to get over the death of Karma cause I was really attached to her.

On March 6, 2009 I got a Chinese Water Dragon. I named him Spike. He died over night because the pet shop didnt give me the proper care sheet and I feed him something he wasnt suppose to eat. That morning he died I got my refund and looked over to my right and I saw a Bearded Dragon Tank with 3 beardies on top of each other. With my refund money i bought Onyx. I asked a whole lot of questions like a curious 5 year old. Bought crickets and a book on Bearded Dragons. Gave him his name and a new habitat. i am still learning about Onyx but he seems pretty cool. He sleeps alot like most babies but he is fun to look at. I stroke his back everyday to get use to me. not ready to pick him up yet cause i know he is just a baby. Here are some pics of Onyx Keith Warren

020-1.jpg

he was Drinking Water out of his bowl
013.jpg

feels good
011-3.jpg

his tank
009-1.jpg

Exploring
003-2.jpg

Hmmm
020.jpg

LJean

Extreme Poster
He is too cute. Babies are hard to pass up.

Just keep asking questions and doing your research and you will do fine by the little guy. :)

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How old does he look to you im not sure of age?

is it safe to pick him up?

will he bite or puff up at me at that age?

LJean

Extreme Poster
He looks to be around 2 months old to me. It is ok to pick him up. He may beard or bite from fear, but it doesn't hurt when they are that little. The only problem is they are very squirmy and hard to hold onto. ;) You could try sitting in the bath tub (no water) with him. That way he can run up and down your legs to help get used to you.

PS. If you can find phoenix worms, they are a great staple to feed baby dragons. They are soft bodies and have a good amount of calcium. They also don't jump like crickets and can be put in the food dish with the salad.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Oh hes a cutie! Hes a little one looks about 5 to 6 weeks in those pictures. I only picked mine up at that age for their baths and to clean out their vivs. Just make sure hes getting warm enought he needs to be a 105 to 110f at that age.

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, he is tiny. My best recommendation for a healthy baby is to spend countless hours on here reading posts about everything you could possibly have a question about. Feeding, lighting, behavior, etc. The search tool is great for this. You can always post any question no matter how difficult or simple you think it is. We were all once new owners who had lots of learning to do. The most important thing to remember is that pet stores are a business and typically won't give you proper advice and will sell you bad products. So don't bother asking them you will get much better answers here.

onyxbeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yea I was kind of nervous picking him up at first but it seems like he is use to me now cause he fell right asleep in my hand. I cant believe i caught him standing up sleepin though that was funny

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Young dragons love to sleep in the most awkward positions. It's so funny. He is such a itty-bitty guy! Awwwww... :love10:

This is an awesome forum, so stick with it! Have a great time with your new friend! Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom