My High-School Grad Gift!!!! =:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there I'am a new user and i barely discovered this awesomeness site perfect 4 my new king of the house Khyber!!! I bought this lil squirt from a pet store with the great help of my dad!! I asked the pet store clerk lots of Q's and it looks like i'am ready... so last night I ojly had his heat pad on and his UV & basking off I was worried he'll never make it the night but oh so he did yay so proud!! *sob* I kept praying and praying because he's my 1ST Beardie ZOMG!!! I hope he lasts to me forever... well long enough to cherish him so yes I'am a newbie so any advice plz??? :study: Still researching the web though.. THANX A LOTZ!!!

-yuka & KHYBER 4 EVER!!!

58379.png

tyryce

Hatchling Member
Hello,

Seen you put up a post as a new owner. Just wanted to let you know that this is a great site to get good information on how to care for your bearded dragon. I do not have that much advice to give since I am fairly new on the site but have learned a lot since I joined this past December. To know where you are at with husbandry and diet and such there usually is a set of questions that are asked so that people can better give you advice. Is there any thing in particular that you have questions about (temps, lighting, diet, resources?)

How old is you beardie? Weight? and Length?
Maybe give me some info on your set up and I will see if I can help you out.
Do you have UVB lighting (Reptisun 10.0 Flourescent Tube lighting is highly recommended here)
Does you enclosure have a proper temperature gradient (For young beardies temps should be 105-110 on the hot side and 75-80 on the cool side)
How do you measure temps (recommend the digital probe thermometers, the strip ones are inaccurate)
Young beardies should only be given food the width of the space between their eyes
For a great list of foods to feed your beardie go to http://www.beautifuldragons.com
What do you use for substrate? good substrates to use are reptile carpet, tile or shelf liner. Substrates like walnut shell or sand can cause impaction in beardies when accidently swallowed.
It is good to bath your beardie and helps keep them hydrated but never leave them unsupervised because they can easliy drown. Put them in water only up to the armpits
To help get your beardie to take in fluids you can try misting them with water...young beardies may take the water droplets off of their nose. It is important to keep your beardie hydrated.

I hope some of this information has helped and I hope someone else wil post to supplement the information that I provided

Danielle

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Great job Danielle!! Please try to answer the questions danielle asked,as they will help us to help you better. I have thought of a few more things,so please bear with me. First of all Wlecome to the site!!!!! Now as for your set up,etc...
Please get rid of the heat pad,beardies only sense heat from above and can become badly burned by heat pads or heat rocks( I know this may not agree with what you have been told by pet stores,etc... but sometimes pet stores do not follow proper care guidelines and only want to make a sale. You need a heat bulb,a regular house hold bulb or 2 should do the trick depending on your tank size. Baby beardies like it hotter so 110-115* for babies,100-105 for adults.You also need a UVB light,Danielle was correct in recommending a reptiSUN 10.0,please stay away from reptiGlo 10.0 bulbs,as they have been known to cause eye problems, growth problems etc....Your UVB bulb also needs to be a flourecent bulb,no coils or compact lights,they are not good for your beardie.
What are you feeding your dragon,how often and do you use calcium and vitamin supplements? Do you bathe your dragon? Be careful using water bowls in the viv,it can raise humidity levels,causing a respiratory infection. I'm sure other people will be able to help more,these are just things that came to mind.One more thing and I believe Danielle mentioned this,be careful with your substrate,sand,wood chips,walnut shells, any loose substrate has the possibility of causing impaction and harbors bacteria.

Grommet

Hatchling Member
Hi Yuka and Khyber!!!! :D :D Welcome to BD.org and congrats on your baby!!!!! Don't forget to post pics.... we love pics here and you'll love looking back to see how fast they grow :p Have fun!!!

Kailin :blob8: :blob8:

dragonkhyber

Original Poster
Wow thanks so much my 3 users! I didn't expect that much replies all of a sudden hehe :p Well uh I'am not exactly sure how old is he but i think he is between 8-9 months old... yes I will post piccies soon!! THANK-YOU so much for alerting the baths You see I live in Texas and the climate right now is pretty tricky for my beardie so all day even when I'am at school he has a 75 watts special reptile bulb and heat-pad... I already checked the beautifuldragons site is very useful just in case of need One more thing... about the substrate I use pieces of shaved wood yellow and yesterday when I brought crickets i noticed he accidently ate little pieces of the subtrate OMG!!!! I'AM SO WORRIED I HOPE NOTHING BAD HAPPENS :cry:

58379.png

YUKA & KHYBER 4 EVER!!!

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Hello and welcome..... Get rid of those wood shavings immediately!!!!!!!!!! They could get logged in his throat or in his body!!! Put him on paper towels or plain cage.... Just keep an eye on him for a few days... Good luck.......

Lance

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
make sure his basking spot is 100-110 degrees. He will also need a UVB tube light. The best one out there is ReptiSun 10.0 UVB. You can find it at petmountain.com. You can buy a fixture for the tube bulb CHEAP at Lowe's in the florescent lighting section. DO NOT use coil UVB bulbs as they do more harm than good. Also, under tank pands are not good because they burn their bellies (they do not sense heat well on their bellies). Make sure he can get 6 to 8 inches from the UVB bulb when you get it. Just letting you know this cause it seems to be the basics that you need to know, and I had to be told that when I first bought my baby. have you bought any vitmins and calcium for him yet?

tyryce

Hatchling Member
Hello,

How did you make out getting Khyber all set up? Try not to panic over the substrate just make sure you get rid of it though. Just a suggestion...I recently put in reptile carpet in my tank and it is easy to clean and is also washable. I used to use shelf liner. You can also use tile which looks nice but until you are able to get something different just line the bottom with papertowel. If you think he swallowed some substrate just keep an eye on him and make sure he is pooping. If you are worried about him having an impaction in the gut from the substrate or is having trouble passing poo you can put him in a warm (not hot) bath up to his armpits (always supervise him) and gently massage the right side from armpit to vet which should help him out. If you are having trouble with him please get back to us.

Were you able to get the proper UVB lighting..were you able to get a Reptisun 10.0 tube flourescent bulb?
Remember no coil or compact bulbs as they have been known to cause eye problems. The UVB is really important because it helps him absorb calcium.

How are you making out with the tank temps? What size is your tank? The UVB tube light will not give off heat so you can use regular household bulbs to get the temps up but may have to play around with different wattages or may need more than 1 to get the temps correct. (I am from Canada so I need more than one bulb to keep temps up since the ambient temp in the house is much cooler than it is down in Texas!)

Were you able to get a digital probe thermometer? I here on the site you can pick up a good one at Walmart. (I got mine from Canadian Tire but you won't have this store there). When taking temps with a digital thermometer the probe must be on the basking spot for that area and let it sit for about 40min to allow it to get the temp. I actually use two digital thermometers, one I always keep to measure the basking spot and one I have set up to monitor the ambient temp on the cool side (75-80).

Do you have calcium with D3 (no phosphorous) powder supplement? Do you have the multi vitamin? Good supplements to use are the Rep-Cal calcium with D3 but no phosphorous. A good multivitamin to use is herptivite multivitamin. Another member will have to give you details on how much supplements and how often since my dragon is only 6 months old and I actually have to give him liquid calcium supplement (he gets it 3X a week and the multivitamin 1X a week). The supplements are put on feeders and greens..can be coated like shak n' bake in a bag before feeding.

What do you feed you beardie for feeders and greens? I am glad you found the beautiful dragons site for the list of foods...it was really helpful for me. You want to watch out for greens that are high oxylates and groitegens. High oxylates for greens inlcude parsley, bok choy (groitegen), kale and spinach. You want to feed these only on occasion. Try and stick to the foods shown for staples.

Your beardie likely will not drink water from a dish (mine doesn't) they do get some moisture from their foods (keep your greens misted so they get some water that way), you can also try misting him (outside of the tank to prevent humidity from rising)to see if he will lick droplets from his nose. I sometimes use a water filled syringe to get mine to take water. Giving him regular bathes will also help to prevent dehydration.

Let us know how you are making out....Sorry if I seem pushy with my questions it is only that I want you to start out on the right foot. Unfortunately I didn't and I will have a "special needs" beardie now for the duration of his life (he is my first and only beardie). If only I knew then what I know now! There have been a lot of vet bills, stress and heartache but I got lots of help from this website! Anyway..I do not want to scare you just want to make sure you get all set up correctly so that you have a healthy happy beardie :blob8:

Danielle

dragonkhyber

Original Poster
Oh wow it's okies THANX SUPER SO MUCH!!!! for telling me that yes I removed already teh subtrate and laced p-towels. Oh and he's pooping green wonder why too much lettuce maybe.. Today is feeding cricket time so I guess I place him 2. Yeah basking spot checked! Yes I need calcium and repti bark for him in the cart. Will it be ok to bathe him during this annoying spring time? I'am scared he might catch a cold :| I may need also the water feeder I saw in Jolly Jim's Pet's where I got him. He's a pretty small dragon and his tank is about 10" x 10'' I think or 20.. again thankyou su much for the help.. sorry for the novice questions of mine 2 though... :oops:

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Naaaaaaaaaaa he will be just fine!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody bathes there dragons! I live in PA and bathe them every 3 days winter spring fall and summer...They usually get their water from there or when I spray their veggies.. They also get water from their crickets..If it is really hot in the summer I may finely mist them... Good luck and any more questions just ask thats why we are all here to learn from one another!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lance

tyryce

Hatchling Member
Hello again,
I just had a few questions from your post. I don't think the greenish poop is anything to worry about. When my beardie eats a lot of his greens his poop has some green colour in it. You mentioned lettuce? You don't want to feed him lettuce because it doesn't have as much nutrition value as the greens. By greens I mean mustard, dandelion, collard greens ...I also use endive and escarole when I can get it.

You had figured your dragon was about 7-9 months old? How long is he? You had mentioned that he is in a 20 gallon tank? He may need to be put in a larger tank if he is near full grown. My guy is small for his age (He is just 6 months old and only 135 grams)because of his deformities but I have him in a 40 gallon tank which is 36X18X16 high.

It is good he pooped so you maybe don't have to worry about him swallowing the shavings. Post pictures of him if you can..we would love to see pics when you get everything set up. :blob8:

dragonkhyber

Original Poster
Ooooo yes alrighty then I will snap-shot piccies soon only because my pre-pay phone doesn't have a card so I'll get it all paid as fast as i can to fill the site w/ more beardie cuteness!!! As for Khyber he still needs his accessories like a background habitat, hide-box, calcium D3 & some climbing logs so he would not get bored. Wow thanks a whole lot! Khyber gives everyone lil pounce-hugs! Only some little details more... yesterday at night after I turned off the light and all I noticed he was kind of making his throat like if he was burping... hope its not something serious... :silent: Oh and are peas allright with feeding?? So yes I'am stopping w/ the lettuce now.

tyryce

Hatchling Member
Hello,

Just getting back to you with your questions. Since you stopped feeding him lettuce are you able to get some of the greens that are listed as good staples from the beautiful dragons website? As for peas they are quite low in the calcium to phosphorous ratio. I would only feed these sparingly and try to stick with foods listed with a higher calcium to phosphorous ratio as staples. Can you get squash at the grocery store? Squash is a good staple like butternut, acorn and spaghetti squash. You can cut it up and grate it up into small pieces for him.

As for the throat bulging I not sure...I would think it is normal...mine does that as he is eating sometimes like he is just trying to get his food swallowed or something. Maybe a more experienced member on the forum has some ideas.

If you have anymore questions just let us know.

dragonkhyber

Original Poster
I checked the site's food list and made a printing page for it. The throat bulging he does it when he's going to go to sleep so squash it is! Fruits also contain the same to proteins as greens right?? Yeah thanks for the calcium I'll make a bargain for it! :book: :laughing6:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom