my first bearded dragon, and I have a lot of concerns :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m gonna give a preface to my bearded dragon. His name is Apollo and he is a rescue. I got him in October and he has two paralyzed back legs and some chipped/missing skin on his mouth. Neither have ever really caused him much grief or prevented him from doing anything, but I just thought it may be worth mentioning. He lived with my boyfriend in a tiny cage from october to early March, and he seemed pretty happy and healthy but his cage was just too small so we moved him to my house and he now resides in a 40 gallon tank with a heat lamp, a UVB lamp, some rocks to bask on, a water bowl, a bowl for his fruits/veggies and a nice big cave for him to go in (I also use carpet for flooring). So here’s where my concerns take place—and I have a few.

1.) First of all, I have no idea how old he is. He is about 14 inches long, so it’s clear he is an adult, but that’s all I know that may relate to his age.

2.) Second, ever since we got him, he’s had a weird eye problem. His left eye is super watery to the point where it drips down his face sometimes, and although he doesn’t seem too bothered by it, it worries me. He blinks a lot in just that eye and sometimes he will even keep it squinted for a while, and on top of all that it looks a little bit droopy. I’ve been told to give him more UVB or to take him outside often, but neither seem to do much. He used to get white crust in his eye and ever since we moved him to my house and gave him more UVB it has helped, but the droopiness, blinking and leakiness still remain. I’m thinking saline eye solution might help, but I don’t know.

3.) Thirdly, he recently (as in since yesterday) has been keeping his mouth open a lot. I don’t know EVERYTHING about bearded dragons, but I do know that they keep their mouths open to bask—however, his mouth is usually open pretty wide when he does it. Recently his mouth is open just a little, and maybe I’m just paranoid, but I looked up respiratory diseases and he does show a couple signs that lead me to believe he may have one, but I’m not sure how he may have gotten it, if he even has one, or—if he does have one—what I can to do treat it. (He also swallows a lot and breathe a little heavy, but he’s always done that)

4.) Lastly, he is not eating. When we first got him he had an eating issue, but it was more so that he was eating too little than not eating at all. When we got him he was quite skinny, and still is (but not as skinny as before), but when we fed him he would eat right away but he would only eat about 5 worms give or take and that’s it. We assumed it was because of whatever accident he got in before he was rescued (hence the paralyzed legs and messed up mouth) and that he may have been stressed/traumatized, or that he was nervous since he had moved to an entirely new area once we brought him home, but eventually he ate more and more. He also had always had a poop issue where it appeared a very dark brown, sometimes even almost black and very mushy/watery, although his pee pellet thing (or whatever it’s called) always remained pretty white and never yellow. Eventually we got him to eat veggies and he LOVED to eat peppers and he would be eating about 10 worms a day with a couple slices of green pepper. I have never really seen him drink water though, but I just assume he does it on his own without me seeing, but recently I’ve been trying to drip water in his mouth just in case. When we moved him to my house in his new cage, he was still eating but he refused to eat the greens I gave him. I hate force-feeding, but I did it once or twice and he would get very frustrated with me and even smack my hand. I don’t know why but he just would not eat his freakin peppers anymore. Eventually he started eating only worms and his poop, for the first time since October, came out solid and healthy and he was even pooping daily (which was pretty rare for him). At one point, he stopped eating completely. I tried everything, and the only thing that worked was force feeding but I felt too guilty to do it and most of the time it wouldn’t make it into his mouth because I’d get too upset and would stop myself, or if I did succeed in it, he’d only eat about two small chunks of pepper. I had him on a steady routine for feeding, but all of a sudden he wasn’t anymore. He eventually started sleeping all day and hiding in the dark, so I assumed he was going through brumation although it isn’t really winter anymore. This happened for about 2 days I think last week or so, and then all of a sudden one morning before school he ate an entire 7 worms and even ate some blueberries later in the day. Then, the next day, he ate maybe 2 worms and that was it. Then, the next day, he ate like 6 blueberries, and he would shift between eating nothing or eating a little bit up until maybe yesterday or 2 days ago. He just stopped eating. He has a lot of energy and spends most of his day basking looking all lively, but he barely eats. Throughout all of this, his poop and pee has remained normal and healthy, but he just won’t eat. I think yesterday he ate a few blueberries and this morning he ate 2, but that’s all he will eat. He doesn’t want his worms anymore, doesn’t want his peppers, and only wants a few blueberries and that’s it. I can’t bear to force feed him, but I think that’s all I can do. In my opinion, he doesn’t really seem sick, and actually seems pretty lively and active, but for the life of me I can’t get him to eat his food, or at least not enough food. When he first refused to eat I assumed it was because of his moving from my boyfriends home to mine—but weeks later and he has started ignoring/refusing food again.

I apologize for the length of this post, but my Apollo is truly my everything, and I love him very dearly. I admit I get pretty paranoid and can be a helicopter parent to my lizard, but that’s because he’s my first pet, my first bearded dragon, and he is extremely special to me. I worry about him constantly, but recently I keep finding new things that worry me with him and I feel as if I’m not doing what I should be to help him. I find myself constantly looking up things that pertain to him and my worry for him interferes with a lot of my daily life. My boyfriends baby dragon died today, which also has been making me pretty paranoid, and I just want to do all I can for my Apollo to keep him happy and healthy and give him a better life than hes experienced in his past. I’m not always this crazy over him, but recently I’ve noticed some off things. Please help me, I’ll take all the advice I can get—thank you! :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that is quite a lot of info but you were very thorough and I know you want to help your boy Apollo. :) So do his legs work at all ? And what exact type + brand of uvb do you have. Many on the market [ especially coil + compact ] do not produce adequate uvb for beardies. So please list the exact brand you have and also how old it is. Post some pics of Apollo [ full body and then close ups of his eye ] as well as his entire set up. Strange eating + sleepy behavior can come + go with all beardies so that may not be too much to worry about. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

Pkimberlee13

Original Poster
Apollo’s back legs are his only legs he struggles with and they only work from his hip to his knee—so basically only his calves work. He gets around fine, but he walks with his knees due to his shins and feet being immobile. I recently put in a new UVB bulb in his enclosure, and that was the ReptiSun UVB 10.0 bulb and ever since that bulb was placed I noticed he was a bit more lively and even his left leg had seemed to start working from his knee to his ankle (I just noticed that today). Unfortunately, about 30 minutes ago I accidentally broke that bulb, so for the moment I have him under the Zilla fluorescent UVB/UVA bulb. Im not sure if the Zilla bulb will be better, so I’m considering repurchasing the ReptiSun bulb as for the short amount of time I had it it seemed to be benefiting him. The basking bulb we have had him under since October is the 100w Repti Basking Spot Lamp. So the basking lamp was purchased in October, and both uvb lamps were purchased amount a month ago (keep in mind I primarily use the ReptiSun, but I’m temporarily using the Zilla). I have posted pictures of his enclosure but I want to mention a few things about it—it is a 40 gallon fish tank, not a reptile tank. Also if the glass seems dirty I promise it’s not, the fogginess on the top just doesn’t come off. I don’t have the money for a proper reptile tank, but in my opinion I think the size of this one does him fine. I also currently have his food bowl taken out just to clean it, but it usually sits right by the water bowl. I also currently have him on towels because his carpet is very dirty. I wanted to mention as well that one of the pictures is of his mouth because I fear he may have “mouth rot”, and the other one is just to show the damage on his snout/mouth that he has had ever since he was adopted. I posted a few pictures that I hope will be fine, but if not let me know what else I can provide. I’m not sure how to comment them, but I did post them. Thank you for taking time to help me, I feel like an annoyance but this is really important to me! :)

Pkimberlee13

Original Poster
I didn’t take a formal photo of Apollo’s eye, but in the photo of his “mouth rot” that is the eye he has issues with.

Pkimberlee13

Original Poster
97973-5498467651.jpg
97973-5551183280.jpg
97973-3059809008.jpg
97973-1189563312.jpg
97973-168956025.jpg
97973-4789576489.jpg
97973-5551183280.jpg
97973-6552557242.jpg
97973-2919646264.jpg
97973-33781338.jpg

I’m so sorry!! New to this whole thing, trying to figure out how to post photos. This should be everything from the open mouth to the mouth rot as well as the bulbs and cage setup.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor little guy. Hopefully you can help him have a decent quality of life now that he's in your care. For the sore spots you can use raw,unpasteurized honey. It's a natural antimicrobial and promotes tissue healing. It can also be used directly in the eye , so to do that just mix it with 3 parts water to 1 part honey + apply it 2-3 X a day. No loose bugs can be in the tank while he has any wounds right now.

The heat bulb is fine but you need to measure the temps. + be sure his basking spot gets to about 105. The coil/compact uvb are not really sufficient, you'll need long tube uvb , the Reptisun 10.0 t5 is one of the best. You can also opt for a mercury vapor bulb [ MVB ] that puts out heat as well as uvb. A Powersun 160 or a Megaray would both work.

And BTW, could you post a full body picture ?

Pkimberlee13

Original Poster
97973-8535537109.jpg
97973-4615620952.jpg
97973-1353780218.jpg
97973-4393966519.jpg

He’s all bundled up sleeping right now so I can’t take a picture at the moment, but these are some previously taken photos that show more of his body.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those are perfect to show his size. He's not too thin really, just a bit lean. Ans please be careful, a baby dragon can look like a tasty meal to an adult. It happens very quickly and is not uncommon .

Pkimberlee13

Original Poster
Thank you! It took a lot to get him to gain weight, he looks way better than when we first got him. Also, thank you for the advice. As for the photo with the baby, that was just for cuteness—any time other than that one photo we could NEVER have them near eachother lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom