My First baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaffaCake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How can I make Duncan more comfy? Everytime I even open the tank he runs, if I go to pick him up for his daily bath or just to pick him up he runs into his wooden house and goes in the corner in a defensive position :( I thought he would have warmed up to me by now since Jaffa has been calm ever since I've had him but every beardie is different. Is there any way to make him a little less frightened? I try not to put my hand in there too fast but he still opens his mouth and runs away :( here's some pics of them both :)

http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/JaffaCakez/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4025dad6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
This is Duncan whenever I put my hand in the tank or slide it open :/ is that normal?
http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/JaffaCakez/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfd18f18c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
Duncan and Jaffa on the tree :) so cute haha
http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/JaffaCakez/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsa068c5ac.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
I don't even know what Jaffa is doing xD he's hanging on the side like sup? Weren't doing nothing xD
http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/JaffaCakez/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb219f003.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Here is them 2 sleeping like this...should I be worried xD it looks like they are kissing in their sleep haha sorry the picture is blurry I had to zoom it so I wouldn't wake them by sliding the glass :/

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
If you have an old tshirt that you've worm but haven't washed, put some in the hide or where he sleeps so he'll get used to your scent. I found wrapping my babies up and sleeping with them on my chest helped, too. Yes, they're all different. Have you separated them yet? I know they're getting along but they should be on their own soon.

JaffaCake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'll try the shirt thing I'll have to put it in his house because he sleeps on the tree so I dunno how to out the shirt there lol and I am trying to seperate them I have the tank already but still need some supplies I've ordered some lights and stuff for him but they haven't come yet should be here by Saturday. My brother had an extra tank so I don't need to buy another I just have to wash it out then put him and his stuff in there.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
For the t-shirt, you can put it in his hide, or just on the floor along that side of the tank. Some dragons take awhile to get comfortable with their human. And I'm glad he'll have his own space. He's still a baby, too. When you have time at night, when he's sleepy, gently wrap him in a fluffy facecloth or towel and put him on your chest, so then he'll sleep on you, that's how I always got my babies to trust me. Good luck!

JaffaCake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ill try that tonight thanks for the advice :D and the t-shirt thing lol i just fed jaffa and about to feed duncan but i found this weird little black bug in the tub of locusts :/ i have no idea what it is

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Take a picture and post it so we can see it. I'll post it to a couple of friends who live in the UK. We don't have locusts in Canada or the US, so not sure.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Have no idea what type of beetle that could be, glad you got rid of it. So in future, guess you'll need to clean out the locust bin more often, maybe?

Is there anywhere you can get him some crickets or any local locust seller? He needs his protein, so see what you can get him locally until you get another batch.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So I talked to a friend of mine, Hayley in Wales, she sent this link as she said she couldn't make out the beetle, it was too dark. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uksafari.com%2Fbeetles.htm&h=aAQGQB7CY

So that's a list of beetles. She also said she didn't think the beetle would make any difference to the locusts, but to clean out the bin well. So when you get more, just clean it more thoroughly, more often, just in case a beetle makes it's way in. Did you get any other protein for Duncan? If you can't, get some chicken baby food and feed him that until you get your next batch of locusts. It's good for him, protein he can absorb.

JaffaCake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just looked at the beetle pictures and it didn't look like the ones on there it had reddish orange legs and just a black body and was quite small so I have no idea what it is still :/ yeah from now on I'll just empty the tub into a feeding container as soon as I get the tub then chuck the tub out :) yeah I have some chicken and squash baby food that I'll give Duncan do I need to water it down first? I should get a new batch of locusts either tomorrow or the next day at the latest but hopefully tomorrow I don't want my little guys going without their food.
Thanks for the link and I'll make sure to keep an eye out for any more bugs in the locusts tub I thought it could have been a parasite or something disease spreading. I'll keep an eye on Jaffa just incase the bug passed anything on to the locusts he ate :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hayley said the worst a beetle would do was lay eggs, not sure if they opporunistic like wasps, but doubt there'd be a problem with beardes.

And no, you don't have to water the baby food down, just mix the squash with the chicken and it makes a nice mash. Feed it to them by spoon or put it in a dish, I feed it by syringe.

JaffaCake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
oh good i was worried it would harm jaffa :/ guess i shouldnt have thrown out the tub dammit :( i have got them Juvenile soft pellets that give them the nutrition of live food i gave them that and some baby food when they wake up until i get some live food for them :)
The baby food is both chicken and squash together so i dont have to mix them tho there is a mango baby food aswell

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Either would be fine. Let me know if they like it. And the beardie pellets are ok but they don't replace bugs, they're mainly for snacks, no matter what they claim on the package. I don't like them because of the dyes they used to make the different colours, but they won't harm your dragon.

JaffaCake

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dont worry i wont replace the bugs with the pellets i know live food is way better for them but i give pellets anyway, the pellets arent like others were they are different colours like red etc they are just brown pellets and smell kind of bad :/ the pet store said it has the vitamins and calcium of live food, but im still going to feed them live food doesnt matter if the pellets provide for them. Its 12:49 here so its too late to give them their food they went to sleep at half 9, i keep their lights on for 12 hours everyday.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I guess it's different in the UK, you can get some products that aren't available here in Canada. Either way, I'm glad you're not using them like live food as some do. So glad you're taking such great care of your babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom