My Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bootz

Ok. I've already started working on it but here are the written plans....

Dimensions: 4' L x 2' H x 2' D

Materials:
1/4" plywood(for top, back, and bottom)
1/8" plywood (for sides)
2x2's (for the frame)
plexiglass (front window)
2 wall vents
12/2 wire(for all electrical)
Clear Latex Caulk (to seal cracks)

Steps:
1) Cut frame to specs.
2) Screw frame together with 3" wood screws.
3) Cut plywood and plexiglass to dimensions.
4) Attach plywood to top, bottom, back, and sides.
5) Attach tracks to frame for plexiglass.
6) Seal cracks with Latex.
7) Drill holes in top for electrical wire.
8) Attach Flexwatt heat tape to floor of enclosure.
9) Build cover for top. (To cover holes from electrical equip.) *Built from more 1/8" plywood and 2x2's and molding/trim.*

I'll post pix when its done.

hartungs

Hatchling Member
Hey Bootz,

Good luck builidng your new viv. A couple of comments. You may want to add some smaller 2" circular vents to the top rear of the enclosure. This will help adding some ventilation. Also, why are you installing heat tape in the floor? This is not needed.

Bootz

Original Poster
I'm adding the heat tape because of where I live. It's more of a precaution than anything else. I don't trust the contractors who built my base house. Everything made for the military is made by the lowest bidder. So someday I foresee my furnace going out and housing maintenance taking their sweet time to get it fixed. Winters/springs here in Montana are really bad. Night time temps are around the low 20's to mid 30's, and for most of the winter the temps are in the negatives. If my furnace went out it would possibly be a few days or more before it could get fixed. The flexwatt is going to be on a thermostat and set at a low temp until spring is over and then the next time it gets plugged in will be next fall.

Bootz

Original Poster
As of right now I am 60% done with this enclosure. all I have left to do is finish the electrical work, finish the fake rock/cave, get the doors and locks put together and on the sliding track, stain and seal a few things, and put the vents in.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, it sounds like it's going to be quite the "cushy" home, Bootz. Looking forward to seeing pics when you can provide! :)

crazyerick

needpics.gif

Seven65

Juvie Member
How hot does the heat tape get? BDs sense heat from above, not below, a better option may be an overhead CHE for overnight heating. Another advantage of a CHE is you can vary the temp it puts out by switching the bulb.

And pics would be great : ]

Bootz

Original Poster
The heat tape can get up to around 125F but with a thermostat it only goes to where the stat is set. My purpose for it is only ambient heat during emergency situations only and I will most likely use a CHE with it.

Bootz

Original Poster
Ran into an unforeseen difficulty. I can only fit 1 1/3 tiles wide and 3 1/3 wide. Any info on where I can find a rental tile saw?

BDCleo

I ran into the same problem with needing to cut the tile. I found a cheap tile cutter that worked well for my limited need. It is called a 13" Easy Score Tile Cutter and I found it at Menards (like a Home Depot type store) in the tile area. It was only about $15, which is probably quite a bit less than renting a tile saw. Basically, it uses a wheel to score the tile where you want to cut and then you press down on the handle to break it on the score line. My first attempt didn't work well, but once I got the feel for it, it worked fine. I managed to not waste any tiles becuase when I messed up the first cut, I was able to use the tile in another spot where it needed to be smaller. Anway, I would suggest that you might want to get an extra tile or two just in case...

Bootz

Original Poster
well I got a box of 15 and I only need 8. So I think I'm good in case I mess one or two up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom