My Dragons Not Eating Anymore :( UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMom22

Juvie Member
I have offered phoenix worms, different greens, mealworms, superworms and with all of it he has no intrest. he is acting sluggish and slow.

Normally he eats , he even eats greens from our hand, now he just kinda hangs around and does not run when I pick him up, does not run or even walk when hes out of the cage.

I know you're all going to say bring him to the vet, however inless the vet can set something up for payment plan (and i'm almost sure he wont) I can not do this rght now. Sounds awful, and I feel bad for it, but I just cant.

Can anyone give me some kinda advise, or anything I should be doing different or trying?
Hes 16inches long. Will be two in March. (Also seems small for his age)

ANd now hes showing stress marks, or at least I think they are, b/c i've never seen the dark on him before . Ill post his pic...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you could review your tank setup with us, perhaps we might see something that could be off. :D
What type & brand of UVB lighting are you using? A fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light? How close is the UVB light to him & how old is the UVB light? What type of basking light do you have, a bright white one or a colored one?
Do you give him calcium several times per week?
Can he walk normally, & climb without dragging his body? Can he support his body on all fours properly?
What are the temperatures in the tank? What type of thermometer do you use, a stick on type, a digital probe or a temp gun?

It "could" possibly be brumation, but, before confirming that we need to make sure everything else is accurate with his setup.
Some pictures would be helpful with assessing his overall physical condition.

Tracie

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Tracie

Thanks for the reply!
The UVB is Reptisun 10.0 bought 3 months ago. (I believe this is concidered tube lighting)
The UVB and basking light are about 6-8 inches from the top of his tree. His basking light is a 75watt house bulb.
Calcium-no.
He can walk without dragging, but he really don't chose to walk at all. The thermometer is a probe called acurite. He basks in 102
I cant even get a stool sample to take the vet b/c his poo is watery.
He is getting dark.. colors i've never seen on him, almost black, and not under his beard, but on his back. I'll post a pic for you.

If I remember right.. someone once said something about using baby food? Should I make him eat some?

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Original Poster
First two he was younger without the black

DSCI0631-1.jpg

DSCI0633-1.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I see some pics, so you must have posted them correctly.
How is he doing today?
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb is fine, & the distance is good. Is there screen or a plastic lens between him & the light? If so, that will block out the UVB for up to 30% which will not allow him to get enough UVB lighting.
The acurite digital probe should be fine to measure his temperatures with. Yes, you can get some chicken, or turkey baby food to get some food into him. Where have you placed the acurite digital probe, directly underneath his basking area? What type of basking light do you use, a bright white light or a colored light?
Also, squash baby food can be mixed in as well. Just use a plastic dropper or a plastic syringe to feed him. At first try dripping food on the end of his nose, to see if he will lick the food off of his nose. He might just start licking the food if he likes it.
You will need to get some powdered calcium to use 5 days per week, but just once daily on his crickets or his veggies if he eats the veggies or greens. He can't process calcium to keep his bones strong without getting a calcium supplementation especially while he is growing. The Reptisun 10 tube bulb provides the proper UVB exposure so he needs to calcium to be absorbed as well.

Tracie

BDMom22

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3bwdzx7a said:
Hello,

I see some pics, so you must have posted them correctly.
How is he doing today?
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb is fine, & the distance is good. Is there screen or a plastic lens between him & the light? If so, that will block out the UVB for up to 30% which will not allow him to get enough UVB lighting.
The acurite digital probe should be fine to measure his temperatures with. Yes, you can get some chicken, or turkey baby food to get some food into him. Where have you placed the acurite digital probe, directly underneath his basking area? What type of basking light do you use, a bright white light or a colored light?
Also, squash baby food can be mixed in as well. Just use a plastic dropper or a plastic syringe to feed him. At first try dripping food on the end of his nose, to see if he will lick the food off of his nose. He might just start licking the food if he likes it.
You will need to get some powdered calcium to use 5 days per week, but just once daily on his crickets or his veggies if he eats the veggies or greens. He can't process calcium to keep his bones strong without getting a calcium supplementation especially while he is growing. The Reptisun 10 tube bulb provides the proper UVB exposure so he needs to calcium to be absorbed as well.

Tracie

Tracie. I'm not sure if it matters or not but the dragons are awake from 9pm to 9am. (Because i work nights and sleep days)
This sounds terrible.. but where do I get the powdered calcium? Right now all I have is some cricket dust that I put on the crickets and the worms before his feeding.
Between him and light is screening.
If he does not take the food by dribbling on his nose do I have to force it into his mouth? Should i try a colorful salad for him? Maybe apples and strawberrie? He must be starving. How do I know if its brumation or not?
I'm going to get him into a warm bath. Maybe I can get a video of how he is and post to show you.
Ill even offer him different worms.
Thanks for keeping up w/ me on here. It means a lot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that time of 9am to 9pm is ok, it is a 12 hour cycle. He is too young to go into brumation though. Do you know his age then, since he is 16 inches he must be at least 10 months?
What type of supplement dust do you have? It is most likely just a vitamin supplement that has just a little bit of calcium in it, so that is why I suggested straight calcium powder. You should be able to find calcium powder in most pet stores. The most popular brand is the Repcal calcium with or without D3.
No you shouldn't have to force the food into his mouth, especially if he starts to lick the food off of his nose willingly that will make it very easy. You can try a colorful salad, with collard or mustard greens & put a few small pieces of fruit in it maybe he would like that.
If you can't find any powdered calcium, let me know.
Let me know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom