My dragon wont eat any greens!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadillac

He is new i have only had him like 5 days but i have only got him to eat like 1 or 2 bites what is the best way to get him to eat veggies hand feed him or jus leave them in his cage

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Totally normal for babies. Some will take to it quickly, many will not. Just keep offering, many say first thing in the am is best. You can also try to feed by hand, or make a "moving salad" where you place some greens on top of say, phoenix worms (crickets just tend to escape). Our dragon is 6 months and still troubled by veggies, but today she ate a few from her moving salad, and I was encouraged. :mrgreen:

Hang in there. Babies are wired for growth, and this mean protein (bugs!), and lots of it/them. I'm sure Swiper will get the hang of veggies in time! :wink:

The best,
Em

UTreptiles

Is it a new baby? How old is it? What kind of veggies are you feeding him? Most babies will not normally eat alot of veggies. As babies the diet will consist of about 80 percent meaties (crickets, pheonix worms, very small roaches, etc.) and about 20 percent veggies. As they get older the diet will shift more towards veggies and less need on meaties. You can try yellow squash. All my dragons love that stuff. Beautifuldragons.com has alot of info in what dragons can and can't eat. As long as he is eating "meaties", don't worry too much on whether he is eating all his veggies. Just have it available for him during the day.

shygurl0189

Hatchling Member
also what you can do is spray them with alittle water. i had to do that for my boy to eat them when he was little. i do agree with puttin greens with the bugs you can also put the bugs on top and when they go and get a worm they willget some of the greens also. i wish i could help more but casanova likes his greens,

spyder86

Hatchling Member
Try mustard greens or squash. and don't blend them up into mush, or at least mine wont touch it if I do they seem to like them best when I had shred their greens.

cadillac

Original Poster
i have had my dragon for a week and i havent got him to eat any greens or veggies should i worry i mean he eats crix like crazy ???

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
I agree try to switch it up a bit! Try mixing baby food up in the greens or putting the bugs on top of the greens! They also love dandelion greens! Try sweet potato's, dandelion greens and any kind of squash you can find just make sure you cook the squash and sweet potato's. Try some fruit. Just my 2 cents....

Lance

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Twobeardieguy":00f1b said:
They also love dandelion greens!

I can't believe I'm actually watching my yard for dandelions for some other reason than to YANK them. :mrgreen:

Cadillac,

Like I said in my first post, this is really very normal for a lot of beardies. Many just do not take to veggies right away, and some for months. Just keep trying, mix it up, moving salad, different items (our girl will eat a little bit of apple if nothing else). In time, and with persistence on your part, your beardie will come around. And remember, you can always feed the greens he won't eat to the crickets, beardie will get those greens one way or another! :wink: And again, babies are wired for growth. Their instincts tell them "must eat lots of protein!" If he's gobbling up lots of bugs 2-3 times a day, then be encouraged, he's happy and healthy. The veggies will come, and no, as long as you are supplementing (calcium 5 x per week, and vites 1-2 x per week), and gut loading the crickets, he will be fine until such time he's ready to eat veggies on his own...

Hang in there, and enjoy...

Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom