my dragon has pooped something that looks just like a grape

Status
Not open for further replies.

culbert9

ok ill try and give him a sugar water bath at least 2 times a day. is that going to be enough?

Also should i take out every from his cage so he dosent rupture it? maybe just take out everything exept a open side and a side with a large water dish? the problem is i have a ledge in the cage and he climbs that in order to get to the UV and the heat and if i take that out he will not be as warm. is it worth it. The ledge is just wood with a carpet on it.

Please help and thank you for the help i am EXTREMELY worried.

culbert9

Also how would i keep it moist when he is always under the heat lamp? just keep pour a little water over it? he always sits on this carpet like thing i have in the cage, should i be making sure that is moist at all times?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he looking today, is he any better? If not, I highly recommend getting him to a vet. Otherwise, that area is going to dry out & become necrotic & your dragon will likely not make it through that ordeal. If you can use some ky jelly or some vaseline on the area to keep it from drying out that would help. If you have loose substrate, take it out so it does not get stuck on the area, either.

Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

culbert9

Its not looking good at all. Im really starting to get depressed about this. I go to Michigan state and there is a veterinarian clinic kind of thing so im gonna take some pictures and go there tomorrow and see if i can get something cheap because i cannot afford a veterinarian bill right now. Im pouring some water on home almost every hour. and trying to give him sugar baths 3 times a day. If and when i fix this i really need to know what i did wrong in order for this to happen.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
culbert9":02a63 said:
Its not looking good at all. Im really starting to get depressed about this. I go to Michigan state and there is a veterinarian clinic kind of thing so im gonna take some pictures and go there tomorrow and see if i can get something cheap because i cannot afford a veterinarian bill right now. Im pouring some water on home almost every hour. and trying to give him sugar baths 3 times a day. If and when i fix this i really need to know what i did wrong in order for this to happen.
I am sorry your having all of this trouble.You have already been given the only at home remedy I know unfortunately they are not going to be able to give you something.I think you really need to bring the beardie there so they can either remove it or reinsert it.If they do this then your beardie should be ok but if left untreated it will get necrotic.You are using COOl water with the sugar right?Warm wont work.Did you get KY jelly to keep on it?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let's get this problem taken care of first, & then we will fix whatever happened to cause this prolapse. OK? We will run over your husbandry with you to see what happened.
I hope you can get him in to the vet today. Otherwise, he will continue to decline with a prolapse of that magnitude.

Tracie

sonny

Original Poster
tracie,
i am at home as we speak,taking time off work like i cant to take sonny to a vet which i cannot afford because when i pick him up to put him in his bath i feel his skeleton through his now flimsy hanging skin. he is not eating but is hungry and just lays there. i cannot stand it. he needs a vet so that is where we are going at 11. i will let u know what happens and thank you for asking. anyone else out there whose bd has a prolapse please forget the soaking. it is only using up time your animal doesnt have. just get it to a vet.

culbert9

This is really hard, but i went to the MSU vet and they told me its fixable but that does not mean that it will not reaccure. I asked them how much the surgery would be and she told me just for the exam it is $100. I really cannot afford even that. He is starting to get bad, the grape is flatter now and he has not eating in days. Please lend me some advise here. I think im just going to stick it out and keep it moist and hope that it fixes itself and if it gets too bad ill have to put him down.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
culbert9":a4c05 said:
This is really hard, but i went to the MSU vet and they told me its fixable but that does not mean that it will not reaccure. I asked them how much the surgery would be and she told me just for the exam it is $100. I really cannot afford even that. He is starting to get bad, the grape is flatter now and he has not eating in days. Please lend me some advise here. I think im just going to stick it out and keep it moist and hope that it fixes itself and if it gets too bad ill have to put him down.
I am really sorry about the position your in however if he has the surgery it cant really happen again as the parts will be removed and the chances of recovery on his own after this long period of time is slim and thats being optimistic.Is there a reptile rescue group in the area you could contact.They would be willing to get him the vet care he needs if you surrender the beardie to them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that you are in this position. I agree though, is there a rescue facility, or perhaps a friend who could take him temporarily to help care for him while you cannot at this point? He really needs the surgery, otherwise I hate to say, he most likely wont make it.
He is in immense pain right now, with his insides hanging out like this & it leaves him open for infection. I understand your dilema, I really do. Please consider other options.

Tracie

culbert9

Well i turned off all the lights and let him go to bed early tonight and he is sleeping in his water dish so maybe that will soften it up and it will recede, but if not, what do you suggest i do? Am i just putting him through unnecessary pain by doing this? I will go to the vet tomorrow and maybe there is a student or something who will take the task for free or something to that effect but if not, would it be better to put him down rather than trying to stick it out? I cannot take in a $400 bill right now.

I looked it up and i couldn't find a reptile rescue group. I cannot believe that this is happening to me right now. I have two exams next week and i have been trying to study for these while all this is going on but i just cant. I cannot concentrate.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
culbert9":34b04 said:
Well i turned off all the lights and let him go to bed early tonight and he is sleeping in his water dish so maybe that will soften it up and it will recede, but if not, what do you suggest i do? Am i just putting him through unnecessary pain by doing this? I will go to the vet tomorrow and maybe there is a student or something who will take the task for free or something to that effect but if not, would it be better to put him down rather than trying to stick it out? I cannot take in a $400 bill right now.

I looked it up and i couldn't find a reptile rescue group. I cannot believe that this is happening to me right now. I have two exams next week and i have been trying to study for these while all this is going on but i just cant. I cannot concentrate.
Post on craigslist of your situation to see if someone is willing or knows of a place that will do this for you.As for what to do I dont want to tell you to euthinize because this really is a repairable problem and generally a one time thing.Is there no one that can help you?Do you think they would take a payment plan from you?Maybe you could pay them off or work it off?

culbert9

How much do the surgeries cost ussually? There is a payment plan but its gonna be extremely hard to jpay this off because of of my living situation right now.

I need to know how much these ussually cost so if you could let me know that would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom