My care for soon beardy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, everything looks good ! What size is the terrarium? I wouldn't bother with a hammock, beardies like to climb on solid structures and the basking platforms you have are much better. The only concern is that some dragons [ mine would ] try to eat the fake greenery. The liner for the floor is O.K but you might need 2 or else get some non adhesive shelf liner to use when you wash the other one. Beardie poo is nothing to be trifled with, they can make quite a mess on the carpet !

An insider tip [ well, lots of people know ] is that you can use regular incandescent household bulbs from Walmart/ Lowe's to heat the tank. You can get a 4 pack like this for less than the Exo terra basking bulb .

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjOlpnTysPgAhUItcAKHcH1DMgYABAIGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_2mR6ub_woeSlSp8cdDIXWYWZfiPg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwj-g4_TysPgAhUn9IMKHRgGD-AQ9aACCEI&adurl=

The link says ebay but you can get something similar or halogen bulbs at walmart or Home Depot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ceardy":2uu6cunr said:
Does this look good care wise? :blob8:

Tank: https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...ariums/exo-terra-reptile-terrarium-15040.html
The tank will be fine for awhile so the 40 gallon is what I am thinking that size is will be fine for a baby but eventually you are going to want to upgrade to a bigger tank - like a 4x2x2 they are hard to find but the one I found was a Zen Habitat that was $269 free shipping you can google it but that would be too big for a baby at this point -
Substrate: https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/substrate-and-bedding/zilla-reptile-terrarium-liner-14993.html
that liner will work but most of us on the forum use either slated tile or a non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or your local hard ware store - tile will haft to be cut to fit tank so I would recommend the non adhesive shelf liner as it would be easier to cut to tank and its a breeze to clean vinegar and water in a spray bottle w/ little on heavier on vinegar side
Decor: https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...ving-things-slate-basking-platform-37985.html
the basking rock / cave is to your preference -- I have a rock that has a cave that Hiccup sits on and sleeps in it between his platform/ cave that I got from Petsmart- the hammock I would get a fleece one or cloth less chance of them getting their nails caught in mesh-- you can find them at pamperedbeardies.com she has lots of stuff for them -- again ornaments are to what ever you like to put in there - the bonsai reptile ornament has a very small opening he will eventually not be able to get in to it-- alot of people put water dishes in their tanks I do not have one for Hiccup he has has really never drank water from anything he gets his water from his vegies that I wash so when he eats them hes getting water thru them - he does get baths although he hates them and when he does go to the bathroom its got lots of water you will haft to see if your little one will drink water from a bowl - you will need a dish for his vegies -- if you get a baby his main diet will be bugs either crickets or dubia roaches I recommend dubias they are less headache to care for and they dont stink like crickets -- you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium and feed them dubia food / and apples squash sweet potato and carrots for water - your baby will eat or should eat w/ the proper lighting etc about 20-30 crickets in a 10 minute feed-- they say feed them 2 times per day Hiccup would only eat once per day or 6-8 roaches not bigger than the size between their eyes same w/ crickets- 1 roach = 6 crickets-- those bugs should be dusted in calcium d3 powder 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week -
Lighting: https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...andtrade-reptile-basking-spot-lamp-14833.html Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will
need a T5 light fixture also.

Diet: mainly insects when baby when older more greens like this as shown here http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Supplements: Not sure
calcium d3 powder 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week

Ceardy

Original Poster
AHBD":y8a82ext said:
Hi there, everything looks good ! What size is the terrarium? I wouldn't bother with a hammock, beardies like to climb on solid structures and the basking platforms you have are much better. The only concern is that some dragons [ mine would ] try to eat the fake greenery. The liner for the floor is O.K but you might need 2 or else get some non adhesive shelf liner to use when you wash the other one. Beardie poo is nothing to be trifled with, they can make quite a mess on the carpet !

An insider tip [ well, lots of people know ] is that you can use regular incandescent household bulbs from Walmart/ Lowe's to heat the tank. You can get a 4 pack like this for less than the Exo terra basking bulb .

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjOlpnTysPgAhUItcAKHcH1DMgYABAIGgJpbQ&sig=AOD64_2mR6ub_woeSlSp8cdDIXWYWZfiPg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwj-g4_TysPgAhUn9IMKHRgGD-AQ9aACCEI&adurl=

The link says ebay but you can get something similar or halogen bulbs at walmart or Home Depot.
Shelf liner sounds great and thanks for lighting idea but i heard this bulb is good so im gonna test how long it lasts!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
97951-1410759176.jpg
-- Here is a pic of Hiccups tank I have since added floral stuff to it
Karrie

Ceardy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":14tvgkaw said:
97951-1410759176.jpg
-- Here is a pic of Hiccups tank I have since added floral stuff to it
Karrie
is that tiles on the ground of it? i might consider that cause im still un sure with the substrate

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes it is slated ceramic tile I got from Home Depot -- you will haft to measure your tank and more than likely cut them to size of tank -- I had suggested you wait till you get him into his tank he will be permanently in so your not having to do the cut tile thing all over again - the non adhesive shelf liner would be the easiest if your going to upgrade - I had a 50 gallon that I donated to a girl who had gotten a beardy and had nothing for it but a 10 gallon tank - that tank also had the same tile in it but Hiccup was in that tank from when he was 3 months old so when I upgraded to the 120 gallon or 4x2x2 tank I went w/ the same setup so to speak - I did end up going to the Arcadia 10.0 T5 light set up -- the basking bulb stayed the same -
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I forgot to say the 150 watt bulb might be too hot for the 40 gallon tank -- please make sure you take temps w/ a Infrared heat gun --- they are the most accurate and cheap - you can get them from Walmart or Home Depot -- you dont want to roast your beardie

Karrie

Ceardy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2oiikjf4 said:
I forgot to say the 150 watt bulb might be too hot for the 40 gallon tank -- please make sure you take temps w/ a Infrared heat gun --- they are the most accurate and cheap - you can get them from Walmart or Home Depot -- you dont want to roast your beardie

Karrie
Thanks should i lower it to a 100 watt?

Ceardy

Original Poster
I found shelf liner do you think I should put tiles for the bottom or just put shelf liner and then put sandpaper to file his nails on?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No sandpaper, that would be very abrasive + possibly cause sores. I don't really like tile either, they don't live on stone in the wild . They live on hard packed dirt + mostly sand in grassy areas with shrubs + driftwood in most of their territory. Lots of keepers like tile but again, it's not natural.

Ceardy

Original Poster
AHBD":1h5j50id said:
No sandpaper, that would be very abrasive + possibly cause sores. I don't really like tile either, they don't live on stone in the wild . They live on hard packed dirt + mostly sand in grassy areas with shrubs + driftwood in most of their territory. Lots of keepers like tile but again, it's not natural.
With that said what substrate should I use cause I'm quite confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom