My beardies eyes are swollen help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Not all dragons are the same. Some get affected more than others do. It could be just a matter of time before she would begin to show any problems. Genetics plays a vital role as well. I recommend getting another light because if she is going to lay more eggs, she will begin to show problems before long. They can only go so long without proper UVB lighting.
Is he larger than he? Which one spends less time at the light?

Tracie

i182willsw

Original Poster
He's larger then her and he probably spends less time in the light.
here are the pictures, ironically i took closeups of his eyes like a week before this happened.
00003059-fullsize.jpg

00003060-fullsize.jpg

00003058-fullsize.jpg

00003061-fullsize.jpg

and then i just love this picture
00003010-fullsize.jpg

i182willsw

Original Poster
One more thing i never mentioned, i let him eat like 6 pinkys month. And i know they are full of fat but he just loves them. I did however cut him off since he's been sick. Don't know if to fatty of a diet was hurting him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, it is good probability that he is overweight due to the pinky's. They should really not have them at all, but if you must feed them, limit to 1 per month, or every 6 week. Right now, he doesn't need them. How long did you feed him that many for?
Their liver cannot handle such a large influx of fat & it can encourage fatty liver disease.
I highly recommend getting a new UVB light & I know you are planning on that.
Also, he does need to be limited on his protein right now, & begin pushing oral fluids along with greens & veggies daily.
What are his basking temps again, & what do you use to measure the temps?

Tracie

i182willsw

Original Poster
I have a laser and two digital thermometers. it's about 80 on the cool side and 100 on the warm side. There isn't really a basking light since i use a ceramic heater but there are warm spots that hit about 105. OK so i bought two lights and he drinks just fine but what foods do you recommend. i was looking at silk worms because they are low in fat, but do you recommend just greens. because he's never been big on them and i was just curious what ones would you give him. I have mustard greens right now and do you think he'd eat the store bought bearded dragon foods because i've never had any luck with those.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can offer silkworms, hornworms, phoenix worms, butterworms, crickets, or roaches. Those are great sources of protein. An adult needs roughly 50 feeders per week.
How is he doing this evening?

Tracie

i182willsw

Original Poster
He hasn't eaten in a few days, but i'm ok with that because i figure he's going to have to be very hungry in order to try his new diet of greens. I looked online and found a site that said this about silk worms.
Contain an enzyme called serrapeptase, this has properties that make calcium absorption more efficient, can reduce inflammation, pain and best of all it can break down arterial plaque.
Which seems like a lot of the symptoms he's having. What's your take on these, or should i stick to greens, also do you have any tricks on improving exorcise. During the summer it's easy i take him out and he runs around the yard, but winter is rough for everyone in the house.

MagillaGorilla

Hatchling Member
Serrapeptase... (Serratio Peptidase) is a proteolytic enzyme commercially produced in the laboratory and isolated from the microorganism, Serratia E15. It was originally found being used by silkworms to aid digestion and dissolve its chrysalis. This enzyme can be used to digest non-living tissue, blood clots, cysts, arterial plaque and inflammation in all forms. The uses are wide ranging and cover just about every condition that is affected by inflammation and/or non-living tissue and is in clinical use in parts of Asia and Europe. Serrapeptase is used as an alternative to Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) which are commonly used to treat arthritis and inflammation. Dr. Hans Alfred Nieper (1928-1998) used Serrapeptase as an arterial blockage treatment for patients in Germany.

sounds like it could help. i dont know enough to give an opinion on whether or not you should keep him away from the protein but sounds like its a good thing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Serrapeptase is very effective for liver cleansing & function. Milk thistle & dandelion are also very good for improving liver function.
I do not recommend completely leaving out protein because a sudden & rapid decrease of fats & proteins will cause in influx of fat to be released into the body. The liver cannot handle all of the fat & is not able to assimiliate & metabolize it effectively enough.
A gradual decrease is the best until you are only feeding equivalent of about 40-50 feeders at the most, for your adult dragon.

Any updates for us?

Tracie

i182willsw

Original Poster
Well thanks everyone, As fast as this all happened i'm sure it will be a slower recovery. He seemed to be doing fine today, chased his little female friend around trying to have familiar relations (best form of exercise for him). I'm supposed to get the silk worms sometime this week and i will defiantly keep you guys posted, especially since i've looked all over the web and found people with the same problem but no one cared to finish the topics with a solution. Thank again

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today?
Good you will be getting the silkworms soon. He should really like them.
It sounds like he is at least somewhat active so hopefully he is feeling a little better.
I will finish this situation out for you, so, I definitely want follow ups & updates on him. Thanks.

Tracie

MissRocky

I do not mean to alarm you, but the pics of your beardie with the swollen eyes and beard made my cry. My beloved 5 year old beardie died this weekend. She looked almost EXACTLY like the pics of your beardie. I took her to a reptile store to get an opinion prior to taking her to the vet. The guy said that he could not figure out why her beard and eyes were so swollen, but it was nothing to be worried about, unless she started to lose her appetite and/or the beard became hard. The beard was soft (almost like there was water in there) and she never lost her appetite, but died in her sleep a week after I took her in. In hindsight, I truly wish that I would have taken her to the vet. Maybe there was nothing that could have been done, but I wouldn't be feeling as guilty and horrible as I do. Just thought you should at least consider taking your beardie to the vet. It's too late for me.
:(

i182willsw

Original Poster
I'm sorry about your dragon, we did end up taking Tito to two different vets and finally the last vet told us he thought it could be MBD. This shocked me because our other dragon which is a female who had recently laid eggs was in the same cage as our boy. If anyone would have gotten it you'd think it'd be her. But he told us to mix up his foods and give him this calcium liquid he had. I bought two new mercury bulbs and have been putting him in the back yard as it is finally getting warmer here. He seems to be getting better, the jelly like stuff in his beard is slowly going down and while he wont eat any live food i just hand feed him different baby foods a couple times a day. Talk about variety. Hopefully this is all that was wrong with him and we can get him better in the next few months.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are your dragon's eyes swollen all of the time? I ask because in that one particular picture, it looked like he was bulging his eyes which they will do. The other picture his eyes were larger yes, which could be high blood pressure.
How is he liking his new greens & veggie eating regime?
I am somewhat doubtful that it is metabolic bone disease with the pinkies that he was getting quite a bit of calcium, but he may have a nutritional deficiency just because he was not getting the proper diet. When they get too much of one thing & not enough of something else it will throw other levels off. Alot of times, the calcium to phosphorus ratios can get off really badly which affects the absorption rate of calcium. That is fine to give the liquid calcium. Did he dose it for you?
I think one he loses some weight, his health will improve. That is great his beard is becoming a little less full now.
The natural sunlight will greatly help him also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom