My beardies eyes are swollen help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissRocky

I am glad to hear that your beardie is doing better! I have been trying to get answers from all different sources as to the cause of this untimely death. I am FAR from being ready to get another one, but I would like to avoid this sorrow in the future. One source thought that the substrate I was using could have been the problem. I was using the calcium sand that is sold in most reptile stores. I guess they can't digest it and it becomes toxic to them? Any thoughts/ideas about this?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
MissRocky, it causes impaction ! That is why we promote non particle substrates so much !
You may have seen your dragon lick at things throughout the viv ? Well, if enough calcisand is licked up, it causes a blockage in the intestinal tract, which means all the waste product just sits in the tract.
Calcisand is actually the worst for impaction issues, as it clots up into large masses.
I had my first dragon ( an 8 year old, with highly questionable husbandry) on play sand, but after educating myself on forums like this one (LOVE YOU GUYS !) I switched out to tile on all my reptiles.
I lost the old boy at Christmas 08, and since have adopted 3 more, but this time I had all the husbandry correct, and they are all healthy, happy, and controlling me (grin).
Janie.

MissRocky

Janie... thank you for your response. I just don't understand why ANY reptile store would sell the Calcisand if it is so toxic to them. I wish I would have known about this forum when I first got my beardie. I could have saved her life. I can't beat myself up about it, but man, do I feel like crap! I will rely on this site in the future. Thanks everyone for your responses! Beardie owners ROCK!

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Sadly it comes down to this. $$ for each product sold, regardless of what health issues it may promote. Also, most ps are either have sadly out dated information or worse, none at all, just winging it with whatever they think or have been told by the owners.
We are glad to have you here, and this place and people do Rock !
Janie.

i182willsw

Original Poster
Unfortunately he wasn't just budging his eyes they were like that all the time, and still swell up a little at night. The Vet said it could be MBD or just malnutrition so we are now focusing on a variety of foods and plenty of sun light we hit 77 degrees today so things are looking good on that end.

i182willsw

Original Poster
A couple weeks ago his throat went down quite a bit and then the next day it was big again. Last night his throat was huge and then all of a sudden this morning it was all gone.
00003257-fullsize.jpg

We'll see if it still there tomorrow but this might have been a nutrition/calcium thing. Since it's happened I've got two MVB been feeding him a bunch of different organic baby foods with calcium drops and vitamins mixed in them. He seems to be on his was to recovery.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is looking better, gradually, so keep on giving him the lower fat foods & the vitamins & calcium. Hopefully he will continue to improve for you. He looks a bit perkier to me as well.
Keep us posted on him! If you can get some real sun for him, that would help him out alot too. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom