My beardies aren't eating crickets like they use to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
What age do they stop being so interested in the crickets and eat more greens? Both of my beardies are 7 months now and just don't care about the crickets like they use to. I was going through about 100 crickets a day, now their both not interested. Sabella will eat a few if I put them in her tank, but will wait a while before she eats so I don't really know how many she's eating. Koche could care less. I keep putting them in his cage, but I have not seen him eat any yet. The little suckers hid so it's hard to catch them and take out the left overs. I've given Koche and Sabella phoenix worms. They are too expensive and Koche's tummy could not handle them. He would poop them out whole. I don't know what to do?
I am treating Koche for yellow fungus and I just removed his "Girlfriend" from his tank, took out all his decorations and repti carpet so it would be easier to treat and clean him. I've put a stack of rock to bask on and paper towels for the bottom.
He's got all the basking (halogen 100) and uvb (repti sun) bulbs, temps around 105 on basking to 80 on cool side. I changed this all around Monday so maybe this is just an adjustment phase? His appetite was decreasing before all of this though. I wonder if the wormer Panacur that the vet gave him causes loss of appetite?
I know he misses his girl friend, she's in another tank and will stay there for good now. He seems happy while sunning, just can't get him to eat other than his veggies.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Nikki

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
yes it could be a form of relocation stress, and the treatment. medicines are hard on their systems and that's why they're not given out lightly, or at least shouldn't be. also it could be just the season. even if they don't brumate, it is common for them to slow down during the cooler months.

How long has it been since the treatment? It can take them a few weeks to bounce back. If it's been more than a few weeks, a follow up might be in order. I'm not familiar with fungus, but with other things it sometimes takes more than one round to take care of it all.

definitions

Juvie Member
I'm having the same issue with my dragon he is 6 mos old and I have 2 different roach colonies a dubia and a lobster. He wont eat any of the roaches but he will heat his greens and squash and veggies. He will also eat supers but, I do them sparingly through out the week. My temps and stuff are all what they should be. I don't know when he should brumate but, he has been acting more tired lately. I guess I will just keep his salad fresh everyday.

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! His first worming was this past Monday, 4 days ago. The treatment for this fungus is basically betadine and lamisil, a topical treatment twice a day. The topical treatment shouldn't affect him...so they say. I totally understand if the worming does. The vet said it would stay in his system for 14 days. In 14 days I have to give the vet another fecal sample to make sure any and all parasites have vacated the beardie! My concern was that his appetite really began to slow down before the separation of his tank mate and the fungus. It's not just Koche, it's Sabella as well. I live in Ga. and the nights have gotten in to the teens and the days have been in the 50's, so maybe a combination of the both, illness and brumnation. I'm not sure if their old enough for brumnation though? Forgive my spelling,lol. Is there a specific age for brumnation or do all ages experience it?
For 6 months it has been WONDERFUL, then now I'm having issues and concern for my little beardies! I've read so many topics thinking, bless their hearts!!! Well, now I'm feeling the pain as well,lol. That's what I get for thinking huh? :banghead:

Now that I'm thinking back a few weeks, I guess the lack of appetite did start when it began to get cold, maybe mid October or so. Hmmmmm, not sure. Maybe it's the season? Well, if that's so, I totally wasted nearly 100 bucks on 3 thousand crickets, food and water crystals for a month. :angry5:

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I would keep an eye on them. The decreased appetite was probably a combination of the season and the worms. Their tummies felt bad, so they slowed down the eating. Just think about how you feel when your stomach feels icky, food is the last thing you want. And they probably were sick a lot longer than you realized. It's their instinct to hide illness for as long as they can and they are very good at it. It's one of the reasons why people recommend regular check-ups and fecals.

Unfortunately the medicine used to treat those things also kill the friendly microbes in their systems too some of which help break down food that has been ingested. So that's one of the reasons they're probably not feeling too hot still even if all the bad stuff is gone. The body needs time to recover and restore that balance. One of the things you can do is provide a probiotic, or soy yogurt to help replenish the friendly bacteria.

Something else you can do to help keep their strength up is to supplement with baby food, plain chicken, squash, sweet potatoes are usually liked. You can water it down a little, add the vitamins and put some on their nose for them to lick up. I was able to get away with putting a little in my girls' salads, but not all dragons will eat it that way. Critical Care is supposed to be good too.

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much for easing my mind a bit. I will keep a close eye on both and give it some time. They're both rather chunky so no harm so far, lol. I will keep all the info in mind and thanks for the feeding info as well. I've been looking at the probiotics and wondering if they could use that after a worming. I'll def. get some to help my precious beardies. I just hate the idea of them not feeling well. :cry: I'll keep ya posted on their recovery, and Thank You so much again for the advice!
Have a great weekend!
Nikki

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Its a fact that probiotics have no effect on the number of 'good bacteria' Its actually the pH of the yoghurt that helps settle the tummy. Dont waste your money on probiotics (there a massive con) and just get soy yoghurt.

As a medical microbiologist i have this conversation quite regularly, one company was sued a few years ago for false advertising over the issue!

nikkiperry2580

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow, thanks for the info! So tell me this....How often do you offer it to the beardie and how much? Just a drop on the nose or what?
Thanks for the advice! Have a great weekend!!!
Nikki

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Are they in shed? Sometimes that affects appetite as well.
I was wondering about my Clovis not being as keen on exploring this week. It is probably because it's been friggin freezing.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
I have never had to do it, but you drop it on the snout and hopefully they get the idea and lick it off, a few drops with every meal should be ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom