My beardie's age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libbyw

I recently got my beardie from a pet shop and they were unsure of the age but around 9 months, I have looked into how big 9 month old bearded dragons are and they are at least double the size of mine. He/she is 8 inches and 20 grams, she/he is only eating around 1 - 3 crickets a day that are small mediums and doesn't like eating the salad but I am occasionally able to get him/her to. Here are some pictures
88356-6858943719.jpg
88356-9642113042.jpg
88356-6302603558.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not a 9 month old IMO , way too small.
If it is indeed 9 months old it's very malnourished and is going to need lots extra high quality live insects and plenty UVA and UVB , and a good basking setup and a long day cycle (I'd recommend 3 live insect feeds per day and at least 10% UVB light source and 15 hour days and a basking spot at about 40degCelsius and night time heating to keep it warm overnight so it can have a boost in its growth).

Nonetheless , it is still going to become a very good pet, and will likely lead a healthy and happy life if your husbandry is good and it's given what it needs , it'll never grow to be a large as most other central beardies (it'll never catch up size wize) but that's OK.
I though she might be a rankins but on double checking the images you provided the crest ridge is indicative of a central beardie.

Are you sure they said she was 9 months old and not 9 weeks old ?

If I'm on the money and she is 9 weeks old , as I strongly suspect based her size, she's doing fine.
(Schedule three high quality live insect meals per day = as many bugs as she wants each feed, lights on 15 hours per day , keep her warm overnight (warmer than 24 degCelsius).)

In either case it's much more important at her age to get lots of high quality live insects than greens and vegs . If she eats greens and salad at her age that's a bonus.

I suggest you feed her
>>> phoenix worms (calcigents) , don't need to be dusted with calcium
>>> small sized silkworms (about 1.5inches long) , don't need to be dusted with calcium
>>> 1/3 sized gut loaded crickets (I think these are called "small" crickets by most sellers) who need to be dusted with calcium or similar sized roaches.

A comparisons :

Smallest 9 month old central beardie I've seen was 210g and she was considerably bigger than the one you've shown us.
My Puff and Rex were both 282g at 9 months old, Peppa was 368g and Toothless 292g at 9 months old.

At 9 weeks old Peppa was 32g, and Toothless was 27g. Puff and Rex were both 23g.

Libbyw

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1twm84u4 said:
If it is indeed 9 months old it's very malnourished and is going to need lots extra high quality live insects and plenty UVA and UVB , and a good basking setup and a long day cycle (I'd recommend 3 live insect feeds per day and at least 10% UVB light source and 15 hour days and a basking spot at about 40degCelsius and night time heating to keep it warm overnight so it can have a boost in its growth).

Nonetheless , it is still going to become a very good pet, and will likely lead a healthy and happy life if your husbandry is good and it's given what it needs , it'll never grow to be a large as most other central beardies (it'll never catch up size wize) but that's OK.
I though she might be a rankins but on double checking the images you provided the crest ridge is indicative of a central beardie.

If I'm on the money and she is 9 weeks old , as I strongly suspect based her size, she's doing fine.
(Schedule three high quality live insect meals per day = as many bugs as she wants each feed, lights on 15 hours per day , keep her warm overnight (warmer than 24 degCelsius).)

In either case it's much more important at her age to get lots of high quality live insects than greens and vegs .

I suggest you feed her
>>> small sized silkworms (about 1.5inches long) , don't need to be dusted with calcium
>>> 1/3 sized gut loaded crickets (I think these are called "small" crickets by most sellers) who need to be dusted with calcium or similar sized roaches.

A comparisons :

Smallest 9 month old central beardie I've seen was 210g and she was considerably bigger than the one you've shown us.
My Puff and Rex were both 282g at 9 months old, Peppa was 368g and Toothless 292g at 9 months old.

At 9 weeks old Peppa was 32g, and Toothless was 27g. Puff and Rex were both 23g.

I try to feed her/him twice a day at the moment but he/she isn't interested much in the crickets I am feeding her/him and will just not eat them, the most I've got her/him to eat in a day in about 5 which is the day I got her/him after that only about 1 - 3 per day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Libbyw":3fsu12tl said:
kingofnobbys":3fsu12tl said:

In either case it's much more important at her age to get lots of high quality live insects than greens and vegs .

I suggest you feed her

A comparisons :

I try to feed her/him twice a day at the moment but he/she isn't interested much in the crickets I am feeding her/him and will just not eat them, the most I've got her/him to eat in a day in about 5 which is the day I got her/him after that only about 1 - 3 per day.

If you've only just got him this week , it's likely he's undergoing some relocation stress. This wont last long, he'll soon be eating you of house and home when he settles in and discovers he's got an empty tummy.
You can easily handfeed little hatchlings - my technique is to have 3 or 4 crickets handy who I've disabled by squashing their heads, and I the pull off the big hind legs and these drumsticks are pushed between the hatchlings lips (thick end in) when the hatchling starts to eat the drumstick I gently press the cricket head first against the lips (if some guts is coming out of the cricket even better) and it'll taste the guts and goodbye cricket. Fabulous way to form a bond with the hatchling too.

Peppa and Toothless were each polishing off 10 small crickets per day + 4 - 6 small silkworms as each as well. By 9 weeks old they had been with us for nearly a month and were well and truly settled in. I was giving each of them 2 - 3 crickets by hand in their first daily meal.

Libbyw

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1zz5kogt said:
Libbyw":1zz5kogt said:
kingofnobbys":1zz5kogt said:

I suggest you feed her

A comparisons :

If you've only just got him this week , it's likely he's undergoing some relocation stress. This wont last long, he'll soon be eating you of house and home when he settles in and discovers he's got an empty tummy.
You can easily handfeed little hatchlings - my technique is to have 3 or 4 crickets handy who I've disabled by squashing their heads, and I the pull off the big hind legs and these drumsticks are pushed between the hatchlings lips (thick end in) when the hatchling starts to eat the drumstick I gently press the cricket head first against the lips (if some guts is coming out of the cricket even better) and it'll taste the guts and goodbye cricket. Fabulous way to form a bond with the hatchling too.

Peppa and Toothless were each polishing off 10 small crickets per day + 4 - 6 small silkworms as each as well. By 9 weeks old they had been with us for nearly a month and were well and truly settled in. I was giving each of them 2 - 3 crickets by hand in their first daily meal.

I just feeding tried her/him three crickets and it worked after about 5 minutes of trying. The woman who was at the shop did say they were 9 months old-ish and I did ask about it and she just went off topic from that. I'll look into the phoenix worms and silkworms. Thank you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Libbyw":1o0nec9m said:
kingofnobbys":1o0nec9m said:
Libbyw":1o0nec9m said:
kingofnobbys":1o0nec9m said:

I suggest you feed her

A comparisons :

I just feeding tried her/him three crickets and it worked after about 5 minutes of trying. The woman who was at the shop did say they were 9 months old-ish and I did ask about it and she just went off topic from that. I'll look into the phoenix worms and silkworms. Thank you.

Mmmm .... either she was BSing you or it's been very malnarished (starved , never fed properly it's entire life if she is not telling porkies).
I'd be very reluctant to follow any advise she gave you on how to set up a home for it and how to care for it.

Libbyw

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1d89711f said:
Libbyw":1d89711f said:
Libbyw":1d89711f said:

I suggest you feed her

A comparisons :

Mmmm .... either she was BSing you or it's been very malnarished (starved , never fed properly it's entire life if she is not telling porkies).
I'd be very reluctant to follow any advise she gave you on how to set up a home for it and how to care for it.

I had already set up the viv before I got her/him, all the other beardies were in the same viv as my one (about 5 - 10) but they all looked the same size roughly even though mine was slightly skinnier to the others.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that the pet store employee just didn't know the age. The dragon is the size of a 3-4 month old [ that's average 3 month, but they can be much bigger or smaller ] Like was mentioned already, he may have a bit of relocation stress and will probably develop a better appetite [ hopefully ] in a week or two. Good uvb with lights on for 13 hours a day is fine, he should thrive with that routine. Hopefully he'll become a happy + healthy member of the family. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Go88 là một trong những nhà cái cá cược trực tuyến hàng đầu với danh tiếng vững chắc trong cộng đồng người chơi.
Tag: #appgo88link #go88link #Game_Go88 #Game_bài_Go88 #Cổng_game_Go88 #Tài_xỉu_Go88 #Nạp_tiền_Go88 #Rút_tiền_Go88 #play_Go88
https://smartcity.bandung.go.id/member/bsc3090527795d
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nickthompson
Top Bottom