Thinking my dragon is stressed or has a parasite.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Vhagara has been doing great and finally eating collard greens (at least). Won't eat any other green or veggie. She would prefer I feed her hornworms all day long but she doesn't get one unless she has eaten her greens. She isn't into eating dubia roaches like she was last year. She might eat about 10 per week. So she was doing well other than I noticed her poop has gotten really stinky like it did last year when she had a parasite (entamoeba). Four days ago my husband and I fixed up the empty Ferret Nation cage in the sun (was 85 degrees) with a dig box, hide, etc. so she could be outside with us. She did not act stressed and spent time basking in the sun. When we came in, we brought her inside to her habitat. About one hour later I tried to feed her and she refused. That was four days ago and she does not want to eat unless it is a hornworm. So in the past four days all she has had to eat in 4 medium hornworms and one medium dubia roach. I am not letting her have anymore worms until I can get her back on greens or roaches. Do you think I stressed her out by taking her outside and this has set her back? I have not taken her outdoors since. Or, could the stress of something new like the outdoors have caused her to be more vulnerable to the parasite. I will try to get a stool sample asap to a reptile vet and check for a parasite. I have noticed lately that sometimes the urate has a small amount for pink tinge to it. Thank you.

Last edited:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
If the conditions are right, she just wants what she wants. Not all beardies are fans of greens. I have to hand feed my beardies ...moreso one than the other for him to eat greens. When he feels like it, he'll eat it. If he doesn't he closes his eyes on me too say no. The other datpy, he jumped down and got it on his own, if they are hungry they'll eat.
Hornworms and superiors are treats for my boys. If they eat them, they hate the dubias. But dubias otherwise, they like them.
I wouldn't worry so much because she's eating.

Fun fact...I just learned they'd eat Human food. I'm still shocked. I've eaten with them on my shoulder, even offered them food to see what they'd do...nothing. then I learned that they could try to grab our food. Mindblown!

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
If the conditions are right, she just wants what she wants. Not all beardies are fans of greens. I have to hand feed my beardies ...moreso one than the other for him to eat greens. When he feels like it, he'll eat it. If he doesn't he closes his eyes on me too say no. The other datpy, he jumped down and got it on his own, if they are hungry they'll eat.
Hornworms and superiors are treats for my boys. If they eat them, they hate the dubias. But dubias otherwise, they like them.
I wouldn't worry so much because she's eating.

Fun fact...I just learned they'd eat Human food. I'm still shocked. I've eaten with them on my shoulder, even offered them food to see what they'd do...nothing. then I learned that they could try to grab our food. Mindblown!
Thank you!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Beardies see spectrums of light we can't. So when they are outside, we look different to them. Once she gets used to going out she will probably love it, most of mine have. But yeah the first few times scares them a bit every year.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom