My Beardie won't eat by himself

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickT413

Our beardie will not eat by himself. He is 15 months old. about 20" in length and a sturdy fellow. 7 months ago he was not doing well. Our vet had us give him vitamins and calcium supplements by hand. He told us to feed Oreo by hand as well. Well, Oreo seems much better now, but I still cannot get him to eat by himself. It doesn't matter if its crickets, super worms, or veggies. He just looks at the food and watches it slither or hop away. I have to physically hold him and pry his mouth open, inserting food. After the first couple of bites he doesn't fight me, but I still have to gently open his mouth and insert food.

Any ideas?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type & brand of UVB light do you use, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light? How old is your UVB light? What type of basking light are you using, is it a bright white light or a colored bulb?
What are the temps in the tank? What type of thermometer do you use to measure the temps, a stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?

Tracie

RickT413

Original Poster
Habitat is 36" x 18", Using Mega-Ray 100 watt located 23" from basking log. Surface temp of basking log is 95 degrees. Temps recorded using digital thermo. with sensor on end of wire. Heat source at other end of the habitat is an Exo-Terra heat wave cermaic heat lamp 100W. It stays on 24.7. Night time temps is mid 70's. No other light source is provided (other than family room lighting and Mega-Ray). Giving ReptiCal with U3 and Flukers repti vitamins. Hope this is the info you need.

RickT413

Original Poster
One other comment. Because Oreo is in our family room, there is normally lights on in the room until 11 pm. His MegaRay comes on at 6:20 am so I can feed him before I go to work. He does have a long that he usually crawls into at night (around 7:15 pm when the MegaRay goes off). Sometimes I wonder if he is getting enough sleep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom