My beardie has lost ability to walk on front legs in a week. What is this!?

Beardie name(s)
Falkor
Setup is a 40 gallon zoomed, arcadia t5 12%, reptile carpet. 100 basking spot, 90s hot side, 80s cool side. Dubias and silk worms, superworms supplemented 3 times a week. Leafy greens and various squash salad daily. Multivitamin once a week.

I have no idea what's going on. Within 11 days my bearded dragon went from practically leaping out of his enclosure for a horned worm and running around the room like a manic to refusing any food and is unable to walk with his arms. I slowly noticed him spending time on the cool side and not eating his Salads and then one night I see he's wide awake when he's usually passed out 5 minutes after lights out and he was gaping and puffing his beard. I thought all of this was because of shed. But the next morning he's still gaping and I see he is sliding on his belly dragging his arms. I rushed to the vet as an emergency because I thought he couldn't breathe or was choking but that was ruled out, no impaction, fecal was negative for parasites, no respitory infection. The vet saw him struggle to walk and said MBD. After the x ray he said he was shocked it wasn't worse, lacking density in the toes. His toes have always been like that, I got him as an adult and had him checked out by another vet who said the same thing. But it's never hindered him from walking or running. And it shouldn't start within a week. The gaping was diagnosed as stress and discomfort. And they sent me home without answers and 300 dollars short. Told me to come back for more tests. Got metacam and antibiotics incase he gives himself a RI from aspirating. It's been almost a month and he has improved. He doesn't look half dead anymore and he's basking again. He still won't eat Salads so I'm making him slurries, but he did perk up at some silkworms, first solid he's eaten since late may. And repahy grub pie too. Even though his energy levels are up and he is moving around more he's still dragging his arms. He can readjust them and sit up straight fine it's just when he goes to walk. I don't know what this is. I wasn't the perfect owner, i put off replacing his tube light and was using a reptisun coil for 4 months. I just kept putting it off because I thought it could wait. I'd be lazy giving him Salads so I'd just feed him Bugs if I was tired. And I know he needs a bigger enclosure, even though it's on the floor and the doors are open when I'm home so he can free roam. This is probably my fault. I've gotten him a new tube light since the vet and I've stocked on produce. It might be too late though. I've started giving him diluted tart cherry juice every day to see if that will help his mobility and it seems to help. I've also ordered serrapeptase from tracies shop. I thought maybe he might have sprained an arm and since he can't drag one arm and walk he ends up dragging both. Or maybe it's because his toes aren't strong enough? I don't see how this happened in a week. I have a video of him when he was seeming fine. That was on May 26th, and I rushed him to the vet June 5th. I'll post that video and a video of him now. Excuse the enclosure I had to take out pretty much everything after he flipped off his basking rock. I'll also post some pictures of examples of how he's got the arm strength to hold himself up tall. Could this be a possible sprain or is it possible that his toes could cause this? Next vet visit will be over 400 for blood tests. If I don't see anymore improvement by next week I'll take him back.

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_160556_01.jpg
    IMG_20230623_160556_01.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 206
  • 20230627_144614.jpg
    20230627_144614.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230627_195711.jpg
    20230627_195711.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 20230527_190511.mp4
    7.6 MB
  • 20230625_213526.mp4
    6.2 MB

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jacklyn,

How is your boy doing today?
I did get your Serrapeptase shipped out so hopefully you will receive it pretty quickly.
I don't see any swelling as would be developing in gout, at the moment.
It is highly possible he hurt himself when he fell off of his basking area. You do have a
better UVB now, but make sure it is at the proper distance. What brand of tube are you
using, the Reptisun 10 tube?
He was moving around without any issues prior to him falling?
Many times they seem fine but their calcium levels are low but then all of the sudden they
begin to show signs of weakness. They are very good at hiding health problems!
How often are you using calcium for him?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Awkwardhippie67

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falkor
Hello Jacklyn,

How is your boy doing today?
I did get your Serrapeptase shipped out so hopefully you will receive it pretty quickly.
I don't see any swelling as would be developing in gout, at the moment.
It is highly possible he hurt himself when he fell off of his basking area. You do have a
better UVB now, but make sure it is at the proper distance. What brand of tube are you
using, the Reptisun 10 tube?
He was moving around without any issues prior to him falling?
Many times they seem fine but their calcium levels are low but then all of the sudden they
begin to show signs of weakness. They are very good at hiding health problems!
How often are you using calcium for him?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Hi Tracie, I couldn't figure out how to live chat with you yesterday, I'm so sorry. I'm using an arcadia 12 % bulb and the closest he can get now is 12 inches to it which is within range. And yes he was moving around fine, just a week before I took him to the vet. He slowly went off food, even Bugs and was on his cool side and then he started to gape and when he did move he was issues with his arms mainly. I never saw him fall before that. He just fell off his rock after he started having difficulties and I've padded the area around now. As for calcium, I was giving him 3 times a week, I was using without d3 mostly but I'd give him with D3 occasionally. And herptivite multivitamin once a week. I believe the issue was the coil bulb I was using and I feel terrible cause I put off getting him what he needed. It all happened suddenly. He's looking much better since the vet, he was pretty much limp and had no life in his eyes. And energy levels are up,so he's moving around more and staying on the hot side of tank and basking. He is still refusing salads. I'm currently feeding him slurries made with leafy greens, butternut squash, yellow squash. He is more tempted to eat Bugs though, silk worms dusted with calcium. I'm still giving him critical care once or twice a week to fill in any gaps and to help stimulate his appetite. He finally perked up at a Salad yesterday, I try everyday to offer him a little in his dish to see if he's ready. His eyes lit up and looked like he was going for it but then he changed his mind. I heard bee pollen might help with that, I saw some in your store, I might try that. Since the xrays didn't show any obvious damage besides the lack of density in his toes, and he's improving. I hope it was early signs of mbd and that caught it in time. It could be an injury, since they did not do a physical exam to check if it was a sprain or any bruising. The only thing I'm concerned is he still periodically gapes. It's clear it's a sign of discomfort, or stress, I hope it's not pain though. He does it alot more when I have to feed him and he will Puff out at me when he gets too annoyed. But I haven't seen his beard turn black. I want to wait about a week and see if he improves more, if it is a temporary injury, or if it is a lack of uvb. But if it's something else I don't know if I should wait that long to go back for more tests. I will attach a picture of the xray, maybe you can see something. Also did you see the video I attached to my other post of when he could walk right before this started?

Attachments

• 28671_Aussie_kallal_06-06-2023 14_53_21_1-1.jpg
    28671_Aussie_kallal_06-06-2023 14_53_21_1-1.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 62

Awkwardhippie67

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falkor
Update: even though he's improved alot these 3 weeks. He's still
Setup is a 40 gallon zoomed, arcadia t5 12%, reptile carpet. 100 basking spot, 90s hot side, 80s cool side. Dubias and silk worms, superworms supplemented 3 times a week. Leafy greens and various squash salad daily. Multivitamin once a week.

I have no idea what's going on. Within 11 days my bearded dragon went from practically leaping out of his enclosure for a horned worm and running around the room like a manic to refusing any food and is unable to walk with his arms. I slowly noticed him spending time on the cool side and not eating his Salads and then one night I see he's wide awake when he's usually passed out 5 minutes after lights out and he was gaping and puffing his beard. I thought all of this was because of shed. But the next morning he's still gaping and I see he is sliding on his belly dragging his arms. I rushed to the vet as an emergency because I thought he couldn't breathe or was choking but that was ruled out, no impaction, fecal was negative for parasites, no respitory infection. The vet saw him struggle to walk and said MBD. After the x ray he said he was shocked it wasn't worse, lacking density in the toes. His toes have always been like that, I got him as an adult and had him checked out by another vet who said the same thing. But it's never hindered him from walking or running. And it shouldn't start within a week. The gaping was diagnosed as stress and discomfort. And they sent me home without answers and 300 dollars short. Told me to come back for more tests. Got metacam and antibiotics incase he gives himself a RI from aspirating. It's been almost a month and he has improved. He doesn't look half dead anymore and he's basking again. He still won't eat Salads so I'm making him slurries, but he did perk up at some silkworms, first solid he's eaten since late may. And repahy grub pie too. Even though his energy levels are up and he is moving around more he's still dragging his arms. He can readjust them and sit up straight fine it's just when he goes to walk. I don't know what this is. I wasn't the perfect owner, i put off replacing his tube light and was using a reptisun coil for 4 months. I just kept putting it off because I thought it could wait. I'd be lazy giving him Salads so I'd just feed him Bugs if I was tired. And I know he needs a bigger enclosure, even though it's on the floor and the doors are open when I'm home so he can free roam. This is probably my fault. I've gotten him a new tube light since the vet and I've stocked on produce. It might be too late though. I've started giving him diluted tart cherry juice every day to see if that will help his mobility and it seems to help. I've also ordered serrapeptase from tracies shop. I thought maybe he might have sprained an arm and since he can't drag one arm and walk he ends up dragging both. Or maybe it's because his toes aren't strong enough? I don't see how this happened in a week. I have a video of him when he was seeming fine. That was on May 26th, and I rushed him to the vet June 5th. I'll post that video and a video of him now. Excuse the enclosure I had to take out pretty much everything after he flipped off his basking rock. I'll also post some pictures of examples of how he's got the arm strength to hold himself up tall. Could this be a possible sprain or is it possible that his toes could cause this? Next vet visit will be over 400 for blood tests. If I don't see anymore improvement by next week I'll take him back.
An up

Hi Tracie, I couldn't figure out how to live chat with you yesterday, I'm so sorry. I'm using an arcadia 12 % bulb and the closest he can get now is 12 inches to it which is within range. And yes he was moving around fine, just a week before I took him to the vet. He slowly went off food, even Bugs and was on his cool side and then he started to gape and when he did move he was issues with his arms mainly. I never saw him fall before that. He just fell off his rock after he started having difficulties and I've padded the area around now. As for calcium, I was giving him 3 times a week, I was using without d3 mostly but I'd give him with D3 occasionally. And herptivite multivitamin once a week. I believe the issue was the coil bulb I was using and I feel terrible cause I put off getting him what he needed. It all happened suddenly. He's looking much better since the vet, he was pretty much limp and had no life in his eyes. And energy levels are up,so he's moving around more and staying on the hot side of tank and basking. He is still refusing salads. I'm currently feeding him slurries made with leafy greens, butternut squash, yellow squash. He is more tempted to eat Bugs though, silk worms dusted with calcium. I'm still giving him critical care once or twice a week to fill in any gaps and to help stimulate his appetite. He finally perked up at a Salad yesterday, I try everyday to offer him a little in his dish to see if he's ready. His eyes lit up and looked like he was going for it but then he changed his mind. I heard bee pollen might help with that, I saw some in your store, I might try that. Since the xrays didn't show any obvious damage besides the lack of density in his toes, and he's improving. I hope it was early signs of mbd and that caught it in time. It could be an injury, since they did not do a physical exam to check if it was a sprain or any bruising. The only thing I'm concerned is he still periodically gapes. It's clear it's a sign of discomfort, or stress, I hope it's not pain though. He does it alot more when I have to feed him and he will Puff out at me when he gets too annoyed. But I haven't seen his beard turn black. I want to wait about a week and see if he improves more, if it is a temporary injury, or if it is a lack of uvb. But if it's something else I don't know if I should wait that long to go back for more tests. I will attach a picture of the xray, maybe you can see something. Also did you see the video I attached to my other post of when he could walk right before this started?
An update: he is now climbing to bask on his own!

Attachments

• 20230629_154849.jpg
    20230629_154849.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 57

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jacklyn,

How is he doing today?
The x-ray doesn't look too bad. "Sorry you weren't able to find the "Chat Now" button on my site.
It isn't the contact us option, but a new option now with the Chat Now.
The calcium a few times per week, with the herptivite weekly is fine. The D3 is fine a few times per
month, as long as the UVB is within range of him to receive good lighting. The Arcadia D3 12% tube
is a good bulb. You can have that bulb at a 8-10 inch distance, for good strength. Be sure that the
basking light is directly beside the UVB light.
It sounds like he might have strained his back falling possibly. There might be a slight issue on the
spinal area on the x-ray.
He is climbing a little bit now? I hope he starts to feel better soon. Has he eaten anything?

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Awkwardhippie67

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falkor
Can yo
Hello Jacklyn,

How is he doing today?
The x-ray doesn't look too bad. "Sorry you weren't able to find the "Chat Now" button on my site.
It isn't the contact us option, but a new option now with the Chat Now.
The calcium a few times per week, with the herptivite weekly is fine. The D3 is fine a few times per
month, as long as the UVB is within range of him to receive good lighting. The Arcadia D3 12% tube
is a good bulb. You can have that bulb at a 8-10 inch distance, for good strength. Be sure that the
basking light is directly beside the UVB light.
It sounds like he might have strained his back falling possibly. There might be a slight issue on the
spinal area on the x-ray.
He is climbing a little bit now? I hope he starts to feel better soon. Has he eaten anything?

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Awkwardhippie67

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falkor
Can you give me any tips on how to get him closer to the light, he is starting to climb, should I lower the light or raise the basking spot? He ate a slurry yesterday I made with mustard greens, butternut squash. Feeder day is tomorrow. Superworms since he hasn't had them in a whole, dusted with calcium. I will start reducing the calcium with d3 now that the uvb is better. You said you noticed something on the xray with the spine. Is that injury possible to heal? Is it due to mbd possibly? Thank you so much for your help by the way, I plan on buying your bee pollen to incourage him to eat his salads

Awkwardhippie67

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falkor
Can you give me any tips on how to get him closer to the light, he is starting to climb, should I lower the light or raise the basking spot? He ate a slurry yesterday I made with mustard greens, butternut squash. Feeder day is tomorrow. Superworms since he hasn't had them in a whole, dusted with calcium. I will start reducing the calcium with d3 now that the uvb is better. You said you noticed something on the xray with the spine. Is that injury possible to heal? Is it due to mbd possibly? Thank you so much for your help by the way, I plan on buying your bee pollen to incourage him to eat his salads
And the uvb in in line with basking bulb by the way. That way he can get both

Awkwardhippie67

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falkor
And the uvb in in line with basking bulb by the way. That way he can get both
One more thing, I really want to encourage him to exercise and try to walk, letting him catch some superworms tomorrow. If it's a spinal injury is that a good idea? Or should I tong feed him and let him rest. I'm starting to overthink every little thing I do for him, he's getting better but I don't want to make it worse, even though I mean well enough. These past few weeks I've been doing nothing but research and everything I can for him. I also don't know if I should take him back to vet, even though they didn't give me any answers last time. They diagnosed him with potential MBD but didn't tell me what to do about it other that a better UVB bulb. I don't know what other tests they could run on him to find out exactly what's wrong. Maybe I should seek a specialist, I'm sure there's one in memphis I could find.

Awkwardhippie67

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falkor
Update: he is more lethargic today than yesterday but otherwise in stable co
Update: even though he's improved alot these 3 weeks. He's still

An update: he is more lethargic today than yesterday, but otherwise in stable condition. Still don't understand why he gapes like this. He's almost done with the round of antibiotics for the possible respitory infection. He opens in mouth from time to time and then opens it wider and flares his bearded and then he'll close his mouth and gulp. He does this randomly. I can't exactly time it but I caught it on video. I'll post it. Don't know if this is stress induced or he is showing signs of pain or discomfort.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

His beard is a bit dark, have you double checked his temperatures to be sure he isn't getting
too hot?
Has he had metabolic bone disease in the past? It is possible he has a little injury on his spine.
Can he move around without any trouble or does he limp at all?
For now, I would try to limit his climbing in case his spine is a little weak. He can definitely heal
but it just takes time. It sounds like the slurry is nutritious is he eating very much of it?
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just wondering how your dragon was doing, any updates today for us?
I hope that he had a great day!

Tracie

Awkwardhippie67

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Falkor
Hes
Hello,

Just wondering how your dragon was doing, any updates today for us?
I hope that he had a great day!

Tracie
He's doing better. Still not eating greens solid. But he did eat a few superworms yesterday. It was bath time too yesterday and he got some hydration and I took him outside with me while I worked on the pool. The serrapeptase came in earlier and I gave him the first treatment. He really liked the taste! His gaping has gone down quite a bit too, I've been checking his Temps once a day so I don't think he's overheating. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• 20230702_125039.jpg
    20230702_125039.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230702_133543.jpg
    20230702_133543.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 63

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Looks like he is supporting his weight on his front legs, thats a good sign 🙂
I love males with a big ole meaty head, your guy is gorgeous 😍.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom