My beardie doesnt have a large appetite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I could be wrong, but I think they have to actually swab his vent. But they will let you know what you need to do. Please keep us updated on the litle guy! If you do find out that he has adenovirus, I can give you supplement information. Also, you can PM Drache613 because she is a PRO with adeno. She's the one who helped me get my girl healthy, and she's actually currently working to find a cure for it.

Pmorris

Original Poster
So i just called my vet and they said they do test for it, but its like $200 to do so would you happen to know of anywhere i could send off for a test thats a little less expensive if possible??

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Holy crap! That's quite expensive. My vet did it for $60. PM Drache613. She works with ADV positie dragons and can help you do a much cheaper test. She usually gets on here around 11pm-midnight my time (eastern US time).

Pmorris

Original Poster
Yea thats what i said lol i guess because they're the only herp vet in my area but ill definitely pm her. She said on the phone thats why she didnt mention it yesterday because he was really healthy and active and just wanted a fecal on him.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
That's horrible that they are price-gouging tests like that though, just because they are the only one in the area. Yeah, definitely message Tracie (Drache613) and talk to her about it. For me, it was worth the $60 to find out for sure, and now I know what supplements to use to keep my girl healthy.

Pmorris

Original Poster
I know its the joys of owning a reptile in a small town but i truly do appreciate all of your help and advice.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
No problem! I learned from the pros here and wouldn't be doing them and our beardies justice if I wasn't passing this great information along. Do keep me updated! I hope your little one tests negative, but it's good to know either way!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, yeah I agree. Talk to Tracie about other options. I don't have the receipt handy at the moment but ADV test at my vet was well under $100. Vent swab and it gets sent to a lab so it's relatively simple to do.

Pmorris

Original Poster
Yea i sent her message but if i have to pay $200 i will i just want to have peace of mind that everything is functioning normally and hes okay. He acts normal and is very active but its better to be safe than sorry. Ive seen some pretty sad beardie stories from owners that couldve prevented things from going so wrong by simply just taking them to the vet and not having the proper test or care for them and i definitely dont want to be one of those stories.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's certainly a good mindset to have. Do you know if the vet's test included the cost of a general exam/visit? If so then it wouldn't be so unreasonable and it's good to build a relationship with a nearby vet so if something does go south they have some background and information to go on.

Pmorris

Original Poster
You know i didnt ask that because she did say that he would have to come back in to see them for the test. So it probably does include that additional vet exam too.

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
I agree with Cooper, that's a great mindset to have. I spent a lot of money on healthcare and husbandry for my girl, but I'd do it again and again. I got her from Petco originally, so I fought them and they ended up covering almost $500 in vet bills for her. Basically for selling us a sick dragon.

Pmorris

Original Poster
Yea ive spent about the same for my little natsu so far i try to get him the best of everything lol hes my only little baby so im trying to get everything right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom