My bearded dragon keeps hurting himself and I don’t know what to do.

AshenOne

Beardie name(s)
Cheems
Hey everyone, my bearded dragon is almost 2 years old and last month he’s been constantly hurting himself. He fractured his jaw from pushing a rock which I’ve been injecting him with antibiotics and medicine from the vet to heal. But lately there’s just more cuts and bruising on his face and he broke 2 of his nails fully removed to the nerve. Please I don’t know what’s wrong with him. He’s in a 70 gallon tank with a food bowl, water bowl, 100 watt bulb and a red night light

AshenOne

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cheems
Hey everyone, my bearded dragon is almost 2 years old and last month he’s been constantly hurting himself. He fractured his jaw from pushing a rock which I’ve been injecting him with antibiotics and medicine from the vet to heal. But lately there’s just more cuts and bruising on his face and he broke 2 of his nails fully removed to the nerve. Please I don’t know what’s wrong with him. He’s in a 70 gallon tank with a food bowl, water bowl, 100 watt bulb and a red night light

Attachments

• A9E909B9-3E1E-418B-86F9-60F6A7B699D1.jpeg
    A9E909B9-3E1E-418B-86F9-60F6A7B699D1.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 134

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The red light is causing the behavior please get rid of it- please post a pic of your tank and tell me what your using for your lighting

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
is the 100 watt bulb your basking bulb or your UVB bulb? and what are your temperatures? those two things are the most critical for their health and are the first place to start when troubleshooting problems. if those are on point you can start looking at other causes.

please stop using the red bulb. they should have no colored bulbs at all. they need it cool and dark to sleep. if your temps drop below 65° at night, use a ceramic heat emitter. they are heat only, no light.

AshenOne

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cheems
is the 100 watt bulb your basking bulb or your UVB bulb? and what are your temperatures? those two things are the most critical for their health and are the first place to start when troubleshooting problems. if those are on point you can start looking at other causes.

please stop using the red bulb. they should have no colored bulbs at all. they need it cool and dark to sleep. if your temps drop below 65° at night, use a ceramic heat emitter. they are heat only, no light.
The basking bulb, and his cage is usually 90-95 degrees. I only turn the red light on at night to sleep, he has a cool side to the left of his tank whenever he feels its too hot.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
what is your uvb then? is that 90-95 ambient temp on the hot side, or the surface basking temp?

the red bulb should not be used at all. ever.

work with karrieree that posted right before i did. she's the best when it comes to temps/lighting.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post full pics of the enclosure ? Pushing a rock shouldn't fracture his jaw, did the vet take an Xray to determine that ? Is your beardie eating ? I've had rambunctious beardie's break off nails, it ends up fine because these are tough creatures. You can use unpasteurized honey on the little wounds. Mix it with a few drops of warm water + apply with a Q-tip. And I agree , get rid of the red light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking bulb, and his cage is usually 90-95 degrees. I only turn the red light on at night to sleep, he has a cool side to the left of his tank whenever he feels its too hot.
You want surface basking temps of 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - please cool and dark for night time 65-75 unless he's sick then a ceramic heat emitter would need to be used - they produce heat No light- your uvb tank temps basking temps and basking bulb all control the overall health and behavior of your dragon

AshenOne

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cheems
Thank you all for the info, I will proceed to immediately stop using his nightlight. I’m also attaching a picture of his setup, the rock on the right is what he wedged himself into and pushed around 4 inches away from the glass. And yes it was a lower jaw fracture, his row of bottom teeth on one side is now two completely seperate lines. I also already removed some of his enclosure stuff since a few days to reduce any additional injuries for now, there’s more in there, just stored away for now. His food bowl is empty because I can only feed him via syringe for now which is a mixture of some green fiber herbivore critical care and carnivore critical care powder. I also have been using a set of needles the vet gave me every 3 days to boost his immune system for the fracture I believe.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which antibiotic have you been giving him & for how long has he been on it?
Is he bashing into the glass sides?
Please let us know how he is doing. Is he able to eat very well right now with a previously
broken jaw?

Tracie

AshenOne

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cheems
His current meds since last week are ceftazidime injections, metacam oral, chlorhexidine oral solution, carnivore and herbivore critical care(two separate bags I mix together with water to feed him every day). He's not able to eat at all since the fracture of last week, so I've been using a syringe of 4ml split between morning and night of his liquid mix food. Im a student so I dont sleep and Its the first time I havent turned on his night light, everything seems peaceful for him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His current meds since last week are ceftazidime injections, metacam oral, chlorhexidine oral solution, carnivore and herbivore critical care(two separate bags I mix together with water to feed him every day). He's not able to eat at all since the fracture of last week, so I've been using a syringe of 4ml split between morning and night of his liquid mix food. Im a student so I dont sleep and Its the first time I havent turned on his night light, everything seems peaceful for him
Dragons need cool and dark to metabolize his system - if lights are on 24 hrs not necessarily in his tank but the room itself he will get no sleep - another reason for the behavior - night lights are not good - colored bulbs can cause all kinds of damage to the dragon and especially the eyes

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, be sure he is staying hydrated. The meds can be hard on his system.
How is he doing this evening? It is good to allow him to be without a light, during
the nighttime, it does help them sleep better.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom