My Bearded Dragon is very sick.. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Not that often, every 3-4 hrs. during the day if he'll take it. I know this is really a tragic situation. Hopefully he can hold on and a vet might help. He is def. very ill though.

starsearcher4

Original Poster
AHBD":2lqrywly said:
Not that often, every 3-4 hrs. during the day if he'll take it. I know this is really a tragic situation. Hopefully he can hold on and a vet might help. He is def. very ill though.
Alright. He is drinking- whenever I offer it, and he is sitting with his head raised despite looking horrible

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good. And just turn the lights out at the usual time , about an hour after the last drink.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Is it possible he ate dairy (they shouldn't, but mine licked the spot where I spilled ice cream once, and she exploded on my bed, lol), unwashed produce, or raw meat? I know from personal experience that the only time I literally pooped 99% water and then had the most insane thirst of my life was when I ate some unpasteurized ice cream. Also, we are in a pandemic, and bugs are slow to ship, so I had to feed my beardie a boiled egg once just to make it the 24 hours before her shipment came in, but I don't know if others are doing the same thing, and maybe a food-borne bacterial infection is to blame? (I'm not sure if it affects lizards, though, since they have a different microbiome.) If it's the case, your beardie might be able to tough it out until you can get to the vet on Monday.

starsearcher4

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":19ik961a said:
Is it possible he ate dairy (they shouldn't, but mine licked the spot where I spilled ice cream once, and she exploded on my bed, lol), unwashed produce, or raw meat? I know from personal experience that the only time I literally pooped 99% water and then had the most insane thirst of my life was when I ate some unpasteurized ice cream. Also, we are in a pandemic, and bugs are slow to ship, so I had to feed my beardie a boiled egg once just to make it the 24 hours before her shipment came in, but I don't know if others are doing the same thing, and maybe a food-borne bacterial infection is to blame? (I'm not sure if it affects lizards, though, since they have a different microbiome.) If it's the case, your beardie might be able to tough it out until you can get to the vet on Monday.
Definitely not. I did give him Flukers bearded dragon adult mix, he doesn’t usually eat it, since he seems to only eat stuff that moves.. but he wasn’t seeming too interested in drinking much the last time I tried to give him a bath, so I figured him eating moist food would at least help..

starsearcher4

Original Poster
He had an odd reaction too last time I fed him that food.. did it the same way I fed my other bearded dragon. He loved to be 11, so I figured it was good food.. but could an allergic reaction or something cause this sort of reaction? Last time he had it, he had a bout of diarrhea and bloating, but he didn’t get THIS sick.. he was fine the next day

SPandS

Juvie Member
How does he look today? How old is the food? Is it possible that it went bad? Did he get sick before or after he was outside? Could he have eaten something he shouldn't like a bug?

starsearcher4

Original Poster
SandP":3nlnk68y said:
How does he look today? How old is the food? Is it possible that it went bad? Did he get sick before or after he was outside? Could he have eaten something he shouldn't like a bug?
He survived the night, but still very sick. I just bought the food, checked the exp date and it isn’t expired. He got sick after he went outside, he was on my leg the entire time. I fed him a couple of mealworms. He did ..sort of poop? It was very wet, tiny, and it was all white

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How's he doing today ? Is there anything in his tank or out that he may have eaten to cause impaction ? It wouldn't be a few mealworms but anything like fake leaves, rock, etc ? Even that is a far shot, they generally pass foreign objects easily unless they were unusually large or a high number of something.

starsearcher4

Original Poster
He looks like he doesn't have long. His eyes can't stay open, he isn't moving much. I am just trying to keep him comfortable at this point. He won't drink anymore. He has nothing foreign in his tank that could cause an obstruction. I am starting to think his kidneys are shutting down by what I've read.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that's what I suspected from the beginning , that he's very ill with organ failure or cancer. I'm so sorry, it's nothing you did and there's likely nothing that could be done. I really feel for you, it's so sad to see them go. :( Hang in there.

starsearcher4

Original Poster
Thank you.. I don't know how he went downhill so fast. It was just.. too soon. He is so young. I raised him from a hatchling. Literally the day before yesterday he was eating, alert, and happy. And now he is barely alive. I keep asking myself how something like this can happen...

starsearcher4

Original Poster
I put Waffles down today. He began to have breathing issues, started having seizures, and was not moving much else. He was suffering and the moment the vets opened, I went and had him Euthanized. The vet couldn't really say what he had, but from his later symptoms, they said it sounded like Pnuemonia. Thank you all for your help and support, I wish I could have had a little more time with him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am sorry to hear-- :(. It is so sad to have them go out this way- if you have questions in the future about husbandry or anything if you decide to get another- please ask
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom