My Bearded Dragon is very sick.. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

starsearcher4

Original Poster
KarrieRee":35i754uq said:
ok you dont need to tell me anymore--- you need to get that replaced w/ this - if your tank is 40 gallon or bigger you need to get a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 or a T 8 difference between the 2 is bulb strength --- T 5's can go either inside the tank or on top of screen -- T 8's need to go inside the tank -- both have different distances they need to be --- you need to get this ASAP ---
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/8/t5-ho.jpg this is instock now - do not use the bulb that comes w/ it its not for reptiles
ok so they are out of the bulbs on this website so you can get it from here another fixture
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/2934-large_default/reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.jpg
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/4445-large_default/d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22-arcadia.jpg
this bulb is a great bulb --- I would look at getting this ASAP-- the fixture from pangea will take this bulb as well --
Karrie
I have a hooded fixture that I used to use, but I went for the cheaper coil. I will try and get a new light for the fixture. If I order off the internet it will be a while, do they sell those bulbs at petco?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
In the meantime --- I would get him outside for some UVB---65+ degree temps--- you can either hold him on you in direct sunlight for ever how long you want -- 15 minutes will equal out to 4 hrs of UVB--- or you can put him in a plastic tote NO glass -- partial shade/ direct sunlight for 15 minutes no longer the tote will heat up and you dont want to burn him up-- you can do this every day till you get a new UVB --- what size is the fixture?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Every store is different -- I would call before going there and see what they have in stock --- most only carry the T 8's which is fine -- if you have a 18" fixture or 20" fixture they should have a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 in stock ------------that is what you want --- NO Zilla or Thrive brand --- you want a Reptisun
Karrie

starsearcher4

Original Poster
KarrieRee":aedil1eh said:
In the meantime --- I would get him outside for some UVB---65+ degree temps--- you can either hold him on you in direct sunlight for ever how long you want -- 15 minutes will equal out to 4 hrs of UVB--- or you can put him in a plastic tote NO glass -- partial shade/ direct sunlight for 15 minutes no longer the tote will heat up and you dont want to burn him up-- you can do this every day till you get a new UVB --- what size is the fixture?
Karrie
Sadly it is raining and we are set to have thunderstorms till Tuesday. I can’t bring him outside, but I did have him with me for an hour outside soaking up sun yesterday, I bring him outside whenever it is sunny here; which is sadly not as common as some other places. I have a rabbit playpen that has mesh fencing, I use a wide holed metal screen to keep him inside, he gets a lot of sun when he can come out. Uh I think it is..big. It doesn’t say. But what was in it was 32 watt. I never really used it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How big is your tank ? Is it the whole length of the tank? You dont want a fixture the whole length of the tank ---- he needs to be able to get out of the UVB rays if he wants to that is why I suggested the 24" fixture --- see if you can find a 20" fixture from your local petstore --- even if its a Thrive brand or Zilla-- you can ditch the bulb it comes w/ and use a Reptisun 10.0 bulb and it would be a T 8 and it would need to go inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from your basking decor --- work on getting that replaced and I would take him to the vet ---- the vet you have is experienced w/ reptiles?????????? Here is a website for finding a vet
www.arav.org try that and see what comes up
Its great your getting him out for sun that has helped I am sure but w/ you saying that something else could be going on as well -- but you still need a better UVB --- that coil is NO good
Karrie

starsearcher4

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nxm42lr said:
How big is your tank ? Is it the whole length of the tank? You dont want a fixture the whole length of the tank ---- he needs to be able to get out of the UVB rays if he wants to that is why I suggested the 24" fixture --- see if you can find a 20" fixture from your local petstore --- even if its a Thrive brand or Zilla-- you can ditch the bulb it comes w/ and use a Reptisun 10.0 bulb and it would be a T 8 and it would need to go inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from your basking decor --- work on getting that replaced and I would take him to the vet ---- the vet you have is experienced w/ reptiles?????????? Here is a website for finding a vet
http://www.arav.org try that and see what comes up
Its great your getting him out for sun that has helped I am sure but w/ you saying that something else could be going on as well -- but you still need a better UVB --- that coil is NO good
Karrie
They need to get out of the UVB? I thought that was just the basking light. Sadly it’s full tank, I don’t have a cover for the tank so I’d have to buy a screen as well *sigh* Yes my regular vet is a herp vet. I have searched all vets, even in the next county over. Either they refer me to the people I called first or said I could bring him in for euthanasia...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No euthanasia---- unless he is so sick he is unrecoverable ------------ how wide is your tank?
Karrie

starsearcher4

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1okgwytz said:
No euthanasia---- unless he is so sick he is unrecoverable ------------ how wide is your tank?
Karrie

Two feet. I would never dream of it.. I raised him from a baby.. he is still young.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so you can take a piece of wood length wise skinny like a board lay it across the tank so its hanging a little over the edges and use zip ties to hold fixture in place --- or look for a screen to place on top of the tank --- it is up to you ---- look on Amazon for a screen I was on a website that sold screens - I would look for one w/ hinges so it opens up from the front --- does you tank have front doors on it I am guessing not
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet-Supplies-Terrarium-Covers/zgbs/pet-supplies/2975517011
Karrie

starsearcher4

Original Poster
I don’t understand how he can drink so much and none of it seems to be helping. No my tank doesn’t, it’s just a giant fish tank, but it does have a middle divider. I could probably set it up there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
With him drinking that much water it could be kidney or liver issues -- he needs blood work done --- get him into the vet and go from there ---
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just offer small amounts of the water/Pedialyte mix but mostly water. I'm really sorry you're going through this. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom