My baby bearded dragon has pink eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VDeFily

now i know its not literally pink eye. but shes has been getting crusties in her eyes for the last few days. ive been clearing them out with a wet qtip but they keep coming back. now shes been sleeping alot and i know this is around the time of brumation so its not worrying me to much but i just know nothing about the crusties in her eyes. and it looks like it is making her not able to open her eyes very easily.... any advice?

30 gal tank 100 watt basking lamp. reptisun 10.0 uvb. red night lamp. green carpet as bedding. day temps 95-100 basking spot up to about 110.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Is the Reptisun 10.0 a tube or a compact? Is your basking light a clear/white bulb? Get rid of the red light at night - if it gets below 65 F you need a ceramic heat emiter. Is there a cool side of your tank? Also, if your dragon is a baby, he will not brumate. If he is sleeping during the day, this may be a sign that something else is wrong.

VDeFily

Original Poster
its a compact i cant afford the tubes... and to me it looks clear in the middle and its fades to a white alone the sides. haha idk if that makes sense but its kinda what it looks like. she sleeps a little bit during the day but other then that she basks under the uvb light most the day on the hot side. i do have a cold side and that sits anywhere from 75-85 i think probably a little less im saving for a temp gun.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
The coil bulb is the problem. They harm the beardies eyes. You really should save up to get the ReptiSUN 10.0 tube bulb, and shut this one off for now. It's not good for your dragon, at all.

VDeFily

Original Poster
its the one that looks like an energy saver florescent bulb right? and how is it bad for them i thought the repti-sun 10.0 was a good bulb?

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Reptisun 10.0 TUBE FLORESCENT is a good bulb, not the compact. The compact (coil bulb) harms their eyes. Also they don't need the red light for night time. That doesn't allow them to get continuous sleep. If it doesn't get below 65 in your tank at night then you don't need a bulb in there for heat. If it gets below that at night, then use a ceramic heat emitter.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
The compact coiled bulbs cause issues because of their erratic emission rates of UV that cause a lot of photo sensitivities in reptiles, or photo conjunctivitis (causing crusty, closed eyes and lethargic behavior. Ultimately, if the problem is not fixed, the animal can die).

The fluorescent tubes have a more linear, smooth emission rate and are generally replaced every 6-8 months.

If you cannot "afford" a new bulb, then purchased a ReptiSUN 10.0 tube from petmountain.com. They are only $21-24, as opposed to the $50 you will find them priced at in the pet store.

If you still cannot afford that, shut the light off you currently have and well, either save up for a better light or give him to someone who can. Lighting is the most important feature to give when owning any reptile because they are ectothermic. Please correct the issue before it gets worse (and if it does get worse, you will have to take him to the vet... which will cost WAY MORE than a simple bulb change).

-Glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom