My Adventure with Riley, Phantom and Quill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I am starting a new thread to put all of my soon to come memories with me new little beardie!! I am also creating a blog if anyone is interested (I have never blogged before so we will see how it turns out :mrgreen: ) I know I have a few people who wanted me to start a new thread for this so here it is!!

I will start out by sharing Parker's old tank that is cleaned and ready for its new friend!

Here also is a link to my new friend that should be arriving in the next few days!
http://beardeddragons.co/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=205

Anyone have any name suggestions?? I was thinking about the name Riley but I will have to see if the personality fits lol.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow thank you so much. I have most of those things at home lol.

I refuse to buy anything off beardeddreagon.Co because those are the same people I bought Phantom from that never contacted me back when I tried to reach out about his health when I first got him. That's how I got stuck with this whole mess. He was supposed to have a 6 month health guarantee but they never stuck to that so they lost good business. I work at petsmart and used to recommend them to anyone who bought a beardie but now I don't tell anyone about it.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Now I remember and I sure can't figure out why they'd be like that. Maybe I can let Cheryl know what's going on, see what happens.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I mean I have had him for a year now or almost and have spent between $200-$300 on bills, products and medicine for him. I just feel so bad. As soon as I can look into those websites and products u recommended I will.

He is gaining weight bit not much. He is shedding his body right now which is only the 2nd time since I bought him. He is still smaller than Riley with those long lanky legs. I hope he grows more.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I hope so, too, so unfair that they never contacted you about him. At least funds back for the vet bills.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey guys so I'm bringing home a sick beardie from work. He is probably no older than 2 or 3 months old. He is so tiny he fits in the palm of my hand. He is extremely lethargic and his eyes are sunken in and he can't open them. I knew he was getting sick approximately a month ago but they didn't wanna take him to the vet yet. They wanted to see if we could nurse him back to health by ourselves. I understand they might not have wanted to put the money out when they aren't 100% sure if something is wrong but I was ready to bet on it that something was wrong.

So a few days ago we took him to the vet but they literally had be drop him off and called the next day to pick him up. On the paper it says they did an exam but they never said what was wrong or if he had parasites or anything. They said we should give him .2 ml of vanilla ensure but that doesn't seem to be enough. I can't take bring him home because he's not allowed to leave the store so I decided to buy him as he is just to save his life. The associated just don't have the time to sit and spend with him like he needs. Plus I have electrolyte powder, acidophilus, carnivore care and bene back at my house which I know will help him. I also had my dad pick up some all natural chicken baby food.

If anyone has advice or recommending please let me know.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
First he needs pedialyte baths. So here's a good recipe that I use, doesn't cost you anything but some sugar and salt. So take 1 qt hot water, add 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and mix up well. Add that to whatever you're using for his bath and add cold water until it's warm. You can do this morning and night and it will help him alot.

The chicken can be added to the carnivore care, with butternut squash babyfood, too, so take 1 tsp carnivore care, 1/2 tsp chicken and 1 tsp squash babyfood, mix up together and add 1/4 tsp of bee pollen if you have it. The bee pollen helps his immune system. You can put a couple drops of the electrolytes and acidophlius in the carnivore care mix so he gets it all at the same time. Also add a pinch of calcium an vit/min to the mix.

The pedialyte baths are really important, twice a day for sure. He needs to bask after the mix and don't give him any bugs or greens for now. The squash is a good veggie for him. Once he's taking the mix down well and has gained some weight, you can start him on tiny bugs, if you have them. small dubia would be good for a start, pinhead crickets, too.

Hope all goes well and you should check with the vet to find out exactly what they did with him and what their conclusions were. Why is the company paying for a vet without any conclusions? Doesn't make sense to me.

Keep me posted, babies can just not thrive, hopefully doing all this will help him alot.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much Deb. That is a big help.

I know I used to have bee pollen but I can't find it. Maybe I used it all. He seems to not be doing well today. I gave him a bath and some of the mix u recommended and he ate it but now he is like nothing. I am watching his breathing and it seems pretty good but he just can't move really. I have him under a heat lamp right now to bask.

I feel so bad for this guy. He is just all bones. I have a back and forth conversation with my boss about this guy and I may or may not make him mad that I took him home but I don't care. I just want to save his life. I know he can't get the attention at work that I can give him.

I was so frustrated with my boss cause he has been on vacation since last Sunday so he has not seem how far downhill this little one has gone. He was almost telling me I couldn't take him. Saying not to take work home with me and blah blah blah. Like this animal is dying...don't you care??? I can't image his reasoning in it but I took him anyway. I couldn't sit there and watch him die and not do anything to help him. Ensure wasn't gonna do anything.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Ensure isn't made for dragons, not sure why anyone would suggest it. It's for human consumption only. As for your boss, corporate thinking?

You can get bee pollen at any health food store. They come in capsules, usually, just take the capsule apart and put some in the mix, you can't overdo bee pollen, plus it make the mix sweet.

So keep giving him the pedialyte baths, a few times a day if you're home. It will help him alot. It's amazing how dehydration can cause severe health issues. Do you have a warm blanket he can stay in under his basking light? That will keep him extra warm and he needs warmth. If you can wrap him up & snuggle him, that will help him, too. Poor sweet baby.

Keep me posted, hopefully he'll take a turn for the better.

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately no, he took a turn for the worst. He didn't make it. It was just too late. And it makes me mad cause I told my boss he should have gone to the vet a month ago but instead I took him 3 days ago. That's far too long for him to wait.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so sorry, poor sweet baby. You're right, but I blame it on the breeders selling their babies too soon. They have to have a couple of months to determine if they're healthy or not. There's alot of adenovirus going around I've heard. I've never had my crew tested and I'm not going to as they're all very healthy. But babies who have the virus tend to not thrive.

You did your best, now you can tell your boss he was wrong about this little one.

Take care
Deb

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah I know I wish they didn't send them to us so young but that's on Petsmart as a corporate business. I don't think my complaint would make a difference on a bug corporation like that unfortunately

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Either do I, it's just the way pet shops work. It's not just Petsmart, the pet shop where I get crickets works the same way, the babies are tiny but they try to do the best thing for them

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Oh my gosh I did something bad! I brought home another beardie lol. I have 3 now! This one is only a baby. Very active, healthy, eating well and pooping regularly. Not 100% sure of its a boy or girl but I'm leaning towards a boy so I'll call him a he for now. He only weighs 10.6 grams! Compared to Riley's 481 grams he's like a paperclip! Lol! He's really pretty though. He is very curious. If u enter the room his eye will follow you all over. I have a water dish in his cage because that's what he is used to at work and he uses it to give himself his own baths and drinks from it too :) So far he has been very east to care for.

I want to post some pictures but my computer broke (long story) and it's very time consuming to do it from my phone. But I will find a way somehow and get some pictures up soon! Can't wait to see all the halloween beardies next month lol.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Congratulations, oh my, beardies are like potato chips, you can't have just one :lol: Sorry, I had to say that, me with 5 and 2 geckos :lol:

Looking forward to pictures and a name, too. Did you find your house yet? Won't it be great to have a reptile room?

getgab92

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He everyone! So yes we did buy a house. We just settled on monday so it's been a very busy few months! But as you already know I have a baby beardie and I had a question. As of now she is not eating or basking all she wants to do is hide and sleep. Like she wants to brumate. But that doesn't seem normal for a less than 2 month old dragon.. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom