My adult beardie won't eat his greens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently got a 5 year old beardie from a family member who no longer could keep him. Unfortunately he won't eat greens! He will only eat insects! Which confuses me because he's an adult, and adults need more greens and less insects. I've tried everything, hand feeding, bowl, outside his cage to eat, etc. I've tried everything, (in salads) mangos, cucumber, banana, pellet food, calcium, no calcium. But he just doesn't care! I've even tried to lour him in with an insect topper but he will just eat the insect then leave! I dont know if he's just a picky eater or if I'm doing something wrong? :?:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You're not doing anything wrong. They can be quite picky and stubborn, especially if they aren't used to a balanced diet. How is his weight? Can you post some photos of him? If he's a healthy weight then I would just offer him salads for a while. Eventually he will get hungry and dig in but it will take some tough love and patience to get him used to eating a healthy diet. Eventually he'll get used to salads every day and bugs only every 3-4 days or so but it may take time.

I'm having the same problem.

"Eventually he'll get used to salads every day and bugs only every 3-4 days or so but it may take time."
Okay this is what no one ever says. I get the tough love part but how long is "eventually"? How long can they go without eating? I'm on two days now and i know he's starving.

FalcorFeatured

Original Poster
THATS WHAT IM WORRIED ABOUT TOO! I though I was the only one, today is day two I read that adult beardies can go a couple of days after eating some bug but then they wrote "especially if they are having plenty of salads". But that's my problem. He won't eat his salads! Ugh I'm annoyed and worried for my beardie at the same time.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I know its tough but stay the course, they will not starve themselves. They will eat it but, they are holding out knowing you will cave in at any time......don't do it. They play a mean game of "Mexican standoff"!

FalcorFeatured

Original Poster
Its been two days and he hasn't eaten a thing! I'm starting to get worried, I put food in there every day hoping he will eat. But he doesn't!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Eventually varies from dragon to dragon so it's tough to say exactly. An adult can go for well over a week without eating if they want/need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom