My 2 year old Beardie is starting to eat again but is skinny

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmcnick

Hello. I was wondering what the best method to fatten up a malnourished bearded dragon would be. He is very very weak. I have to place him near his food for him to eat it. He is skinny, especially noticeable when he is puffed up and he appears nearly flat. Should I use multi-vitamins? Pinky mice? Silkworms? I'm very worried about my little guy. He is acting pretty well as opposed to very little energy.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Do not feed pinkies to beardies. They don't digest them like snakes. The little bones can cause impaction. Is this a rescue? Does it have mbd? Can you post a picture? What was his previous diet? What is his set up like?

nmcnick

Original Poster
Not a rescue- just wouldn't eat for awhile and I've heard force feeding is bad. Enclosure is 4' x 2' x 2' with a 75 watt basking light, uvb 10.0 Bar light, rept carpet, 104 degrees Fahrenheit on basking spot, 93 ambient temparature in basking half, 85 in cool side. Feed him Phoenix worms. Will post pictures ASAP.

nmcnick

Original Poster
11421695_10203090509102825_221282274_n.jpg

11429428_10203090509702840_317048093_n.jpg

11422722_10203090511662889_863571382_n.jpg

11297937_10203090511462884_415298179_n.jpg

11289870_10203090509222828_686468282_n.jpg

I just got him out after I fed him and he had a little water droplet coming from his mouth..
11637974_10203090506822768_2135226950_n.jpg

Gail

BD.org Addict
I wouldn't call him malnourished but if he isn't eating properly, you should figure out why. Have you had him checked for parasites?
silkworms/hornworms would be great and they help with hydration too. Don't try to pack the weight on too fast, a good healthy diet will be the best for him.

nmcnick

Original Poster
Gail":2ur7d4eg said:
I wouldn't call him malnourished but if he isn't eating properly, you should figure out why. Have you had him checked for parasites?
silkworms/hornworms would be great and they help with hydration too. Don't try to pack the weight on too fast, a good healthy diet will be the best for him.

Sounds good. Does he look very skinny or is he doing pretty well? i'll order some silkworms and hornworms.

Gail

BD.org Addict
He's a little skinny but not excessively so. He does look dehydrated though, will he drink if you put him in a bath? The silkies/horns will get him hydrated right up. Does he eat any greens/veggies?

You can get some baby food, chicken and a veggie like squash is good, mix it together with a pinch of calcium, vitamins and a little water to thin it out some. Use a eye dropper to hand feed this mix, most dragons will lick it off if you drop it right on the front of the lips. This will get some nutrients and energy in him while you wait for the worms.

nmcnick

Original Poster
Gail":1dgeem6p said:
He's a little skinny but not excessively so. He does look dehydrated though, will he drink if you put him in a bath? The silkies/horns will get him hydrated right up. Does he eat any greens/veggies?

You can get some baby food, chicken and a veggie like squash is good, mix it together with a pinch of calcium, vitamins and a little water to thin it out some. Use a eye dropper to hand feed this mix, most dragons will lick it off if you drop it right on the front of the lips. This will get some nutrients and energy in him while you wait for the worms.

Sounds good, will do. Yes he will eat veggies very well actually. I will give him a bath as well. However he doesn't drink if I give him a water bowl, he is more responsive to moving water I've noticed. He won't drink from the bath unless its flowing so I usually try to stir it around with my fingers and that helps. I'll try that. Thanks for the help!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Very few dragons will drink from a dish, thats why so many people give baths instead. Some people have luck with giving water through a eyedropper or using a spray bottle and very slowly spraying the front lips but my dragons have always hated that.
I suggest giving your guy a bath every day for a few days so he has a chance to drink well. You can also mist his veggies for a bit extra water intake.
Its good he eats his veggies, let him have all he wants and try to find some high protein greens like alfalfa or white clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom