MVB, What's wrong with PowerSun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I'm getting a MVB, and I would like to order from petmountain.com since they have a lot of other things I need or want to upgrade. They have good prices, too. But, some people have said that PowerSun is not a good brand.

I know that everyone recommends the MegaRay, and the T-Rex is next, but why? I can get the T-Rex bulb through LLLReptile, but they don't carry some of the other things I am shopping for (although I really like lllreptile!).

What do you guys think? Thanks for any opinions!!

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
My personal issue with the powersun is that I had two burn out on me in under 3 months each.

Here's the other reason:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourfloods.htm#zoomedpowersun

This is a site dedicated to reptile UV bulb studies. The "other two" they mention are the T-rex and the Megaray.
If you play around on this site, you'll also notice that the powersun is putting out a little less UVB than even the reptisun 10.0 flourescent tube. At a safe distance (12 inches) the powersun puts out under 50 uW/cm2 compared to the reptisun's 70-80 output. The T-Rex puts out right around 200 uW/cm2 at 12 inches and the Megaray puts out even more.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, the MegaRay is next to impossible to find. petmountain.com actually has the t-rex, but they are tucked away in their clearance section, and the only one they have available is the 160W....

Is the PowerSun a bad bulb, or is it just not as good? I need to ditch our current strip bulb asap, so I see MVB as the best replacement..

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
Well...
As stated above, the reptisun flourescent tube is a better bulb in terms of UVB.
The powersun isn't a "bad" bulb exactly. It won't hurt your beardie. You just can't count on it lasting a whole year. And it won't be putting out as much UVB as the reptisun 10.0 even if it does last a year. There's just no point in shelling out for an inferior MVB.

Basically- I don't know why you are going MVB if you are getting a powersun. I've found that I need a second heat source with my MVBs, so not necessarily an advantage there. And less UVB than good strip flourescents. Powersun's have under 25% of the UVB output of a Megaray or a T-Rex. Megaray's are easy to find in the US. See below.
http://www.reptileuv.com

If you can get 18 inches away from your beardie, the 160w is fine. I have one in one of my cages.

Obviously you really want to buy this bulb. I just don't see the powersun as worth it. Frankly, I don't see why you don't do two separate orders. You'd only save about $5 on Shipping & Handling.

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
I know it's a MVB. What I'm saying is that it misses out on the high UVB output of good MVBs.
The benefit of a MVB is an insanely high UVB output. Only the megaray and the t-rex have those high UVB outputs. I'll repeat- the powersun has less of a UVB output than the reptisun 10.0 flourescent tube.
If your temps are on now, why bother messing with the system. It's basically the same cost wise, with most MVBs you still need an additional heat source and with the powersun you aren't reaping any of the high UVB output awards.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
But, my UV strip light is bad for my beardie's eyes.. I don't have a ReptiSun 10.0..
That is why I want to "mess with the system"...

I would prefer a Mega Ray... but I may have a blind beardie before one shows up after being on backorder...

Owner of Max

Hatchling Member
If you're going to buy a MVB bulb, why buy a Powersun MVB when you know it's an inferior bulb? Give your BD the best when you already know there is a much better product available.

Megaray is the best by far! (T-Rex is basicly the same since it got the patent from Megaray, but 100% of the Megaray's are tested before shipping)

Bob at Megaray is awesome! If you ever have any questions you can give him a call and he'll personally help you. He really cares about the well being of our reptiles. When I had problems with my T-Rex, I called Bob when I couldn't find any help. Needless to say, I have a Megaray now.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Owner of Max":e3d12 said:
If you're going to buy a MVB bulb, why buy a Powersun MVB when you know it's an inferior bulb? Give your BD the best when you already know there is a much better product available.

Megaray is the best by far! (T-Rex is basicly the same since it got the patent from Megaray, but 100% of the Megaray's are tested before shipping)

Bob at Megaray is awesome! If you ever have any questions you can give him a call and he'll personally help you. He really cares about the well being of our reptiles. When I had problems with my T-Rex, I called Bob when I couldn't find any help. Needless to say, I have a Megaray now.

I searched the heck out of these boards, and I never saw anything 'bad' about the PowerSun. Thanks for the suggestion to call the company. I called and talked to the guy, Bob?, and he was really nice. He didn't realize that it said on the website that they were still in back order. And he practically guaranteed me a bulb if I ordered by the weekend. He said that the only glass blowing company he uses are 'very religious people' who take off a lot of days in the fall, so it makes it hard to get them this time of the year.

I needed a 100 watt specifically, since all of the other boards concerning the MVB's suggested a 100 for a 40l tank. I don't think I could get it that far away from Blazey if I had to get a 160...

Thanks!

Owner of Max

Hatchling Member
I use my 160W Megaray in our 40g breeder. I have the light fixture hanging from an adjustable lamp stand and it works fine. I live in WI and still end up needing additional heat during the fall-winter-spring. My first T-Rex was a 100W and Bob was actually the one that convinced me that the 160W makes the most sense.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I do not have an mvb, but I definitely see what zimbabwepegasus and Owner of Max are saying.

My take on it is this. If you could buy 2 different gallon jugs of water for around the same price. But if one of them only has it 50% full, then, if you are going to buy a gallon jug of water, why not get the one that is full capacity. Both are gallon jugs, and both have water, but one of them does not have the same amount of content.
You will have to replace the one that is only half full much sooner.

So I think that is what they are saying about these bulbs. They are both mvb's and are both fine, but if you are going to buy one, then why not get the one that has a better output and last longer. You will have to replace it less often, and your beardie will get a better benefit from the extra uvb.
The one bulb wont hurt the beardie, but it just wont be getting as much benefit.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Jiffy":b0af4 said:
My take on it is this. If you could buy 2 different gallon jugs of water for around the same price. But if one of them only has it 50% full, then, if you are going to buy a gallon jug of water, why not get the one that is full capacity. Both are gallon jugs, and both have water, but one of them does not have the same amount of content.
You will have to replace the one that is only half full much sooner.

So I think that is what they are saying about these bulbs. They are both mvb's and are both fine, but if you are going to buy one, then why not get the one that has a better output and last longer. You will have to replace it less often, and your beardie will get a better benefit from the extra uvb.
The one bulb wont hurt the beardie, but it just wont be getting as much benefit.

I understand your logic behind that.. but what if you were after a gallon, but the brand you wanted wasn't there? You would take the other one, if you though it was just as good. Sometimes it might not be 'just as good', or it might be sour! But sometimes, that stranger in the store might catch you before it's too late! :lol:

apbgv

Hatchling Member
I have been using the t rex light for years for my tortoises and have been very happy with em. I get mine from Carolinapetsupply.com, a lot of the stuff is geared toward torts but the guy who operates it is great. Granted the lights are a bit pricey but I like the heat I get along with the uva/uvb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom