MVB Question re cool side of tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on plans for a larger viv for Dexter based on the crossfire design. I am unfamiliar with MVB's but would like to use one in the new viv as they seem to be the best choice. Since you would only use an MVB on the basking side as they give off so much heat, and since a flourescent is not needed across the entire tank with an MVB, what is typically used for light on the cool side?

Christine

nesta's mommy

Sub-Adult Member
i have a 60 watt household bright white bulb in there, keeps the 40 gal breeder at perfect temps now that i've tweaked the basking spot a bit.

also, there is a minimum distance away that your beardie should be from the mvb (sorry if you already know this) because it is such a powerful bulb

clamentfamily

Original Poster
nesta's mommy":b8f7c said:
also, there is a minimum distance away that your beardie should be from the mvb (sorry if you already know this) because it is such a powerful bulb

Thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense, I forgot that the new viv would be larger than the 20 gal I have now, so a household bulb won't heat the new viv up like it does a 20 gal. I've just started my research on the MVB. Do you recall the minimum distance? I'll be sure to take this into consideration when determining the height and decor of the viv!

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
I personally dont have anything on my coolside. My basking spot /warm side has an MVB and a 60w household bulb, and the temps are perfect.

clamentfamily

Original Poster
I am surprised to hear that you have both an MVB and a 60 watt on the basking side... does the MVB not give off enough heat? I thought I'd need to be more worried about it giving off too much heat. What size is your viv? I just want to make sure I have all my basis covered when I build my viv.

I've got a 40gal tank with a Reptisun 36in tube across the top, working in combination with 2 zoo-med 75W "daylight" Blue bulbs... with a Zoo med 100W spot lamp for basking? Is it too much? I've had the same setup on Stripes' home since we upgraded to the 40gal, but she's been acting funny lately. Any ideas?

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
I have a 55 gallon deep. I have a 2nd lamp because my house is on the cool side. In my other apartment the MVB was perfect and when it was real warm out it was too much and I'd turn AC on. But this apartment I needed a 2nd bulb, lol.

clamentfamily

Original Poster
JailBirdStripes":8ec49 said:
I've got a 40gal tank with a Reptisun 36in tube across the top, working in combination with 2 zoo-med 75W "daylight" Blue bulbs... with a Zoo med 100W spot lamp for basking? Is it too much? I've had the same setup on Stripes' home since we upgraded to the 40gal, but she's been acting funny lately. Any ideas?

Just curious as to why you have both the Reptisun and the 2 daylight blue bulbs. As long as your temps are ok, I doubt it is too much. But I'd be interested in seeing some other responses as I am new to this. How old is Stripes and what type of "funny" is she acting? Could she be starting to brumate?

FATBOYDADRAGON

Hatchling Member
Christine
I built a 4x2x2 crossfire design enclosure.
I bought a 100 sb mvb from http://www.reptileuv.com
The distance from the mvb bulb should be minimum 12 inches on the 100 wt
18 inches on the 160 wt.
My basking rock is14 inches from bulb.
The 100 watt was not getting hot enough so next to it about 4 inches away
i added another dome and 75 watt halogen from wal-mart.
This keeps the basking area at 103F
On the cool side a added a 18 inch bright white floresent (home depot 6 bucks)
this keeps the cold side in the 80's
i have pictures of my set up.
Click on veiw all posts and you can get an idea of what i done.
Hope this helps...have fun with the new beardie home :blob5:

clamentfamily":32aad said:
Just curious as to why you have both the Reptisun and the 2 daylight blue bulbs. As long as your temps are ok, I doubt it is too much. But I'd be interested in seeing some other responses as I am new to this. How old is Stripes and what type of "funny" is she acting? Could she be starting to brumate?

Before I explain, is there a possibility that there's UV coming from all the different lights, and they contradict each other??? That would be helpful info...

The fixture I have has place for a tube on one switch, 2 "regular" lights on another switch, and a third single "regular" bulb on the third switch...

The tube stretches across the whole top of the tank, the 2 bulbs are blue "daylight" for heat AND more light, and the single is on the cool end, and is a red "night" light that i'll use if my room is TOO cool at night. I'm actually thinking about getting a ceramic heat emitter in place of it so I can sleep at night with it on (the cage is in my room).

The reason for the 2 daylights? For light AND heat, as the UV tube doesn't provide heat at all... actually one is out right now, and the tank isn't as bright, nor as warm. The spotlamp comes on about 2 hours after the rest of the lights, and goes off about 1hr 45 mins before the rest turn off (everything on a timer). I figure it's the most and consistant "natural" heat/light I can provide without timer/dimmer/rheostat. Despite all that , her temps are good, there's a good temperature gradient, climbing tree, basking rock/cave hide, yada yada yada....

The "funny" she was exhibiting is/was that she wasn't eating, wasn't pooping regularly (not even every 2, 3 or 4 days as is "normal for her age"). When she did poop on her own last, (almost 10 days) there was a "glob" with red in it, and another time the "glob" had red specks or grains in it. She's about 10.5/11 months old now (based on an educated guess of 3 weeks when we bought her in January). AND she had been sluggish/lazy, even out of her tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom