MVB paired with 100 watt uvb bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, i just currently bought a 100 watt MVB for my 40 gallon glass tank. Since i already had a 100 watt uvb bulb i just put that on the left side and put the MVB on the right side. My question is do you guys think thats to much uvb exposure? I just figured if he wants to go to the cool side of the tank he would still have uvb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Was your original bulb a UVB light as well? Or was it just a 100w basking light producing heat? For a 40g enclosure, using 2 - 100w bulbs might produce a bit too much heat for the space. I'm not sure which brand of MVB you have now (they vary in output strength and shape between brands) but generally if you put a 100w MVB about 12'' above the main basking area it will produce adequate UVB.
The trick is then to be providing an appropriate temperature gradient. If your surface temps are around 100 with the MVB at 12'', then that should be all you need. If the temps are too low, then you might want to add either the original bulb for more heat or use a heat projector/ceramic heat emitter to supplement the heat produced by your new MVB.

Austin0394

Original Poster
I had 2 lamps, 1 being the Mvb and the other being a uvb bulb also but the Mvb starting flickering and i was also reading different things so i went ahead and returned it. I now have a basking bulb and the reptisun t5 10.0 uvb setup. I figured thats the most recommended so ill go with that. Thabks for the reply.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok as long as that screen is a WIDE hole type your good distance 8-10 inches w/ the basking directly under it -- for a fine screen like a screen door it should be in the tank - 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I cant see the screen but the tank looks nice --- what brand of MVB are you using?

Austin0394

Original Poster
Oh sorry i was just showing you the distance lol but its up there in the front. I bought the reptisun brand. Seems to be the best recommended out there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I see the UVB but the screen is crucial in the UVB rays getting thru--- Reptisun brand ? what is it and wattage ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry I meant the MVB ---- what is the brand? bulb wattage? and your screen is fine mesh or wide hole ?

Austin0394

Original Poster
Sorry for being confusing. When i started this thread i had a mvb but i actually traded that in for the reptisun setup. So i currently have the reptisun t5 10.0 and a 100 watt basking bulb along qith a 40 watt bupb just for lighting. Also not sure what type of mesh. Its the thrive brand habitat lid. Sorry again for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom