mvb & light fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
diamc":495e9 said:
Beardie parents is right, a 100 watt MVB should be a minimum of 12" away and a 160 watt a minimum of 18" away . They put out a lot of ultra violet rays and that is why they are so special but at closer than the minimum distances, damage to the beardie could occur. They also do throw off a lot of heat if they are working properly.

Also wanted to mention that the MVB's should not be used at an angle as that could damage the filaments in the bulb. The bulb needs to always be flat. That info is posted on the reptiluv website.

Thanks, I made some adjustments and posted it here as to not unintentionally hijack this thread :-D
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=93329&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
shermansmom":eb57a said:
I know a few people on this forum that have talked to Bob (reptileuv) and he has told them that it is ok and there is no problem using the megaray at an angle. It doesn't affect the bulb nor the BD at all in a negative way, it's all the same effect when you use it vertically.
Actually, this has been brought up before and the bulbs can be damaged if used at an angle & it also is harder on their eyes when used that way. Bob reports that they should be used in a flush & flat position. Here's some info I found while researching this.
The MVB must be kept level never mount them at an angle, as this will not allow them to work properly and will shorten their life span/premature burn out. And as was mentioned mount it toward an end never in the middle.
this was quoted by fresnowitte (Barbara)

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Tuskugee":66cdf said:
thank you for all your help! You are so generous! One last question... What is your temps?

Hey, thanks! My temps are about 102-110 on the basking rock, which is a semi flat rock that lays at the very bottom of the tank. He has a log beside it that he uses to thermoregulate, and still be near the warmth.
The cool side is perfect at 79-81.

Also, no I don't use sand.. I use tile.

Tuskugee

Hatchling Member
Alright thanks. I ordered 100watt mega ray, and 48inch fluorescent light to make it brighter. Since I bought my fluorescent tube fixture for 50 dollars i don't want to waste it and besides what can extra white light harm? ;)

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Tuskugee":bfe14 said:
Alright thanks. I ordered 100watt mega ray, and 48inch fluorescent light to make it brighter. Since I bought my fluorescent tube fixture for 50 dollars i don't want to waste it and besides what can extra white light harm? ;)

BDs like it bright, so that's good!

raleej337

diamc":e7c64 said:
shermansmom":e7c64 said:
I know a few people on this forum that have talked to Bob (reptileuv) and he has told them that it is ok and there is no problem using the megaray at an angle. It doesn't affect the bulb nor the BD at all in a negative way, it's all the same effect when you use it vertically.
Actually, this has been brought up before and the bulbs can be damaged if used at an angle & it also is harder on their eyes when used that way. Bob reports that they should be used in a flush & flat position. Here's some info I found while researching this.
The MVB must be kept level never mount them at an angle, as this will not allow them to work properly and will shorten their life span/premature burn out. And as was mentioned mount it toward an end never in the middle.

so you really can't use it at an angle? because I spoke with Bob less than a month ago and he stressed that it is perfectly alright to use the bulb at an angle. Maybe I'll just give him another call before finally placing my order.

isearch12

Original Poster
Well my new megaray SB 160 is on its way and today I pick up a Fluker's 10 inch 250 watt clamp lamp. I made 4 aluminum legs for it to give clearance for the megaray bulb and a aluminum shield to keep the light out of our eyes. When the bulb gets here I will secure the lamp to the screen with screws and wing nuts. This I hope will solve my MVB problems for the next year. Next project will be a bridge.
chris

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
raleej337":0c007 said:
diamc":0c007 said:
shermansmom":0c007 said:

so you really can't use it at an angle? because I spoke with Bob less than a month ago and he stressed that it is perfectly alright to use the bulb at an angle. Maybe I'll just give him another call before finally placing my order.
The very first MVB I bought was a Megaray and I couldve sworn Bob also told me NOT to put it on an angle :? I still have the box for it and it says to call (252)240-9088 with any questions.It would be a good idea to double check.
Just to add... Diamc brought up a good point.Angling the bulb can be hard on the beardie's eyes.It would be safer to have the light directly ABOVE him/her

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Tuskugee":09dc1 said:
Very true! :D I did the same thing.I put the flourescent on the cool side of Jojo's tank just to brighten it up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom