MVB inside the enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
I am getting ready to upgrade to a bigger enclosure. I have a MegaRay 100w MVB. I'm looking for info on mounting the MVB inside the enclosure and the appropriate height.

Is 24" tall enough to mount an MVB 100w bulb inside the enclosure?
Do I still need to use the dome fixture? If not, is there a specific fixture that I need to use as long as it is ceramic?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
gregorydragon":b0139 said:
I am getting ready to upgrade to a bigger enclosure. I have a MegaRay 100w MVB. I'm looking for info on mounting the MVB inside the enclosure and the appropriate height.

Is 24" tall enough to mount an MVB 100w bulb inside the enclosure?
Do I still need to use the dome fixture? If not, is there a specific fixture that I need to use as long as it is ceramic?

12" is the minimum distance you want your BD to be from the light, 24" is, I believe, beyond the max distance, though (although, that can be fixed easily by adding a higher basking spot). I know some folks use MVBs inside enclosures. I know nothing about electricity, but as long as the socket is ceramic/porcelain it is safe. You need them so they can withstand the heat produced by the bulbs. You can probably find something that you can mount (without using the dome fixture) inside it; someone at your local hardware store should be able to help you, though (if not, go to a different hardware store ;) ).

1happymommy

Juvie Member
My MVB is mounted inside with a ceramic fixture that is just screwed into the ceiling and a hole drilled thru the back for the power cord. My viv is 24" tall and it works great. The first few months I used one layer of red bricks and a few tiles & the temps were fine. Now I had to add on one more brick to raise up the basking spot to get a good temp. I also have a bulb cage around the bulb. I did not use a dome. It mounted on the right side and it keeps it cooler on the cool side in the summer.

DSC05485.jpg

DSC05495.jpg

Gary251

happy mommy i am looking to do something like this with my tank, my height is approx 20.5" high, you reckon that the same setup as yours would still alow me to have 12" distance between the bulb and basking surface? would you be able to tell me the disatnce from the inside roof of ur viv to the end of the bulb? so i can do some measurements in my tank please? looks like it is roughlt 7 inches from roof to bulb face.

Thanks alot!

binger

Hatchling Member
Gary251":e9caf said:
happy mommy i am looking to do something like this with my tank, my height is approx 20.5" high, you reckon that the same setup as yours would still alow me to have 12" distance between the bulb and basking surface? would you be able to tell me the disatnce from the inside roof of ur viv to the end of the bulb? so i can do some measurements in my tank please? looks like it is roughlt 7 inches from roof to bulb face.

Thanks alot!

I just emailed Bob at reptileuv.com this same question.... If I get an answer first, I'll let you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom