Mucus and little blood

Alesiat

Beardie name(s)
Merlin
Hello! I have a female beardie 7 months old very active, eating well, basking regularly. Her basking spot usually 37-38 degree because of summer and she has Arcadia t5 uvb light both open for 12 hours per day. Usually she poops formed and normal but I have noticed that after she poops, she leaves some blood very tiny amount. I am feeding her with dubias, crickets, daily greens and carrot few times per week. She also has some mucus on her poop. I am living in Greece and it’s really hard to find a vet to get examination for reptiles unfortunately so I really don’t know what to do at this point. She doesn’t show any kind of illness behaviour but I am still panicking because of the things I read online. I thought I could get some advice from here. Thanks a lot in advance 🙏🏽

Attachments

• 7EFACD2F-5912-4BF9-899A-3AEAC93C0E0D.jpeg
    7EFACD2F-5912-4BF9-899A-3AEAC93C0E0D.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 187

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello! I have a female beardie 7 months old very active, eating well, basking regularly. Her basking spot usually 37-38 degree because of summer and she has Arcadia t5 uvb light both open for 12 hours per day. Usually she poops formed and normal but I have noticed that after she poops, she leaves some blood very tiny amount. I am feeding her with dubias, crickets, daily greens and carrot few times per week. She also has some mucus on her poop. I am living in Greece and it’s really hard to find a vet to get examination for reptiles unfortunately so I really don’t know what to do at this point. She doesn’t show any kind of illness behaviour but I am still panicking because of the things I read online. I thought I could get some advice from here. Thanks a lot in advance 🙏🏽
The poop looks ok - are you talking about the red next to the poop I am assuming- the insects are you feeding appropriate size? You dont want to feed any insect that is bigger than the space between the eyes - how many times have you noticed the red ? the mucus is normal we see that alot -

Alesiat

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
Yes I am talking about that red part. usually we give her medium crickets but because they did not have any small or medium, we had to give her large ones. I have noticed for few times in the past as well. right now she pooped again and at the end when she finished she left one drop of blood. I am assuming big roaches made it and she is having hard time while pushing the poop out. Would love to go and check with vet but unfortunately I have called every where today none of them was checking reptiles 🥺

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I am talking about that red part. usually we give her medium crickets but because they did not have any small or medium, we had to give her large ones. I have noticed for few times in the past as well. right now she pooped again and at the end when she finished she left one drop of blood. I am assuming big roaches made it and she is having hard time while pushing the poop out. Would love to go and check with vet but unfortunately I have called every where today none of them was checking reptiles 🥺
Your insects are too big --- you can cut them in half and feed that way but I recommend not feeding any more that big --- you do not want the vet doing any Enemas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is struggling to push the poop out please give her water it will help but no more large crickets --- I would start ordering on line for your insects -- www.dubiaroaches.com -- roaches are a better feeder and more nutritional how old is the dragon? go by the chart on the website please --- set up a 10 gallon aquarium or tote and get around 200 of them feed them dubia food along w/ dubia dew for hydration and you can feed squash fruit raw shredded sweet potato to the roaches as well - you can feed some baby food pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce to push the poop out add a drop of olive oil

Alesiat

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
Thank you soooo much for all of the advice, I cut feeding her with large crickets and tomorrow will find the small ones. She drinks water daily and I just gave her some. I didn’t know that cutting insects would help because I always thought they need to eat them alive, excuse me I’m very new in reptiles. I will follow your suggestion. Thank you so much again ❤️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you soooo much for all of the advice, I cut feeding her with large crickets and tomorrow will find the small ones. She drinks water daily and I just gave her some. I didn’t know that cutting insects would help because I always thought they need to eat them alive, excuse me I’m very new in reptiles. I will follow your suggestion. Thank you so much again ❤️
Make sure your dusting the crickets --- how old is the dragon?

Alesiat

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
I am dusting calcium d3 each time, she is 7 months old. Terrarium size 90x45x45cm

Attachments

• 728A4CFE-7335-493E-902A-F434D82F7CC0.jpeg
    728A4CFE-7335-493E-902A-F434D82F7CC0.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 52

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am dusting calcium d3 each time, she is 7 months old. Terrarium size 90x45x45cm
Sorry I missed it at the first post -- only dust once per feeding -- if your feeding 2 times per day only once - 5 x per week and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding - lightly coated -- your tank is a 50 gallon? how is she w/ salads? You can get some BSFL also known as calci worms nutri grubs or phoenix worms great for babies and young dragons use as salad toppers they are a staple feeder -- order large they are a small larvae

Alesiat

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
Sorry I missed it at the first post -- only dust once per feeding -- if your feeding 2 times per day only once - 5 x per week and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding - lightly coated -- your tank is a 50 gallon? how is she w/ salads? You can get some BSFL also known as calci worms nutri grubs or phoenix worms great for babies and young dragons use as salad toppers they are a staple feeder -- order large they are a small larvae
The store that I bought told me to dust every time because she was baby, that’s why I followed that. She likes salads, usually eats rocket, carrot, celery but prefers crickets mostly. I try to feed her with salads first and then give bugs to make sure she is eating salads as well. Tomorrow I will go to that store and check everything you mentioned and hoping that everything will go better 🙏🏽

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The store that I bought told me to dust every time because she was baby, that’s why I followed that. She likes salads, usually eats rocket, carrot, celery but prefers crickets mostly. I try to feed her with salads first and then give bugs to make sure she is eating salads as well. Tomorrow I will go to that store and check everything you mentioned and hoping that everything will go better 🙏🏽
She needs the D3 5 x per week on the insects --- calcium w / out D3 will be given 2 times per week at one year of age - D3 will drop to 1 time per week w/ your UVB your using -- I am posting a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its out dated its a good staple feeder

Alesiat

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
She needs the D3 5 x per week on the insects --- calcium w / out D3 will be given 2 times per week at one year of age - D3 will drop to 1 time per week w/ your UVB your using -- I am posting a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its out dated its a good staple feeder
Amazing information will do all of them, thank you so much for everything 🙏🏽

For one, 98 to 99 degrees F is wayyyy to low of a temp for a 7 month old. Temps should be 42 to 46 C. The food will not properly digest and can give them parasites. Undigested bugs coming out can cause blood because it hurts coming out. I would call everywhere and ask them how much a fecal float would be. It is important to know that she don't have pinworms or Coccidia. Next would be get more heat in there and make sure she is between 6 to 8 inches away from her basking spot. I hope you aren't using loose substrate. What is her food intake like? Bugs and salads?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you raise the surface basking temps and you find her not basking there for very long or sitting off to the side please get it down to 95-100 - most juvenile and older dragons do not like the high temps - usually around 5-6 months old it changes-

If you raise the surface basking temps and you find her not basking there for very long or sitting off to the side please get it down to 95-100 - most juvenile and older dragons do not like the high temps - usually around 5-6 months old it changes-
They are from the desert. They love high temps. You have to teach them to bask. At Nighy for a 7 month old it has to stay above 80 degrees F on the cool side. Please don't give wrong info.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom