Moving with a beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
In two weeks my family and I are moving from Tennessee to Montana with my bearded dragon. It's a three day drive, but we will be stopping at a hotel every night. I plan on setting up his permanent enclosure up every night at a hotel, but there isn't enough room in the back seat for his cage, so I will have to make a travel one. I was thinking of taking a styrofoam cooler and lining it with hot hands and putting his carpet over the hot hands. Would that be okay for traveling? Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....a styro cooler wouldn't work, most beardies like to scratch while in any container and he would tear it up easily. You might try a gym bag or a pet carrier instead. Line it with a few layers of newspaper, that way if he poos you can just lift out the dirty part. If you use hot hands, be sure to cover them so that your beardie can't come in contact with them because they get VERY hot, can definitely produce a serious burn. Even without heat packs your dragon would be fine on the trip though. I hope it all goes smoothly. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A 100L clear sided plastic tub with a clip-on lid would fit the bill nicely as an overnight enclosure , I'd go crazy with a hot pointy electric soldering iron to put a stack of air holes up near the lid on one end and down near the bottom at the other end - to permit air exchange when the lid is on overnight.

Will also do to pack some travel stuff in if you don't put the beardie in it while in the car. Be sure to secure the lid and strap it down while traveling with Mr Beardie in it for Mr Beardie's safety.
Regular stops to make sure he's OK and take the lid off would be good too especially if he's on in the sun for long periods, will get HOT.

I'd let the removalists take the permanent enclosure with the furnature and other household goods, he can do OK short term in a 100L tub if you provide adequate UVA and UVB and heat and lighting.
I actually used 100L tubs as rearing tubs for bluetongues and beardies up until about 8-9 months old.

I usually do rest stops every 2hrs when on long road trips. Even if just to get out and water a tree and then sit under a shady tree for 15 - 20 for a drink or a bite to eat. The beardie might appreciate a nurse and maybe a snack or a light misting (if it's warm in the travel tub) white the car doors closed and the windows are up to high for him to out, so he can't make a bolt for it and disappear into the woods never to be seen again. So a household spray bottle with some fresh water in it should be part of the travel kit, as well some live insects (in ventilated Esky) ,you can't guarantee finding a pet shop in each town you stay in overnight who carries live insects.

Don't leave the beardie in the closed up car for any period of time - sure way to kill an animal who doesn't have the ability to cool off. Especially in summer/fall when it's apt to be hot in the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom