Moving cross country with 2 bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

TokinJoo

Hello,

So I am going to be moving to a different state for a new job, and my beardies are definitely coming with me.

Now I have 2 beardies, Sir Reginald Von Bartlesby and Miss Snuggle Butts.

I was doing some reading and came across that they can literally cook inside my SUV, and that has me a little worried.

I am looking for all and any helpful advice to get my 2 beardies there alive and well.

The current plan is to move them into my smaller 40gallon tank, because it fits perfectly in the back of my SUV. Mount my 160w mercury vapor bulb, plug it in, and have it on while I drive the 8 hours to my new home.

Will this be ok?

If not, I was going to keep them in the 40 gallon tank and just cover the tank with a thick blanket to prevent the sunlight, that penetrates though the SUV windows, from getting to the beardies. Though, I am afraid 8 hours is too long for them without any light.

Matang613

How old are they? 8 hours should be no problem for two adult beardies, and can be managed with juveniles and sub-adults as well. They can be kept at the temperature you have the car, and it would honestly be best to just have them in tighter carriers, I'd say. They're more apt to get kind of shuffled around if you keep them in a 40 gal viv for the drive. Also, they should definitely be kept separate both during the ride and at home. I would not bother feeding them during the trip either. Make sure to toilet them before leaving.

PS: The names are great. Now you just need a Felicia Sexopants to add to the group. :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TokinJoo":2y8cw6fk said:
Hello,

So I am going to be moving to a different state for a new job, and my beardies are definitely coming with me.

Now I have 2 beardies, Sir Reginald Von Bartlesby and Miss Snuggle Butts.

I was doing some reading and came across that they can literally cook inside my SUV, and that has me a little worried.

I am looking for all and any helpful advice to get my 2 beardies there alive and well.

The current plan is to move them into my smaller 40gallon tank, because it fits perfectly in the back of my SUV. Mount my 160w mercury vapor bulb, plug it in, and have it on while I drive the 8 hours to my new home. <<<< no need to have the MVB on during the 8 hour drive to the new location.

They will be fine missing UV and heat for a day.

They will be best placed in two small animal carriers if adults or well ventilated small tubs of suitable size (lined with paper toweling) if small hatchlings (10L clear tubs are perfect) or juveniles (60L tubs with clip down lids are perfect).
A couple of tubs set up as show here if they are adults will keep you out of trouble viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

I'd just lay down an old towel in each tub for the trip , something soft to sit on and make sure there is nothing in the tubs that can become a missile in accident. Could put paper towels ontop the cloth towel ,this way if they poo , you can easily remove it and just lay an few fresh sheets down.

I definitely wouldn't have them in glass tanks in the back of the SUV if it's sunny and the SUV is not airconditioned. They WILL ROAST.
Will this be ok?

If not, I was going to keep them in the 40 gallon tank and just cover the tank with a thick blanket to prevent the sunlight, that penetrates though the SUV windows, from getting to the beardies. Though, I am afraid 8 hours is too long for them without any light.

TokinJoo

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys.
I made it to my new home a day and a half ago, and they didn't seem too stressed at all.
They have already acclimated as if they didn't even move. Running around having a blast.
I didn't realize how hardy these creatures are. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom