Mouth Sore/Growth on Lip

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulieGeek

Hatchling Member
My adult beardie has developed a sore or growth on her bottom lip. Can anyone offer suggestions?

She doesn't seem to be in pain, and she's still eating, but I don't like the look of it at all. It has developed in the last two weeks and appeared to have a bit of a scab on it yesterday. It does not appear to be bleeding.

67097-6900045988.jpg

67097-8896972295.jpg

67097-9366011931.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ouch, poor girl! This just developed a couple of weeks ago then? That is a pretty fast growing
area then. It may be an abscess, cyst, or a tumor.
I highly recommend getting her to a vet for them to aspirate some liquid from the area, if at all
possible to culture it for analysis.
I'm glad it isn't bleeding yet, but for now, you can get some raw, unpasteurized honey to put on
the area, to try & help keep it from getting infected.

Do you have a reptile vet you can get her to?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":1gpm6cyu said:
Hello,

Ouch, poor girl! This just developed a couple of weeks ago then? That is a pretty fast growing
area then. It may be an abscess, cyst, or a tumor.
I highly recommend getting her to a vet for them to aspirate some liquid from the area, if at all
possible to culture it for analysis.
I'm glad it isn't bleeding yet, but for now, you can get some raw, unpasteurized honey to put on
the area, to try & help keep it from getting infected.

Do you have a reptile vet you can get her to?

Tracie

I concur …. sooner than later …. these things can turn nasty and lifethreatening and expensive to deal with if left in the hope just home remedies will help.

I also notice that her eyes seem quite puffy. This can be due a range of problems from a vitamin deficiency to something MUCH worse …. it's worth asking the REPTILE VET about the puffy eyes too, blood work is likely to look into the lip/gum issue , so might as well ask for other blood tests too.

JulieGeek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’ve got manuka honey. I’ll start with that and get her into the vet ASAP.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll let you know what they find.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JulieGeek":2bzd39hs said:
I’ve got manuka honey. I’ll start with that and get her into the vet ASAP.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll let you know what they find.

She'll love it …. I've found all lizards have a sweet tooth.... She'll think she's getting a treat....

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you already have some manuka honey then. I agree, she should love it, the taste
is sweet but, medicinal, too.
Definitely let us know how things go. I am glad you have a vet nearby then!

Tracie

JulieGeek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update:

Back from the vet. I started her on Baytril yesterday, operating under the assumption that it couldn't hurt and might help. I also added a dose of vitamins and serrapeptase and fed her "goo" since she didn't seem to be interested in eating insects. I finished up with the manuka (which she promptly licked off... :roll: )

At the vet this afternoon, the mass was significantly reduced in size. Good thing is that she was extremely well-behaved at the vet. She's weighing in at a hefty 900 g and was pronounced extremely healthy overall. She let the vet get a good look at the mass and even measure it with calipers (5mmx5mm). Princess also very thoughtfully provided a fecal sample in the carrier...

Initial evaluation, based on the improvement after antibiotics, is that it's an infection which may (or may not) be associated with a tumor. We're going to treat the infection and reevaluate in two weeks.

Thanks all for the support and advice. I'll post follow-ups as they become available.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear about the progress ! I must ask though, can you post a full body picture of her ? Her weight is extremely high, just wanted to see the big girl.

JulieGeek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is a big girl.

Every bit of 900g and 60cm (or 2.1 lbs and 24 inches on this side of the pond...)

67097-9485821519.jpg

67097-9236649284.jpg

Julie
Loiosh
Princess Mononoke

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
JulieGeek":37a8lqr4 said:
Update:

Back from the vet. I started her on Baytril yesterday, operating under the assumption that it couldn't hurt and might help. I also added a dose of vitamins and serrapeptase and fed her "goo" since she didn't seem to be interested in eating insects. I finished up with the manuka (which she promptly licked off... :roll: )

my gang of skinks and beardies have always loved the manuka honey , when I was using it to treat Fluffy's infected eyes, tail stump and the lacerations on her back, she new the 50% manuka honey syringe was coming and was too keen to lick the drop off the end of it before I deposited it on an eye …. she LOVED the full strength manuka honey too …. I was using it to encourage her to take the CrittaCare Reptile from the syringe by dipping the end of the syringe in the honey first....

At the vet this afternoon, the mass was significantly reduced in size. Good thing is that she was extremely well-behaved at the vet. She's weighing in at a hefty 900 g and was pronounced extremely healthy overall. She let the vet get a good look at the mass and even measure it with calipers (5mmx5mm). Princess also very thoughtfully provided a fecal sample in the carrier...

Initial evaluation, based on the improvement after antibiotics, is that it's an infection which may (or may not) be associated with a tumor. We're going to treat the infection and reevaluate in two weeks.

Thanks all for the support and advice. I'll post follow-ups as they become available.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

Wow, she is a big girl indeed. :D
I'm glad to hear that she is doing well today. Hopefully, the Baytril will help out with the
mouth infection. Maybe it will all go away & wont end up being a tumor, etc.
Did the vet want to see her again in a few weeks?

Tracie

JulieGeek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes. Follow-up in two weeks. We're hoping the infection will be resolved so we can get a look at whatever is the source.

Good news so far--the mass isn't visible from outside her mouth today.

In terms of her size, I read an article (I think posted here?) that described a study which demonstrated that maximum growth was achieved through good husbandry and feeding as much as the dragon will eat while it is a juvenile. I rescued her when she was a couple of months old and she ate EVERYTHING. She slowed down significantly when she reached her adult size and maintains her current majesty on protein a couple of times a week and salad daily.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great news! The tissue must have been badly inflamed which was
causing a lot of the swelling to occur. Maybe it isn't a tumor at all & just
inflamed tissue that will clear up with the antibiotics.
I think she's doing well but it looks like she is improving! I hope that the
next vet visit will go good. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom