Mouth rot or..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does he just need to brush his teeth?

My beardie recently had conjuncitivtis but has since recovered but when he was checked at the Vets they noticed he had small amounts of black on his teeth. The vet said that this is most likely tartar build up but I thought I would post it here anymore in case anyone notices anything else. He's 8 years old.

He had a fecal exam 3 weeks ago that came back clear.

His beard has also been relatively black recently but I think this may be due to changes to his UVB and heat lamp that he is still adjusting to but we are keeping an eye on him for other causes.

His diet consists of Dubia Roaches, locusts, occasional leafy greens (he chooses not to eat a lot of them) and butternut squash. He has Exo Terra Calcium during the week and Exo Terra Multi-vitamin at the weekend. He is a huge fan of bugs and won't eat half as much veg in comparison to roaches or locusts so I'm quite sure this is just bug build up. His mouth also seems very pink and not yellow like mouth rot symptoms are.

Here are the photos (trying to get another photo of the roof of his mouth but I haven't been in during the day recently when he basks more and has his mouth open):
TWBgW23.jpg

lV0qvb3.jpg

c8yrZuo.jpg

e4dhjEH.jpg

vXimwEz.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, those are just stains on his teeth. Other than that it's fine, most beardies will have some stains from their diet.

ewarwoowar

Original Poster
AHBD":1aohs4p4 said:
Hi there, those are just stains on his teeth. Other than that it's fine, most beardies will have some stains from their diet.
Hi AHBD,

Thanks for confirming and clearing my doubt!

Is there any procedure to clean this off or are they fine with it?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Crunchy bugs such as the roaches and locusts you are offering should help quite a bit. If you want to manually clean them you could try dabbing the teeth and gums with a q-tip. You could also use an oral cleanser like MaxiGuard if you wish but it's probably not necessary at this point.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I was going to suggest the same as Cooper with a Q-tip but DO be careful that your dragon does not decide to eat some of it, you know these guys !

A toothbrush can be used too if silly dragon cooperates + doesn't want to bite that as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom